Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I WAS OUT OF STEP UNTIL I FOUND THE HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 6, 2020.

1. I bought my first car, a 1932 Ford 5 window when I was 12 years old, and had a number of 50's & 60's cars until I owned the next old car, a Model A pickup and I have built a number of 1940 ford's and 1932 Ford's.

During that time I joined a local car club and although I seemed to be the only one that didn't follow the trends, my fellow club members started painting their cars pastel colors, they started pulling the axles out and using corvair front suspension and then the mustang II, then the splash & heart beat graphics, tweed interiors & billet wheels & billet do dad's and the mono chrome look.

During this time I was beginning to think my ideas of a hot rod should look like and be capable to drive from point A to point B instead of show boats loaded up in a trailer and hauled to a show, unloaded, wash & waxed,shown and loaded back up and drive a fancy rig home. not for me.

Obviously I was not a fan of the new look for hot rods, my fellow club members embraced the current look of all the street rods in the latest issue of street rodder and that was fine with me but I still liked the same thing I was seeing in the magazines when I was a kid.

I started buying the parts my friends were removing and saving the old mags and steel wheels, I bought several nice origin steering columns when they were replaced with van tilt columns.

My old friend Randy Nash was a friend that liked the same styles as I did and since he lived in the middle of the State we usually met up at car shows, at one of the shows in Charlotte , North Carolina Randy told me about a site on the internet where there are other people that like the old styles and didn't embrace the current rage in building street rods, he also said they didn't welcome anything but pre 64 cars and trucks.

The only draw back was you HAD to post a introduction or you would be beat to a proverbial pulp, I did what I thought was a great intro but lacking knowledge of computers & having never taking a typing class in my life I was completely oblivious of the caps lock button, suffice to say had I written a paper on how I found the cure to cancer it would not have mattered.

I was not sure about this site, I got pulverized but Randy & Denise both encouraged me to hang in there and I'm still here.

The Hamb has grown and evolved, the intro is no longer necessary but the traditional hot rods & customs that enticed me from the very beginning is still the main focus and over the last 17 years since I joined thousands of other people have found a place they fit in.

Thank's Ryan, for keeping it traditional. HRP

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup....saved from billet here

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

GREAT POST HRP! Just feeling a little spunky today. LIPPY:D

Deuces, Okie Pete, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  4. I STILL don't fit in but I like it here.
    Thanks, HRP.

Ben

Deuces, 67drake, Okie Pete and 8 others like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Best dang site on the web. :) I was into old timey hot rods and cool ‘65 and older Chevy 2’s and this site has just fueled a deeper passion for the simpler cars and trucks.

6. rc57

rc57

Good post HRP.

I was always a billet, shiny shit and latest tech junkie, but after being on here for quite a while I can't seem to get traditional out of my head. My truck is too far along to go back (still ok) but if I build another car you can bet it would be traditional.
    RC

Okie Pete, Thor1, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Well Said And Appreciated... 325.png

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Trends change but traditional Hot Rods are timeless...

10. silent rick

silent rick

intros. yeah i remember mine. not being computer savvy, it was one very long paragraph. and even though i punctualize, i never capitalize so it looked like one very long sentence. it went on and on with the twenty seven 8x10 glossy pictures with the circles and the arrows...anyway, i caught shit for that. they pretty much called me a dumbass and told me they wouldn't bother reading my intro until i broke it up into paragraphs. only i didn't know how. so one day i noticed this little thing flashing in the corner of the screen and thought i did something wrong. i managed to get up the nerve to click on it and it was this thing called a private message. so then i had to open it up and it was a message from brandi instructing me how to break up my intro into smaller paragraphs. so that''s how it works? she told me not to let it bother me, the guys do that all the time to newbies, i mean dumbasses.

Okie Pete, hotrodharry2, rc57 and 5 others like this.
  11. Having never owned a hot rod & the chances are I never will, this site is how I get my fix!
    Many hot rods & customs in all forms from projects to high end complete cars.
    The HAMB has been a virtual car show long before it was a trend (fuck covid19).

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife: "Rick, everybody's getting computers. Maybe we should, too."
    Me: "We don't need a computer."

Her again: "Rick, everybody's getting computers. Maybe we should, too."
    Me again: "We don't need a computer."

Her again: "Rick, everybody's getting computers. Maybe we should, too."
    Me: "Okay, let's look at 'em."

Bought a top-of-the-line Dell.
    Got it all hooked up.
    Took a while to figure out how to even use it... WTF.
    Okay... do a... "search" ?????
    Okay... for what? Oh, I know...

H...O...T...R...O...D

In weird blue glowing letters...
    Did you mean "Hot Rod?"
    Oh God... I don't know... yeah, okay... whatever. Click.

At the top of the list...
    The H.AM.B. ... preaching the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums worldwide.

No kiddin'? Sounds good.
    Click.

Some guy named Ryan was telling me...
    "If you came here looking to make a name for yourself, you can turn around right now. But if you enjoy traditional hot rods and customs, this place might be for you."

Click.

The skies opened up and the angels began to sing. It was an old rockabilly tune.

My wife. Rick oh, will you be coming to bed soon?
    Me. Yup... pretty soon, dear.
    She'd just laugh.

Deuces, Okie Pete, Just Gary and 22 others like this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My wife calls us a Hotrod Facebook.
    Sometimes I have to agree.
    Found it in 2003. Pre-rat rod era, Bunch of hoodlums bashing egg colored cars, billet, orca bettys, greasers and any newbee who dares enter the website. I received my share. Of course I love being a little rough around the edges so I just laughed at them and stuck it out. It keeps people on their toes.
    But inside I’m just a softy.
    If it wasn’t for all the great people here directing and critiquing me. I’d never know what I’ve learned here.
    Then the rat rod came about.
    Everyone instantly thought it was a creative expression but It didn’t take long for the H.A.M.B. to dismiss it with the evidence of poor craftsmanship and a mix of parts that didn’t belong.
    I honestly think the H.A.M.B. was instrumental in the Hotrod traditional resurgence in the world along with the rat rod scene beginnings.
    People seen rough Hotrod’s here thinking they would copy it with whatever piece of junk they had in the back forty.

Deuces, Okie Pete, lippy and 8 others like this.
  14. Lol,,,,definitely not a Facebook place here .
    To be honest,,,,I think those style of posts get deleted fairly quickly !

This is more than Facebook will ever be,,,maybe not monetary wise,,,,but much more enjoyable to car guys.

Tommy

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think there were more builds on the HAMB years ago, maybe they got finished or just put on hold. I haven't done a thing other than move mine around to make more room. Wish there was more stuff to follow. Bob

Deuces, Okie Pete, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Stumbled on this place about 15/16yrs ago looking for some QC parts. Found the introduction bullshit a bit much, since I was just trying to contact the guy selling those parts. First couple months I tangled with the keyboard commandos, got reprimanded and deleted by some mods, had a couple 'conversations' with Ryan, and in the end, we agreed to disagree. The good information and source for parts kept me hanging around. Drifted away for a bit as my interest changed to building an experimental bi-plane. When that got done, the shop got swept, and it was back to hotods and the HAMB. Gotta say I liked the old Hamb attitude more than what it's become. But, it's still the best wealth of information, and source for the parts I want, on the web. Knowledge is power, and since I lean towards having the maximum of both, I'll hang around. Still won't drink the koolaid though, and will probably still get some posts deleted.

Deuces, Okie Pete, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  17. On May 12th, it will be 13 years for me on the HAMB. It was a happy accident that I found the site while doing a search for some hotrod related information.
    I have always gone my own way, and never liked the billet crap. I appreciate the chrome masterpieces, but always built my own cars as drivers.
    It is like home here.
    Bob

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  18. harleyddad

harleyddad

In the late 50's and early 60's I hung around the local gas station, they all tolerated me, but I was taken by the cars that came through. I finally got a Model A in the early 90's and knew what what I wanted, just like the little books of the 50's. Living in a small South Georgia town, hot rod and custom parts came from JC Whitney's and Honest Charlie's. In the mid 2000's I met a guy at a car show with a 50's style 37 Ford, who had a HAMB decal in his window, That started my slide back to the 50's.
    I love to follow builds and review archives on a regular basis. Some of the builds are so smooth I can't believe some of the skills the builders have. I have always been a learn as you go builder and love what few skills I have developed. HAMB supports my lifestyle and is tops on my favorites list.

19. A Boner

A Boner

What is the official date of the start of the H.A.M.B.?

20. scoop

scoop

Damn near the same exact thing for me,haha!

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Reading this thread got my curiosity up; I looked at my profile and saw that I’ve been on here since 2002. That’s the longest I ever stuck with one thing. Dang, may be time to move on...don’t want to get too comfortable.

Okie Pete, RustyBullet, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  22. Tom, you joined 16 days before I did. HRP

Okie Pete and Just Gary like this.
  23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting post. I tripped over a guy building a 29 roadster who signed up here the same day I did back in 2006! I built a 31. Coincidence? I think not!:D

24. spanners

spanners

Holey cheese slices Batman!!! I've been here since February 2009. Time flies when you're having fun. I wonder how many hours of computer time that would be? Nah, best I don't work that one out.

25. And like you, Randy Nash was my guide. I met Randy at Louisville and he told me about The HAMB.

Thor1, The37Kid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Wow HRP we could be brothers! Except you are twice my height.:confused:

I think many of us have gone through the billet thing. I did and left the room for awhile. This site has been an inspiration. Good read HRP:cool:

27. We are all brothers from different mothers.:D HRP

Just Gary, j-jock, ct1932ford and 3 others like this.
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad got around.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My profile tells the story, much like Danny's.
    Wife Joey and I got the computer (first one) in '98, after we bought the house...
    my brother laughingly told me about 'this funny hot rod site I'd probably like...'
    He did his usual patronizing bit, "Haw, haw, haw...These guys are still into flatheads!"
    He spelled it out: "Hokey-ass message board, Jalopy Journal..."

I looked it up, it was May 31, 2002. Couldn't believe my eyes...Posts seemed like I was reading the Hot Rod Mag's Post Entry columns, from 1952!
    Real rod stuff. Little bro went onto Facebook...Good place for him.
    I like it here, although we've picked up some 'strange bedfellows' along the way....