Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest DID YOU EVER TAKE MOM FOR A RIDE IN THE HOT ROD OR CUSTOM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 2, 2020.

1. When my mom was still with us I always enjoyed taking her out for Mothers lunch at her favorite downtown restaurant in my 1932 Ford sedan, she liked that car more than my other cars.

[​IMG]

My sister and I would have Brenda make a nice arrangement of flowers for her and deliver them that afternoon when I took her home.

I have no idea how anyone fortunate enough to still have your Mom will celebrate Mothers Day, hopefully you can see her, if not call her if you can't or live out of state.

If you want to send your mom flowers or candy, please contact your local florist, after the recent shutdown they need the business. HRP

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I tried for years to get mom in one of my builds but the thunder was intimidating to her so one day at a family dinner she asked me for a ride on my sport bike.......:) lol

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  3. HotRod33

HotRod33

I wish I could take her for one more ride.... Mom's been gone going on 6 years... . But I'll still take her flowers... Wouldn't miss it

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My mom wouldn’t let my dad sell my avatar, glad she held out. She always called it The Deuce

ladyhrp, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.

5. We will drive the wagon to Forrest Lawn tomorrow with several arrangements for our Mom's and grandmothers. HRP

Deuces, ffr1222k, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Mom was the first to go for a ride when I finished my 33 .We went to Cowell Park in Concord,Ca. and took a few pics January 2004 , She was a leadfoot when we were kids, She would Light up the tires sometimes if we asked her too. she passed away March 2005 . ♥

Mom&Dad.jpg Mom-PowderpuffDerby.jpg JelliPups5179 023.jpg

alanp561, 1947knuck, ladyhrp and 10 others like this.
  7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny you remember my touring car, my mother wouldn't get in it.

Deuces, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Danny my Mother was a gear head if it ran she wanted a ride.
    Dad was changing oil in her 65 Malibu one Sunday and she was ready to go to church so dad threw her the keys to the 62 chevyll gasser and we went to church. The only spot left was square in front of the side door so when we were ready to go home she flooded it, I said mom Dad always said if it was flooded hold it to the floor and crank it and dont let up til it starts so she did and it cranked for a bit then the door opened and the preacher stepped out and that dual quad Z28 fulie came to life with a roar, headers with glass packs only. That preacher said he had thought the second coming had happened. Mom is with Dad now but that story got told so many times through the years and is still one of my favorites. Jim

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not this year, but hope to take her for a ride in it sooner or later.

10. My MOM would love to go for a ride in my truck but alas she’s 1100 miles away. The last time she rode in it was when she and my DAD took it for the reunion of his old hot rod club the “ROAD ANGELS”. They had a blast and I’m sure she would love to ride in it again. Mitch

Deuces, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

Someday maybe. Right now she's working on getting the mustang, that she and Dad got married in, back from Grandpa

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My mom's 800 miles away. I have one picture of her riding with me on Route 66, close to 30 years ago now and she's barely visible. Cars never were her thing, or my dad's for that sake. No idea where I got this bug.

Devin

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My pops will probably take my mom for a ride in one of his hotrods.
    My wife has her own hotrod so she will probably take the daughter and I for a ride.

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thank You HRP for bringing up fond memories of MOM, she has been gone for many years now. I bought my first cycle in spring 1974, I was 26, she was 59, we had my parents over for Mother's day, she saw it in the garage and asked me to take her for a ride and told us stories of how she rode on back of Dad's motorcycle all through her pregnancy with me. I lost her in 1979, she passed at 64 years old and I miss her to this day. Many pearls of wisdom came from her and one of my favorites is "Always Remember, There Are Many More Horse's Ass's Than There Are Horses" to this day when I meet one of these people, I smile as I think fondly of my MOM.

15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Sadly, giving Mom a ride is no longer possible. She passed away shortly after Mothers day in 2019.

16. Prime example of not taking it for granted that Mom will still be here next year, my Mom passed away a long time ago. HRP

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Deuces, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  17. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Is Brenda going to be able to open for mothers day this weekend?

18. She really needs to be open and is hoping she has some business, being forced to shut down has really hurt, the pre order for flowers that Brenda placed 2 months ago should arrive today or tomorrow and she based that order on last years sale.

Brenda told me last night she only had 4 orders. HRP

19. I am another that wishes he could take his mom for a ride. But she passed in 2002. She never learned to drive and didn't really like riding in any car. She never wanted to ride in one of my old cars but she did admire them from her front porch. The only car she ever really liked was my dad's 67 Fairlane. She liked the bench seat, I still have the car, but not her.
    If your mother is still with you, show her attention and respect while you can, they go all too suddenly and then you remember all the things you wished you had said and done....but it will be too late by then.

