Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mismatched wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, May 5, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

ABEA76A9-AE20-4F9C-8D89-A59A92C87318.jpeg A47ABD05-BF2B-45D8-A557-D73F9A02064E.jpeg Starting to day dream about what wheels to run on the old ‘48 F1 . First is running my Ansen spokes ( like Torque Thrust D ) , second is regular rims with caps and tri rib rings and third I am wondering what it would look like running my vintage Ansen Torque Thrust D style on the rear a I have a pair of vintage Rader single rib Trans Americans. No photoshop program so I was wondering if the Ansens and Raders would look catty wompus or not.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think they are too similar to run together. Spokes up front and solid steel with slicks look cool. Different works better than similar. If that makes any sense.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I get it:D. The Ansens are 15x7 so I was thinking running them on the rear and 15x6 on the front. Maybe I’ll just see what I can match up to the Ansens for the front.

4. Callmaker

Callmaker

0065.jpg
    Ansens and steelies,

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 41,
    Catty Wompus? Yes, that and just plain strange, would be apropos here. Anytime a mis-matched set of anything is put on a truck, car or station wagon, it looks, well, not finished or "Sanford and Son" style. (West Coast slang)

The 48 F1 has a very cool look and the majority of trucks on any search have painted wheels and small center hubcaps. Or if you want to be 1959 authentic, take a look at this film I did back in 1959 at Lions Dragstrip. It is the original Sidewinder in the pits with their F1 sitting next to it waiting for the drizzle to let up. :)12)
    upload_2020-5-6_5-54-4.png
    We like the look that they had put into the truck. (Whitewalls and chrome wheels or full hubcaps.) But my second favorite that is low cost, would be painted rims, small hubcaps and beauty trim rings.
    upload_2020-5-6_6-2-19.png
    Jnaki
    Sorry to say, the odd mismatched rims as nice as mags can be, just don't do it for any truck...IMHO

SIDEWINDER AT LIONS

Elcohaulic and Hnstray like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The more I think on it it is probably more cohesive to run all Torque Thrust style , all Steelies. Since I have plenty of Steelies and only have to find two more Ansens or a similar pair of wheels I just keep two sets if I want a change.

WB69 and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. earlymopar

earlymopar

It depends on your "build style". Anything "mis-matched" in the 60's was the norm and as Callmaker shows perfectly on his Ford P/U, it was expected as guys drove their cars and trucks to the strip and changed to slicks or cheaters mounted on steel wheels. Hence the look he shows. Perfect!

- EM

41rodderz likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won't post a picture (it just makes work for Moriarty to clean up later) but one of the sets of dancing shoes I have for my 442 is silver steel 15X10's on MT drags and T/A's up front on TT's (natural finish, machined rim). That's her business attire when she is headed to the drag strip.
    Formal occasions call for red lines on Olds style steel I wheels...but the backs are red line 555 Nittos I had made. Hey, even when you're dressing up you still have to ready to run.

41rodderz likes this.
  9. My Falcon...M&H on the back..Pro Trac up front... 405E1F66-0869-4ED5-80E0-F01EC8C8AC37.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  10. deucemac

deucemac

Personal preference and old age. I've has chrome, chromrbeire, painted wire, five spoke and dished mags, and painted wheel with trim rings and caps. My choice is painted steel wheels with trim rings and caps. So easy to maintain, wash with soapy water and sponge, rinse with the garden hose, wipe dry with a chamois. Easy to clean and with the right choice of color, rings and cap, perfect!

jnaki and 41rodderz like this.
  11. Maybe some slots to go with your Ansens 100_3821.jpg

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I probably have enough sets hub caps to change the look as well. I really like the ‘59 Lancer 15” caps. :oops: I am trying to simplify my parts stash but this isn’t working very well.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yeah:) I do have aluminum slots as well. I like that look.​

swade41 likes this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. I was of the mindset running the Ansens on the rear and or a set of four but Ansens on the front does and with slots does give it a hot rod flavor. Thanks

swade41 likes this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

Run 'em, who gives a shit, 90% of people wont notice, 10% are car guys that will. Ask anyone that questions you if they have a set. Could be a great way to find a matching set.

