Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical who carry’s a fire extinguisher?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, May 6, 2020.

1. karl share

karl share

I have Halon extinguishers in all of my cars. Hope i never have to use them.
    put a VW kombi out once at my front gate carried one ever since

Thor1 likes this.
  2. egads

egads

3. indyjps

indyjps

Yes. In all dailys and hobby cars, in every shop.

Thor1 likes this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have one in my '50 Ford. Prolly should at least get it out and shake it around a bit.

Thor1 likes this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's one of the cool things about the internet and online communities. Over time, if you pay attention, you might learn something.

And one thing I learned is car fires are a lot more common than I thought. It isn't simply a matter of carrying one at all times there's a safety mindset that needs to be incorporated into the routine especially whenever working with the fuel system e.g. replacing fuel pumps, carburetors etc. Old rubber fuel line is suspect, it doesn't hold up like it used to.

I wonder too, if a Big Ass box of Arm & Hammer (Baking Soda) might not be a bad idea (on top of an extinguisher)

Thor1, kadillackid and dana barlow like this.
  6. wicarnut

wicarnut

I do, years ago on a group cruise, car in front of me started smoking, fuel leak, he pulled over and VERY Lucky for him I and several people had that little fire extinguisher , we got fire out before fire got big, saved his car. I have always had at least the small unit, now have room in Merc, carry a bigger unit, my house/garages/shop all have fire extinguishers.

Thor1 likes this.
  7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have mounted inside the firewall next to the pass side kick Pandal, up out of the way but I can reach it need be. I put there after I almost burned the car down. Hade the carburetor off and bumped the start to get to tdc, sprayed gas on a hot motor. No good

Thor1 likes this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I don't want those flames Ernie!

Thor1 likes this.
  9. Fire Extinguishers need maintenance too. After driving and bouncing around the powder will compact and, pull your extinguisher and shake it up now and again. I had to take a rubber mallet to one once to get the powder loose inside.

I need to look into a Halon style that won't compact.

Thor1, wandi harry and Truck64 like this.
  10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Mine is mounted behind my seat in the inside storage compartment, easy to reach.
    I’m one that believes it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Thor1 likes this.
  11. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Yes, One in every old car. Hope I never need it but it's there. It's called peace of mind.

Thor1 likes this.
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes I have one in my convertible, I hope that I never have to use it, but won’t be without one!

Thor1 likes this.
  13. Yes in my toys, no in my daily, they make new pick ups every day.

Thor1 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  14. I have one in the Front seat, on the Tunnel of the Floor!
    And I think I will put another one in the Trunk.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Thor1 likes this.
  15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Sure do. Was on my way to a show one morning years ago when I came across a fellow going to the same show with a mid sixties Vette with the hood open on fire. I pulled over and got the fire out before it did much damage. I guess it's one of those things you don't think about till it happens. An old hot rodder once told me your car isn't a real hot rod unless it's caught fire at least once. I'm not sure if I believe that or not but I think that was the incentive to carry one. Not to mention you used to get points at car shows for it and I think you needed one to get your NHRA safety sticker.

Thor1 likes this.
  16. Stooge

Stooge

I should add one to my daily just in case, but in my old cars, I have halotron extinguishers, this one, (though it think they went up in price since I bought my last one) in a spot that's easily accessible from either side of the car https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HTR-HG250B seems like a good size and supposedly they don't make as much of a mess, though if I had a fire, I guess I wouldn't care as much about cleaning up the mess from the extinguisher afterwards.

Thor1 likes this.
  17. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I have a Halon (Halon 1211-1301) extinguisher mounted in front of the seat in one of my cars. The problem is they are quite expensive but are clean if you have to use it. The dry chemical extinguishers are inexpensive however make a real mess when used. The powder is very corrosive and hard to clean up.

I don’t have any affiliation with this company but another option is the Element fire extinguisher. i saw it on a Jay Leno video and looked it up vis Google. It is a stick about 12 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter so would fit just about anywhere. When used it makes no mess or leaves no residue. It is a bit expensive at about $80 compared to dry chemical extinguishers. More info can be found at https://elementfire.com/pages/models along with videos of it being used.
    upload_2020-5-7_9-50-25.jpeg

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

777B690A-4FAA-43A8-9717-80D0449B4B35.jpeg F08D9F36-B76E-486B-AD74-CFCE89328E0F.jpeg 5B904795-90F5-40C0-972E-6B88D20789E3.jpeg Yes. I have a problem ,as I collect the old brass Pyrene ones :oops: but I am running up to date one and may run a brass one for the look.

Thor1 likes this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

D4E6C770-0FD5-45DE-8434-94FBBE2223B9.jpeg I do have a couple of the Lagrange ones but a bit overkill not in use but for looks .:p

Thor1 likes this.
  20. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just recently started carrying one in my cars- I saw a video of a local guy's old Ford go up in flames last summer- that got me motivated.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. I usually carry one.

I have carried some that were real custom, but most of the time I carry whatever I can put my hands on and they are nearly always just tossed on the floor. Guess that speaks to my character. :D

Thor1 likes this.
  22. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Yup.

Thor1 likes this.
  23. Mine's a small one right behind the driver's seat

Thor1 and dana barlow like this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow thanks, those things are impressive. I think I’ll order a couple.
    I could easily mount one out of sight under the front edge of one of the bomber seats in my RPU. :cool:

Thor1 likes this.
  25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

First indoor car show I ever did in early 1960,the rules said we must have fire extinguisher,or not be in the show.
    Had to buy one that day to go in and set up ! Have had one in every hot rod to this day. Vary lucky never needed it for my car,but have used it 2 times on others over the years.
    Only one guy of the two,replaced my FireEX,the other must of thought god would replace it for me !
    Looking for a photo of the mount,I failed,but did find almost one,the space on driver side behind seat is the mount. There is a gap between the seat an side of car,big enough and can be seen there if one looks in to the gap. If photo was other way,it would show. So in this we only really see all the other grap I also keep behind my seat too. This space is my trunk pretty much,as the rod is bob tailed 28A.

035.JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    egads likes this.
  26. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I do now, I learned the hard way! School of Hard knocks! 56 Pickup 006.jpg

Thor1 and Jet96 like this.
  27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

On another board a feller said he used his extinguishers a few times on other people's cars. I think he spent a fair amount of time on the highway. He said he got tired of that, because nobody offered to compensate him for at least the cost of the extinguisher.

Consequently, as he would run up to a car fire with his extinguisher in hand he would ask them beforehand if they willing to pay for it. "YES YES YES!!!!!"

Years ago, Fire Departments weren't paid for by property tax. If you weren't a "subscriber", tough titties. They didn't put the fire out. And no, you couldn't sign up on the spot. They issued a cast iron plate that you bolted on to your house that showed you were paid up.

Thor1 and egads like this.
  28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yes, I have them in all my cars, OT ones too. Actually saved a friend's Model A before it got too bad. A little scorched paint on the engine and hurt pride only. Be safe, carry a good one!

Thor1 and egads like this.
  29. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I purchased a couple of these myself. Jay Leno said he wasn't making a dime on endorsing this product, just wanted to promote a good idea and I believe him.

30. this one has been in the truck for 19 years, plus a 10lb abc in the trailer box, luckily I haven't had to use any of em yet

Attached Files:

Thor1 likes this.