Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Parts Washers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeucePhaeton, May 6, 2020.

1. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Do any of you use straight Kerosene in their washers?
    I want something that doesn't break the bank. What do you use?

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. chargin03

chargin03

Diesel fuel

uncle buck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Mineral spirits in mine. It is not too bad if you buy 5 gallon jugs. But still more than kerosene.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

4. evintho

evintho

5 gallons of Purple Power at WalMart is $25. It's pretty aggressive. Don't let aluminum soak in it overnight!

seb fontana likes this.

5. bedwards

bedwards

Diesel Fuel and ATF mixed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Purple Power works great, doesn't stink, and is fairly inexpensive!

7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Mineral spirits in mine too. It lasts along time I top off a gallon or two at a time (10$ a gallon).

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mineral spirits in mine but even though the pump is supposed to be for petroleum based solvents they don't last for shit.

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Diesel fuel. Used to use kerosene till it went to $4 a gallon. Funny thing,the other day I drove by the place where I used to buy it years ago. Looked up and the sign still said $4........even though all other fuel prices dropped. Use Diesel, and if it ever gets too dirty, put it in a jug and save it for burning stuff. Now that's recycling:D

29A-V8 and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  10. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

I'm assuming you all are talking about cleaning agents to spray thru the washer right? I just bought one this last weekend and was pondering on what to use as a degreaser. I was thinking Dawn dishwashing soap, or purple power?

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. greener200

greener200

And here I was waitin to see some vintage parts washers ,,,,:rolleyes: We have a real nice one I got at a commercial building sale. The stuff my ol man buys is some type of "Parts" cleaner .I never thought of the diesel/ kerosene route.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I used to get the cleaning fluid from Safety Kleen for free. My shop foreman had them service his home shop and they always left him a new 5 gallon jug at our shop when they serviced ours. They left him a refill even though he hadn't used it enough to change it. He gave them to me about every other time and it worked for both of us. When it was dirty I drained it and gave it back to him and he gave me more. Worked great. Problem is he died and I now have a steel parts washer full of nasty, dirty Safety Kleen solvent.

I'm going to clean it out again and go with Simple Green. I have a smaller plastic tank with Simple Green in it and it does a great job, just not sure how well SG will work in a steel tank.

SPark

13. squirrel

squirrel

I still use mineral spirits solvent in mine...it's expensive. I seem to buy ten gallons every year or two.

14. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Was the old saying " Nitro is for racing, alcohol is for drinking and gasoline is for washing parts"?
    I use mineral spirits but have considered going to diesel or purple power.
    Pete

stillrunners likes this.
  15. Crown PSC 1000 Parts Cleaner from Tractor Supply sold in 5 gallon cans for $42.99. I looked around the internet for what to use and this stuff got pretty good reviews from people.

winr, CSPIDY and jchev1953 like this.
  16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use an actual parts cleaning solvent that I buy from a local petroleum product supplier

17. Yeah, me too! It's called Flash Solvent, pretty expensive though. Costs me about $100.00 for 10 gallons.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a parts washer and enough PSC 1ooo for it from Tractor Supply. Only trouble was the washer wasn't compatible with the PSC 1000. Called the washer manufacturer and they told me not to use PSC 1000 in their washer. They said they had advised TS about this but TS was still selling it without advising anyone of the incompatibility. PITA to drain the washer and return everything.

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  19. I use mineral spirits and add a gallon of Gunk degreaser concentrate. It's a little expensive but it works pretty darn well. Been using it for a long time.

20. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Mine is a mixture of Varsol, kerosene, Gunk, gasoline, turpentine, acetone, and paint thinner. It makes runoff from 3 mile island seem like Perrier water. It cleans anything but rough on hands and eyes

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

21. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Yes, I have used straight kerosene in the parts washer. I had a friend that drove the fuel truck and he would come buy and bring number one fuel oil also. Sadly, he's dead now.
    My washer is homemade, but the pump is actually a furnace pump, made to pump fuel oil, for anybody having pump problems.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found out that while Krud Kutter does a great job of cleaning parts it eats the paint off anything you leave set in it and eats the paint off the inside of the solvent tank. Good for a plastic or galvanized tub but not for a parts washer.
    I worked in a couple of shops where I had Naphtha sitting in a pan on the bench but don't want what amounts to charcoal lighter fluid in my shop now. I stunk like diesel enough when I worked on a dairy farm servicing the equipment that I don't want that either.

LM14 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Remember that whatever you use in your parts cleaner also gets absorbed into your skin. Diesel Fuel seems to clean everything I need to clean and doesn't seem to have any effect on my hands other than getting them cleaner too.:D
    When you start putting all manner of chemicals into contact with your skin, you better be reading the labels........

24. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I knew I kept that old burner assembly around for a reason, now I know what it was. Thanks for the tip.

Ed

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

I wanted a parts washer than was big enough to set a block in when honing. So used the front and half of the sides of a Kenmore washer and used the rest of the sides to make the ends and a flat metal top. I saw a washer that set on a cut down 55 gal. barrel that was half filled with water the pump extend down just above the water line and picks up the oil based solvent (mineral spirits) floating on the water. Dirt in the solvent settles down in the water keeping the solvent clean. Been using it sence 70s replaced the $30 pump twice.

26. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Parts washer solvent from Tractor Supply is easy on the hands and works very well.

CSPIDY likes this.
  27. uncle buck

uncle buck

You guys ever given any thought about wearing gloves? If not you should. Anyway, I started using diesel too. Inexpensive and when I finish I pour it through a screened funnel into my waste oil furnace tank. I get twice the use out of it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. dwollam

dwollam

L.A.'s Totally Awesome in qt bottles from the Dollar Tree store. Works great and can be diluted and used in the home as well. Took 24 qts at a buck apiece for my parts washer.

Dave

29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Diesel fuel. I like the smell and it keeps the wife and dog away. A long long long ways away. Win!!

30. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

For those of you using diesel fuel, doesn't that leave an oily residue? How do you get that off?