Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Radiator in my '50 coupe Flathead V8 now it doesn't circulate

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Greg Winters, Apr 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Greg Winters

Greg Winters

Cooling system was working fine but the old radiator was leaking slightly, now it overheats right away and when check the radiator and upper hoses are cool lower hoses luke warm engine 200 degrees both sides, I've worked on cars all my life but this is my first Flathead V8, I'm guessin a air block but would appreciate some input

2. New or old radiator?

Aluminum or copper/brass? HRP

3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. When running without radiator cap on is water flowing into the radiator tank? Other than radiator what else did you change? If no water flow into radiator tank check thermostats and if they are open check hoses. On those engines the lower hose had a steel spring inside and if hose is old & spring missing or rusted out the lower hose could suck shut restricting water flow. Been any years since my last flathead V8 but that is a place to start looking. f all hoses are good and no water flow check water pump.. Good luck, Jimmie

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The pumps move the cooler water from the bottom of the radiator into the the lower block. It is then forced up through block and exits at the heads to return to the radiator and repeat the cycle.
    Your cool upper hoses tell us you have either an obstruction or your pumps aren’t moving the coolant.
    Yes maybe your thermostats aren’t working.
    Are BOTH hoses cool??

ted kovacs likes this.

5. Seen similar before.
    Check the hose spigots for shipping caps.

Slopok likes this.
  6. Greg Winters

Greg Winters

Pulled the thermostats coolant started circulating right away, must have airlocked, checked the 'stats they open at 180 may replace with some lower temp 'stats. Thanks

Petejoe likes this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’m not saying using thermostats aren’t good for maintaining normal working temperatures but I stopped using them to achieve better flow in the systems of all my Flathead’s.