Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carcover.com

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, May 6, 2020.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone ordered a car cover from this outfit? I need a cover for my '54 Ranch Wagon until I can get the front suspension back on and roll it out of the sun into the garage. The price is reasonable and a supposed lifetime warranty(?) It is supposed to be a direct fit not a generic one size fits nothing thing. I know all about cheap price and good quality not going together. I don't need California Car Company Cover but I'm still on the fence. That said, I think I know the answer about ordering one of these covers but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had actually bought a cover from them. I see from a search that @brokedownbiker was going to place an order in April but nothing further. Thanks for any input.

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I've ordered several for my '31 and OT cars. Get the ones with the lifetime warranty.... they've replaced 2 so far, no questions asked just send a pic of the issue and they approve and ship quick.

Budget36 and 51504bat like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks

4. I bought one from them, direct fit is a crock, The one they sent for our '54 Ranch Wagon is some sort of universal one size fit's all cover for station wagons, it hangs off the car and looks like it is designed to fit a wagon with huge fins, I will never buy another one from them.

I wish I hadn't tried to save a few bucks and bought a California Car Cover, I know they fit, I have one for my 32 sedan. HRP

egads, Desoto291Hemi and olscrounger like this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I was afraid of. They say they have a 30 day back guarantee but I don't want to go through the hassle of buying it, finding that its a POS and then having to ship it back.

6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have said this before but it may need to be said again.
    California Car Cover is a reseller of products made by CoverCraft, why not cut out the middleman and by direct?
    https://www.covercraft.com/us/en

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Depends on what you're covering and why. The'31 cover isn't the best fit, but protects it. The one on the wife's C3 fits like a glove (and protects it as well).

8. Crayons

Crayons

Okay heres the deal...
    There are 2 companies with nearly the same name . CARCOVER (singular) and CARCOVERS (plural) . They are priced about the same ($200), but about as different as night and day. CARCOVER (singular) are simular to California Car Covers but cheaper. CARCOVERS (plural) have a outer layer of vinyl and allow NO dust or dirt through. They have a soft inner liner. The others are fabric and allow dust through them. On all of my cars outside I always used CCC (stormweave). When I wanted to drive one that had been sitting for a couple of weeks, I would have to wash the car before driving because it would be filthy. Not so with the CarCovers (plural) . After setting weeks, even months, I could pull the cover off and the car would be clean and I could just get in and drive. I've had people say "but the vinyl covering doesn't allow it to breathe "....well I have had mine for over a year with 105* temp, rain, 2 feet of snow and high winds with NO ill effects. Oh, and they come in a nice red box with lots of other goodies .

caprockfabshop and 05snopro440 like this.
  9. egads

egads

10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My recent purchases from carcovers.com went pretty much like HotRodPrimer's did. I ordered two covers- one for a 1951 Ford sedan and one for a 1941 Chevy sedan. They were said to be "direct fit" covers. When I got them out to put on the cars, I discovered that that they were identical universal-style covers. Both covers fit either car equally poorly. They are big and baggy but, hey, they are covering the cars so I'm going to use them; I don't feel like going through the hassle of trying to return them and then I'd still need covers.
    I really wanted a Covercraft fitted cover like I have for my OT '66 Mustang; it fits the contours of the car and fits snugly but they totally failed in their customer service (see my thread below)
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/car-cover-question.1162343/#post-13527086

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone for all the insight. The singular car cover vs. the plural carcovers differences is interesting. If I do decide to go with one of these cheapy covers I'll report back with my experience.

12. Please do as I might get something different then Orileys (for the ones that DON'T have the Cal Car Covers on them).

13. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I had LACOVERS.com (909-226-5328) custom make covers for my 49 Buick Sedanette and my 56 Chevy 150. They work well.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Interesting to see this thread this morning, I had posted in the other linked thread on this topic, with photos of the cover and how it fit my car. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/car-cover-question.1162343/#post-13217459

This was their best cover that came with a lifetime garauntee. It started to disintegrate when it was a couple of years old, and last year I contected them about it. I had to shoot some photo's of the cover and send to them by email, but they did warrant it and send me a new one, but I had to pay as I recall about $75, they prorated it (I don't recall any mention of prorating when I bought the "Lifetime" warrantied product) and shipping & handling. So it lasted about 3 years in the California sun.

I can say that the cover does do a great job keeping the car dry in the rain, and dust free, except when we get some strong winds and the dust blows up from underneath, no way to stop that I suppose. But a quick brush down with the duster removes that. People at church think I keep the car in the garage because it's so clean, but it sits on my driveway as the garage is full of motorcycles and guitars and amps (I need to do something about that...). All I do is remove the cover and dust it off and we're good to go. Occassionally I do wipe it down with some Meguiars Waterless Wash & Wax, that stuff is fantastic, I highly recommend it. And once or twice a year I'll refresh the wax on it. Under a severe rainstorm the cover will leak a little and I'll get some water spots, but it'
    s not severe and they are easily removed with the Meguiars and a microfleece towel.

I still am unhappy with the fit as it hangs off the back bumper and looks like a dirty diaper that needs to be changed, but after several years with it I can say that I do really like the way it hangs down and fully covers the wheels/tires all the way; that helps keep them clean and dry. I look at so many other car covers that fit the body real tight, and the bottom of the cover comes down to cover the wheels about half way, leaving half exposed. So I'm conflicted, I don't like the filled up diaper look, but I do like the wheel being fully covered.

At the end of the day, I still can't swallow the price of a cover from California Car Covers. This cover is only a few years old and has had to be replaced once now, and I expect it will again in another 3 years. Somebody mentioned their CCC lasting >30 years, yeah but was that outside exposed to the elements year round, with the severe sunlight (and smog) we get here in So Cal? Maybe they will endure the torture, I don't know. I'd be willing to put one to the test if they would provide a more reasonable price. Hey CCC let's work out a deal, contact me via pm and let's make an arrangement and I'll report back here to the HAMB how it works out. If it lasts >10 years than economically it may be better than the carcoversdotcom alternative. Will it protect as well or better, and fully cover the wheels while providing a nice tight fit with no dirty diaper syndrome? Let's experiment and find out.

15. We expect a car cover to FIT the car we will be using the cover on, why do they ask you what car you are intending to us it on?

I was under the impression that the word FIT means exactly what we would think it means.

Webster's definition : acceptable from a particular viewpoint, I suppose it comes down to the sellers view point,not the buyers.

I for one learned my lesson, California Car Cover is the best! HRP

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Some are more of a universal fit, some are more custom fit; obviously there is a cost difference between designing a cover that can be used on a wider variety of makes/models, and one that is designed for a specific make/model.

With that said, I just went out and looked at 3 websites, Covercraft (which it is claimed above is who makes the covers for CCC), carcover, and California Car Covers; of the 3, carcover.com is the one that offers the most selective choices for year/make/model/trim selection of all of them. And it was the least expensive, by far. With a lifetime warranty. Go look up 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe on all 3 sites, check out the selections. Now, how that actually fits the car I can't say, I'm just saying that they have the most complete listing of actual models, indicating that they have a greater grasp on actual car dimensions than the other 2, which are far, far more expensive. I'm just sayin....

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

From a perspective of providing protection to your car or station wagon, for a short time or long time, a cover is a good thing. As long as your car is relatively clean when you are ready to cover the vehicle. A dirty car under the cover will not be the best for the car itself. Moisture plus dirt is not conducive to a nice shiny finish.

When we got a car cover for our 327 powered Ford Sedan Delivery, at first we thought it was the California Car Cover Company. (@Blues4U post/thread) But, it was not, since they started later than the dates we had the sedan delivery. It was a car cover company located in So Cal, something like Covercraft or such company that the local hot rod folks used.
    upload_2023-2-21_3-6-40.png
    But the one thing we needed was to cover our two daily drivers from the outside weather near the ocean. We were in a carport and the cars were constantly getting any moisture blowing up the canyon walls from the ocean every afternoon and night. The moisture and fog are relentless as to their power moving inland when it gets cooler. We washed a lot and also, waxed a lot until we got a cover for my wife’s little sporty car and then finally, one for the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery .

The one thing we did not do was to put the cover(s) on a dirty car. At least we wiped it off with a cleaner soft towel, then put on the cover. That was a lot to do but our cars were always clean as they could be. If one of us came home late, then the car stayed uncovered until the next day. Our friends and family always commented that our family cars were always clean and shiny. We took car of our cars as if they were the “kids” that constantly need attention.

Jnaki

The cost was relative. For lowering the constant washing/wiping off after driving through fog or mist, it was worth the effort to have a car cover. The one thing the cover for the sedan delivery was made so we could run a cable lock underneath and into the secure/protected holes, after pulling the flaps inward/underneath the car. I rigged up a stretch cord to bring the rear and front flaps pulled into the locking mechanism, too. So, the complete cover for the sedan delivery was wrapped around and down near the tires.

At least, the fog and moisture would have to search around for a space to come inside and attack the chrome or paint. When we traveled with either car, the locking mechanism added to the security of leaving the cars outside of a resort hotel parking place or backwoods cabin.

It was worth the cost. It did not matter if the car underneath was 10 years old or relatively new. They both got the best cover we could get for our two cars. It is not the longevity of the car, the warranty or not, it is the protection value and the less effort of what we had to do to keep family cars nice, shiny and clean. YRMV

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it’s stored inside get the Covercraft with flannel touching the car. The outside is a what I call denim or Levi material. I’ve had mine 10 years and it comes off every weekend.