Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Is it worth the price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, May 6, 2020.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

This is a killer for many people, myself included. In our area, almost every old car that comes up for sale is missing it's radiator. Hoses sliced right through. Tells me that the owner sold it for scrap. Some cars, you may as well junk them after that.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Right, but I don't want to pay top dollar AND have to jump through hoops. If the car had a title I would have argued to buy it. I love the car, the body style and everything about it. I love 60-62 Dodge and Plymouths so I may be biased. I'd be buying it as a cruiser so the 6 wouldn't even bother me.

3. 5window

5window

$34,900 reduced from $30,000. Insurance company math?

4. indyjps

indyjps

I wouldnt pay $7500 for that car, done, driving, with title.

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The add I am reading says California title, where do you guys see no title?

6. It was updated. It used to say bill of sale. They're watching this thread.

nochop likes this.
  7. I don't see any bumpers in there.

8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I like that the ad says that all trim looks to be in the car.
    I,d be dragging it all out and checking before I gave any cash.
    That and no title would make me walk away

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yes, you definitely want to be sure all the missing parts are there because you will never find any replacements.
    The ad I read says it has a CA title.
    The non-emission choked slant 6 was not a bad motor, even in that car, but I would have to install a V8.
    As is, if all the parts are really there, and its as straight as it looks, your still $10,000 from having a nice driver. The price is high in my opinion. Gene

gimpyshotrods and Hnstray like this.
  10. redo32

redo32

I should have a soft spot for these cars, I learned to drive in a '59 Ply wagon, it was 5 years old. Baby blue, 318, auto,whitewalls and china hubcaps. A lot of fond memories, hunting, fishing and camping and growing up. I don't think I ever admitted to Dad that I got stopped 12 times in the first year of driving. Never got a ticket, just verbal warnings. Slow down and go home. If I see you out again tonight...! While it was durable to stand up to my abuse, I always had the opinion that Mopars were tinny. It would be hard to convince me to spend $7500 for the finished example with the neat intake & exhaust. The only way I would pay more than $1500 for that project is if I had a bonafide buyer lined at $7500 and I didn't like him. I wouldn't let a friend buy it.

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

In pictures I see guys standing around and other vehicles in a garage. To me it's like someone thought what a cool project, then got in to it, found out what a pain in the ax it was and now want to unload it.
    Like a car buddy (rip) used to say years ago "yea, it will be worth $20k...if you put $50k in it".

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

62rebel likes this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

Says California title now, although I wonder why it only said bill of sale before? Also the first picture is misleading, I think it's bullshit when people do that.

It is absolutely a worthy car, but being sold by a shady-ass seller.

13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Tail lights an bezels there?.....I wonder how much those are

14. The ad seems a little shady, stealing a pic from another ad is wrong. Even if it’s to show what it could be. The bill of sale/tittle thing is shaky too. It is definitely one you should check out in person.
    It is pretty funny to hear all these experts saying it’s way too much money judging from a couple of pictures. I thought this hobby was about buying what you like and enjoying it, not what it’s worth down the road or for flipping. How many times have I heard “if your in it for the money etc. etc. etc.” Shit, some of you guys would pay $7500 for a 32 grille and be happy.
    It will sell for what ever some one is willing to pay and so be it.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

gimpyshotrods and lurker mick like this.
  16. hudson48

hudson48

Don't let Hemi Dave see this thread. One of his favourite cars.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. SAYS CALIFORNIA TITLE IN THE AD.........

18. NOW it says that. Earlier it said bill of sale. You see the area code ? 214 .. .. our neck of the woods.

I called a couple of hours ago. No call back yet. We'll see.

5window and wraymen like this.
  19. If I had a dollar for every time, I could go buy that car

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen likes this.
  20. wvenfield

wvenfield

As noted, it does now. It didn't earlier. I call the entire ad as questionable.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thoughts exactly. That is a lot of money for a car that really isn't even close to being desirable. not all old cars are cool just because they are old.
    First I'd say you had be better be a die hard Mopar dude. Then you have to have a real viable reason as to why you want to put the time and effort and lots of money into it to bring it back to top shape. To me that means you have 3.4 kids and a dog and just flat need the room to have something that you can haul everyone in or you plan to do it up as a Tow rig/push car we might have seen in the early 60's hauling a race car on a bare bones trailer.

Truthfully If I wanted an early 60's wagon I would be looking for one that was the top of the line with all the bells and whistles rather than the salesman lost leader special . Mom had a 58 Merc Colony Park Wagon with all the goodies when I was in my teens that was pretty cool for a wagon. That Plymouth reminds me for the "settled for" cars that my uncle tended to buy just to say he had a new car. Plain vanilla no sprinkles.

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

My thoughts exactly after reading this line in the ad;
    "Very straight body, someone started restoring this car and stopped."

Project cars for sale in fresh primer make me really nervous, especially when they're being "resold" from owner to owner with little or no progress. Is the sale a flip or unload it/I can't handle the work and cost of the project? I'd be doing a serious magnet and inner panel inspection to confirm any bodywork is kosher and not a bondo barge. Tailgate fit on driver's side raised my eyebrows a bit.

I'd check the title status real close. Possibly 'title jumped', where the title was signed over by the previous owner 3 owners back.

If the title and body is straight, 5k would be a good start. Drop a V8 in it.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been a station wagon guy since I had a '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon when I was in HS. So I guess my take on the worth of a wagon may be somewhat biased. But the asking price of this Mopar seems a tad bit high. I paid 5k for a complete running and moving on its on power (although not road worthy IMO) '54 Ford Ranch Wagon last year. Yes, it does have some rust issues but to me its a desirable body style. The car had only a bill of sale but it came with an old registration card which made getting a title fairly easy. I'd pass on this one for the asking price even with a title but since I'm a Ford guy a Mopar guy might not agree.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

25. Squablow

Squablow

Big tail fin wagons are hugely valuable/desirable to a group of people, some of you guys are still locked into what you thought was cool in the 1970's. But I will say the car that Hollywood-East posted seems like a screamin' good deal. If that were nearby I'd likely own it today.

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Whatever that Craigslist ad in Elmira was, most of us will never know.
    It's "This posting has been deleted by its author." now.

27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Someone scored! Was $3900 Screenshot_20200507-162530.png

VANDENPLAS and sevenhills1952 like this.
  28. 5window

5window

Well, someone spent $3900.Quite a bit down from asking price.It remains to be seen if this is a score.

29. wvenfield

wvenfield

Nice buy on the 59........I still like the 60 better.

30. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Yea buddy! THAT'S what you want to buy!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk