Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 2140 Tea Pot Carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moots, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Moots

Moots
    from Dearborn

Hey guys, I have a problem with the accelerator pumps on my carbs. They are constantly dripping fuel into the intake even when the engine is off. It's flooding my engine to the point of having wet spark plugs. It's enough gas to where I am worried about hydro lock up. I am going to have to change my plugs and oil before I run my motor again. I have to take the plugs out to dry the cylanders out. The carbs are real wet and it's even dripping through to the linkage and onto the intake and down into the valley pan. Engine seems to run alright except for the front cylander on the driver side keeps fouling out. Not sure how to dry these carbs out? Anybody have a similad experience?

2. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago, I had a similar experience with the Holley 4000 (similar to your 2140) on my '55 Mercury. The float needle wasn't seating properly when the bowl was full. The problem was grit in the fuel from a rusty tank. Dirt was also getting into my fuel pump and causing the little flapper valves to not seat leading to no fuel pressure. I experienced the flooding issue after replacing what I thought was a failed fuel pump. The fresh pump filled the bowl, but the float couldn't shut off the flow because of the junked up needle seat! :eek: After having the fuel tank cleaned, I added an extra filter just before the fuel pump to catch any debris from entering the pump. The fuel pump I use (FE style on a Y-block) filters the fuel after it goes through the pump.
    So, check your float needle to make sure it's seating and check your fuel system for debris. Oh! And make sure your fuel pressure isn't too high! If I remenber correctly, the teapots need 4 or 5 psi. :)

3. R Pope

R Pope

If you run a Holley tea pot, you'd better check your insurance. They are the world's worst flamers!

4. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They really aren't that bad. Once you get to know their peculiarities, they're really easy to work on. Plus, they look so cool in pairs! :D

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Chris's inlet valve sceario is one of the likelies. Also check float LEVEL, consider adjusting to LOW end of spec. Most carbs also have a check valve that is lifted/opened by the pump shot when the accel pump is operating as intended...if the check valve is missing or stuck open, pump shooter circuit becomes a nice syphon path and can also feed unmetered extra gasoline into venturis when car is running.
    And when people ask "what is THAT on your engine??" You can reply "You've never seen a Holley four-barrel?"

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One thing is clear when looking at any of the '50's Holleys...Holley had a LOT of faith in gaskets and very little in gravity!

7. Honest Clarkie

Honest Clarkie

Im havin issue with one running super fat and rinsing out my oil after 5 mins. Cant seem to find a proper rebuild kit. Any advice on that? Perhaps a part number for a kit?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Motorcraft kits seem to be the best.
    CT-174-A for ‘56 and ‘57 E-code carbs
    CT-175-A for ‘55 carbs
    I bought my kits through National Parts Depot (55-57 Thunderbirds)
    Hope this helps, :)