Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Just staying busy, any one in the HAMB nation use.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, May 6, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Any one in the HAMB nation ever had occasion use Color Bond interior paint ? My seats are late 90's Mustang power buckets with roll and pleat inserts and are a cream color. My color theme is a red frame and hot rod black body, black carpeting, with a red beltline stripe front to rear. I want to change the color of the roll and pleat center insert to red. We have a new upholstery shop in town and they want $700.00 a seat to do it. I also found an other one, and they want the same. That's just a tad much for me to comprehend so it is now a DIY job, or forget the thought all together. Any help/advise out there?:):D

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No help but upholstery is like any other trade today. Expensive and you have to “pay to play “ Good luck.

3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I would try to die the cream colored inserts to the color you want. The worst that could happen is it turns out bad and you have to throw an Indian blanket over it.:)

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I have a friend who recently spent $5500.00 to have his 55 Chevy's interior done. When I asked him how he liked it, he replied "I wish I would have paid $10,000.00 for something I liked".
    The worlds greatest truism is you get what you pay for. Do it right or not at all. Doubt rattle canning upholstery results would leave you something you'd be happy with.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    olscrounger likes this.

5. I don't know anything about that product but back in the late 60's I used Mar-Hyde in a rattle can and changed the color of a set of bucket seats from blue to black, following the directions on cleaning before I sprayed it worked out pretty good.

It did show some wear after several months but the car was a daily driver and it touched up good, cheap enough to dive it s try. HRP

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Friend used leather "paint" on his seats. Used quite a bit more than youd plan on. Follow the prep to the letter though. He did, his looked nice for a quite a while. I wouldnt call it a permanent solution. But it helps to get by.

700 a seat for an insert seems steep to me. Youve gotta look at their quality and shop around.
    I've had side hustle stitchers tell me 1200 for a bench seat with vinyl. I had a pro shop do my split bench and some accessories for under 800, and their work couldnt be better.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Have you checked on oem replacement seat covers? Sometimes the price is not too bad.

8. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

I've used it to redye some boat seats, it worked ok. I think my father used some on the interior of his 49 Chevy once. I would say buy a scrap piece of vinyl and shoot it and then bend it stretch it, sit it out in sun and see how it holds up.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Spray can colors are made,I have helped a buddy do his old gray seat to black a few years back. He has to add a liitle more now an then,gets some wear through spots an just resprays it about those times. I don't know of any spray that last forever !
    As for redo of seats,if your fairly handy,I did this tech some years back;; On doing your own seats;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-sew-at-home-upholsrety-hot-rod.604077/

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

700 a seat for an insert seems steep to me. Youve gotta look at their quality and shop around.
    I've had side hustle stitchers tell me 1200 for a bench seat with vinyl. I had a pro shop do my split bench and some accessories for under 800, and their work couldnt be better.[/QUOTE]

For what its worth. I had a local shop do the Glide Engineering seat for my '39 p/u. It was a bare frame. They supplied the foam, vinyl, and labor for $500.00 out they door. This was about a year or so ago. Very happy with the workmanship. So I agree $700.00 for a seat insert does seem high. IMG_3837.JPG

mcsfabrication and olscrounger like this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don’t paint it. I’ve tried all the top ones.
    None are what I was happy with.
    Save your money and find a cheap side job upholsterer.

Gman0046 likes this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best advice was replacement seat covers in the color you can live with. Even in a wreck or salvage car, the covers and foam comes off so easy you'd be mad at yourself for not doing it. Also, in some cars the covers are symmetric meaning both sides are the same in almost every detail, in some it's only the bottoms. Some plastic retaining channel, a pair of side cutters for the foam hold down wires, done. Takes about 15 min to strip a seat foam and all if you're being really careful, maybe a little longer if you've never done it before.