RMR&C and 41rodderz like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back in 60's at different times/cars I had mismatched wheels, very common in Milwaukee Wi. I like alot of guys had my recap street slicks mounted on steel wheels, only ran them when going street racing as they were no good in all the weather we get and gave local cops an excuse to pull you over and harass you over all the other stuff, mufflers/headlight height/front bumper/ hood/driver license/etc. I traded off my 57 because it was a cop magnet, a great opportunity came up to trade up. Also I bought several different used wheels, always came in pairs, when one of my cars had a set of 4 with exception of chrome reverse all were purchased in pairs. I think it looks good myself and fits 60's time frame, But as always, What do You like ?, Your car, Your deal, Your opinion is the only one that matters.

blkarw and 41rodderz like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes I do realize it is my deal to run whatever I want but this thread is to get everyone and anyone’s ideas and opinions. Ideas that will expand my horizons so to speak. Bandit Billy and swade41 ideas are the nuggets that are helping me . :)

swade41 and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Another idea bouncing around in my brain is taking the the vintage Radar wheels and paint the hoops gloss black and really polish up the aluminum centers. Maybe even add a trim ring.

19. the '60s was the age of mis matched wheels. I believe that @Bandit Billy is right about the different spokes wheels though.

It was common for me to run slots on the rear and spokes on the front or steelies on the rear and spokes or slots on the front. I have got to say this, I have always wanted a full set of chrome reverse on a car or truck. I have never owned a set not even rusty ones. :oops:

Elcohaulic and 41rodderz like this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That’s what we did when we were too broke to buy all four
    That’s what we did when only two cool wheels were cheap enough to buy......$2.00 an hour didn’t go far

21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Miss-matched wheels look really good on some cars and in the right combination. But, can look horrendous on others. Personally prefer all 4 alike.

22. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I remember an article about a mild custom Mustang in one of the Car Magazines from late '60s. They couldn't decide between two different mags, so they ran one style on one side and the other style on opposite side. Of course off sets and widths would have to be the same. And you can only see one side at a time.

23. Muttley

Muttley

CRAGAR's and original Ford steel wheels.............

Duncan Ceramics February 2017 #2.JPG Duncan Ceramics February 2017 #3.JPG

24. A Boner

A Boner

Here’s proof it’s cool!
    0DD74C92-05C2-48AA-9A71-A8B1FC81A8A8.png

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  25. I do it sometimes. It's just fun, and easy to do. But I keep them matched most of the time. 1531.jpg 20180111_190426.jpg

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In HS in the sixty's several guys with tri-5 wagons ran 5 spoke American's on the front and chrome reverse wheels on the rear. Seemed to work on the wagons but not so much on other cars. IMO

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Drag racers will do just about anything to get that extra higher speed and lower E.T. on the books. Smooth flow down tube exhaust cut outs, with no bends, tuning in the pits with racing plugs, 7 inch Bruce Slicks for timed runs only, all in the name of going faster. Then later, using 7 inch Moxley Cheater Slicks on timed runs and eliminations until they were banned as not stock for the Impala. The Bruce Slicks went on black 14 inch Chevy rims. The Moxley Cheater Slicks went on different 15 inch Chevy rims supplied by the salesman.
    upload_2020-6-15_4-15-42.png photo Greg Sharp...The best sample of a Bill Moxley Cheater Slick from 1960. Someone’s B/Gas Willys Coupe in the background with Bruce Slicks and 671 supercharger on 292 SBC.

Photos of the 1958 Impala with Bruce Slicks and stock with a spare tire and Moxley Slicks

upload_2020-6-15_4-17-11.png Impala with Bruce Slicks timed run

upload_2020-6-15_4-17-52.png Lions Dragstrip 1958 Impala with Moxley Cheater Slicks

Over the years we have owned the 1958 Chevy Impala and the 1951 Olds sedan, there have been many wheel colors applied all in the name of a chrome wheel substitute. Several cans of spray paint made many different looks and did not cost the same as a single chromed wheel. So, it was teenage experimenting and the look of the hot rods changed almost weekly.

Jnaki

Most of the time at the drags, the mismatched wheels were prevalent on most cars. On the street, the only time our Impala had mismatched wheels was when we did not take off the Bruce Slicks for the late Saturday night hot rod cruise and races or using the Moxley Cheater Slicks on the street cruise/races. The Bruce Slicks were great and stayed with the Impala until sold in 1964. The Moxley Cheater Slicks did not do well at the drag strip or street, so after several cruises, they were sold to a friend. The Moxley Cheater Slicks looked good and very aggressive just sitting in the parking lot during the gab sessions, but they were not as good as the real Bruce Slicks.

With the black rimmed Bruce Slicks, I had to paint the front rim of the Impala black for that mean look of black on black for intimidation, during the 1962-63 cruising days. Eventually, the mismatched wheels were gone in the last version of the Impala. After a theft of 4 Buick Skylark wire wheels, I had to get stock Buick bolt pattern rims and new tires. So, the last goodbye in 1965 was the black on black look when I sold the Impala to a friend.