HOTRODPRIMER, 3W JOHN, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. You got that right Don. HRP

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hopefully she gets a ride in the ‘48 this year. You , know ..... I have to finish it first.:p

22. My mom was dead at 70 but still rides with me where ever I go in my car or on my motorcycle............

23. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Mom took her last ride in 2000.....The Milf next door is available however..

High test 63, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  24. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neither my Mom or Dad got to ride in or even see my old coupe...…………….But 8 years ago my mother in law was in town before a cruise and got to ride in the model T. I had a roll of 4 inch wide masking tape on the floor ...my cup holder. But he mid 80's Mercedes is SO OLD it doesn't have cup holders. Then she found the horn button...…..enjoy

25. Hope this qualify's, my Mom was always very supportive of my various project vehicles. Here's Mom on my 49 45 " flathead (2 wheels) this around 1987 or so. (There's Dad as well, he was a WWII Tin Can Sailor.) Treasure eve mom dad flathead.jpeg ry moment with your Mom. **( the Olds convertible in the background, is where I got the m-20 4 spd , currently in my 56- )

26. Thank you, that lady is a hoot! :) HRP

27. I am unable to take my mom for a ride, call her, all I can do is place flowers on her place of rest, my mom was 61 years old when she passed away. HRP

28. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Yes John, I will be open.

Call me at my shop if I can help you or anyone else I will be more than happy to help you, I can wire flowers wherever you might need them.

https://www.naturescornerflorist.net/

29. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thanks Brenda, I called and talked to your daughter this morning.

30. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Over the years of owning the 1958 Impala, my brother was a fanatic drag racer in the sedan. When it was my turn, that feeling was pretty outstanding. But, as time rolled by and the Impala was sitting in the garage. It was not being used as much due to the rehabilitation for my brother’s burns, it was a little depressing. My brother could drive, but the recovery was mental as well as physical and both were still a little off.
    upload_2020-5-9_4-17-18.png
    So, my mom had this great idea of learning how to drive a stick shift Impala. She wanted to be independent. She wanted to show her sons that she was a good driver and could learn to drive that stick shift. My dad’s Buick was gone to work, so the stick shift Impala was the only thing left in the garage. I had a year to go to get my official license, but could drive the Impala at the drags with no problem.
    upload_2020-5-9_4-17-33.png
    I had already taken my mom for rides in my dad’s Buick and when I got my learner’s permit, in the Impala. She thought the Impala was more fun than the big blue Buick Roadmaster. This time, she was determined. She did not want to rely on her friends to pick her up and did not want me to take her to the grocery store or the shopping mall. She wanted to be independent.

When I did take her to a friend’s house or to the local grocery store as a final resort, she noticed that the coordination of the Impala’s 3 speed, moving the lever and steering was pretty simple. The car just got up and moved along with ease.

We sat in the driveway for a couple of days adjusting the whole seating and driving position. She was learning all of the stuff necessary to drive a stick shift car and stop safely without doing the panic attack. So, when we started out, she actually let the clutch out slowly and we started to move. Then, just down the block, she shifted to second and continued along. Now, I was proud of my facts and methods to teach her how to drive a stick. When we got to the next corner, she made a good turn and proceeded to go to the busy main drag, PCH. She wanted to be in traffic as that was the streets she was going to use to do her odds and ends road trips.

Little did I know that her fourth time stopping and starting from 1st gear was beginning to tire her out. My brother had recently installed a heavy duty clutch and the pedal was fine for the two brothers, but the 5’2” tiny lady had only so much leg power to continue. That, I did not realize until the next corner stop light. Her slow release of the clutch pedal was now slow at the beginning, but immediately, she let it out all the way. She could not continue to slowly let the clutch out to its full contact. The pedal action was just too strong.

Jnaki

A bucking bronco start in first gear was evident. But the shifts into second gear were relatively smooth, with no grinding. She began to learn that sticking the clutch pedal back in stopped the bucking bronco effect. That whole scenario was funny, and many times, the guys in the next lane gave me a questionable look as we rolled/bucked down the street. The final straw was trying to learn the hill start method using both pedals and the gas pedal. It was all over and the search for an automatic transmission conversion was beginning with… “I will pay for the change to an automatic transmission.”

The rest is history as she got her automatic transmission car, went merrily along with her friends to grocery shopping and miles away to those shopping malls with ease. The one thing she did not like was the encounters with a car load of teenage boys wanting to race her at the stop lights. I told her to step on the gas when the light turned green to surprise 99% of those rowdy teenage boys. She never did.

upload_2020-5-9_4-20-16.png
    Thanks for the support and constant daily advice (which fell on deaf ears, then) that probably worked out in the long run, subconsciously.

Last edited: May 9, 2020