Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering columns & turn signals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, May 6, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Alright I've started looking for a steering column for my 31 tudor project and Ive looked and not really found any real answers so I thought I'd ask the pro's here !

When did integrated turn signal switches in steering columns first come out? And what year did they start self cancelling ?

Don't want a tilt and every time I think I've found an old column its fallen thru.

I'm about ready to pull the body off and do some more frame work but I'd sure love to have a column mocked up in place to check for clearance problems before I do.

Thanks gents !!

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a kid I remembered the early 55 Chevy pickup we had also had turn signals integrated as does the 53 Stude, I am sure there are earlier versions. I've picked up some old add on turn signal switches that not only looked old timey but were. I had the figure out the wiring on the switch I put in a 49 Ford (with help from the HAMB on how to do that). One of the vintage turn signal switches had a roller that contacted the steering wheel to turn it off.

As I read my response I see that I did what a lot of folks do to my queries....answer another question:) Sorry!!

3. nobby

nobby

there are 3 different turn signal switches
    57 chevy - no hazard/park dip headlight
    68 camaro hazard switch - no dip
    69 up is the big collar tilt style. with hazard and dip

all the 3 collars are different sizes

you need to familiarise yourself with the harness/loom plug to tell them apart as on a pic on the internet they all look the same
    another way to make sure is by looking at the conversion column harness tails, i.e. there are
    tails with the female and male ends you 'don#'t' see in the pics of the switches
    i.e. if fitting a tilt column in a 57 chevy, the plus goes from the later style to the early style
    jegs are the only supplies on the planet that seem to do a gm column harness/loom plug kit $30
    I think it uses the middle style plugs

or, IF you have an aftermarket loom, it will come with later style crimped on ends that don't fit the 57 chevy style connectors, they are a funny sized flat bullet

oh and while you are talking about dip switches, you don't need to use a 57 chevy style that puts the connector outside, use one like this
    [​IMG]
    the loom plug on the aftermarket loom is for this layout

or more simply, just use a column that has the turn signal and hazard on the switch, as you are simply pulling the park/hazard contacts at the column switch, rather than having to have lots more wires to a dash mounted switch
    the dip beam switch wants to live on the floor

something about horn relay

stay away from anything 1965-69 ford - mustang f100 as the horn contact ring is on the steering wheel, gm its at the switch on a floating disc - easy, that sprung pin is to the button, its much easier

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  4. deuceman32

deuceman32

I found a 53 F100 column with factory signal switch, which will cancel if I find the matching ring tab off the back of an F100 steering wheel and adapt that to my 40 wheel.

5. mfp-66

mfp-66

i made the parts for the control rods to control the indicators & high/dip/flash switches. didn't want a bolt on indicator unit fastened to the side of the column so decided to put the switches behind the dash and use rods and linkages to operate them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the switches that are mounted behind the dash, you could use any indicator switch adapted to linkage
    [​IMG]
    this is it mounted in the car. similar to the original hand controls on the old column
    [​IMG]

Ned Ludd and Weedburner 40 like this.
  6. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Photobucket is not your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I also have ‘55 Chevy so I am familiar with those columns. I used a’56 column in my roadster because I wanted it to be slim and have column shift.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

I ended up using a column from a late sixties GM pickup that had a 4 speed transmission because I wanted a simple column with hazard flasher and no shifter.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have a 1950’s Ford truck column with the factory turn signal switch .

10. Self-cancelling turn signals became required equipment on all new vehicles in '55, but they were standard on some and optional on others dating back to the '40s. I'm partial to the early '50s Ford units (up to '56, maybe '57) as they were all-metal switches that could be repaired if need be. By the '60s, plastic had taken over, switch repairs became difficult. Four-way flashers were required starting in '67, with most being integrated into the turn switch. Ford stuck with an add-on system on their trucks until '69, that's the newest OEM 'bare bones' switch I'm aware of.

Generally, they were standard on most cars by '52, only trucks still appeared sans signals until '55.

mad mikey and Ned Ludd like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 70 Chev C10 floor shift column saved back for either the 48 or my model A Clean and simple column wise and no issue with a steering wheel adapter or hopefully with putting a 53 Bel Air steering wheel on it. No problem with the turn signal switch either in obtaining or hooking it up. The issue with the truck column is the way the steering shaft factory U joint is set up. Not too easy to connect to anything but a similar truck.
    On the previously mentioned 57 Chevy column. turn signal hookup there are 10 buck pigtails to hook that rounded connector to the flat GM connector used in most wiring kits so that really isn't an issue.
    I've got the complete 53 Chevy car box and column with the 53 wheel and it is real clean and scabless but again you are back to collector car trinket vendor for the electrical parts.

12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm using the column out of a 56 F1, has factory turn signals and the vintage look.

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys !! Greatly appreciate the info!

Don't mind the column bottom as I can cut and modify it to fit a u-joint/ rag joint etc.

Good info on the early 60's ford! As I was looking a a 64 f100 column but the guy decided not to sell. Glad he didn't now as I plan on using the horn set up.

Nice custom work mfp-66!

Like to find an oem setup. Could build one but by the time I add parts, labor, headaches to building one I'd rather just buy it.

Agreed also like to find a very basic column with horn and turn signals.

14. Came out in late '30s. 1939 Buick had one. Self canceling shortly thereafter. 1940/1941?

Ben

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

16. flatford39

flatford39

Pretty sure 53 chevy's had them as well. Not sure about self cancelling though.