Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Voltage regulators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mad mikey, May 6, 2020.

1. Has anybody been using the newer style solid state type voltage regulators. Any thoughts, experience's with these? Good? Bad? Thanks in advance everyone .

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

3. Ok. I am still using the type with contacts. Still works fine. I have a solid state type that is new in the box. Was thinking of swapping it in. I guess I will.

4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I've found them quite reliable, but mine were all built in the 1980s or earlier.

Brand new ones may have the same quality as brand new condensors and points.

5. Yea, that is the thought rolling around in the back of my head. Thanks Beanscoot.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are you talking about one for a generator or alternator?

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I like to hide the Ford alternator versions with the older cover, when I can.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. GM Alternator. 3 wire.

9. I have bought new ones like these and have been using them for the horn and OD circuit.

[​IMG]

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There aren't really any solid state regulators available for a generator that I know of. There was a firm, Clover Dynamo Systems, that made them for a while. I kind wish I'd have bought one, they were pretty cool. They looked original and they had the Ford and GM styles so they looked more or less original.

A high amp diode would work for the cutout relay (the most common source of trouble I expect) but diodes have about a 1/2 volt or so forward voltage drop. That doesn't sound like a lot, but on a percentage basis looms large when talking about automotive battery charging setpoints.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On all my 1st gen Camaro builds I used the new solid state regs and put the old Delco Remy covers on them to make them look correct but work.

On my 41 PU that I am building I used a one wire alt. so no reg. needed, instead I bought a old chrome ribbed cal custom reg. cover off our classifieds, cut the bottom open and used it as a bulkhead fitting to pass my wires through the firewall. There are a few floating about, you could put one of the covers over the new reg. and no one needs to know.
    upload_2020-5-6_13-17-43.png

KoolKat-57 and mad mikey like this.
  12. I like the cover a lot. My regulator is under the dash but a cover like that would be cool. Thanks Billy.:cool::)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

DSC00646.JPG I just started using one a few months ago. It is a Chrysler style solid state replacement of the point style. I use it on a Honda civic alternator of the late 70's. Way less bounce than the point style. The cut in and out is also way better. It looks identical to the point style it replaces. Time will tell how it holds up but right now it is way superior.

mad mikey likes this.
  14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have a solid state and it works but I cant adjust it. I'd rather be able to adjust it..

mad mikey likes this.
  15. Thanks for your input guys. I am going to put it in and keep the old one as a spare. I have looked at reviews on the solid state regulators and almost all are good, just wanted to see what my HAMB brothers opinions are first.:);)

16. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

recently i went thru 3 auto parts direct replacement points type from 2 different chains . almost produced volts but never right ,, threw in the towel bough solid state was rock solid ,,, put original delco cover on and taa daaa ,,,,, i aint goin back ,,, customers 67 impala ,, i had to eat my time
    fabricator john
    missin you dad

mad mikey likes this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I thought time was a blessing :) Lord knows what happens when it runs out. :( :oops:
    Any replacement part is a crap shoot, I have replaced both type in the field. Just make sure it has a good ground. ;)

mad mikey likes this.
  18. 54vicky

54vicky

the question pertained to regulators NOT RELAY

mad mikey likes this.