Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help answering grandsons question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphies54, May 4, 2020.

1. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

My Grandson thinks I know everything, but I'm stumped here. He and buddy changed distributor and carb on a 7o's era SBC along with wires etc, now he tells me it will only run at a 1000 rpm idle for 1-2 minutes before the exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipes turn cherry red and it's not running very smooth either. I thought wiring order but he say's it's checked and rechecked so ???? Help gramp's keep his reputation, any thoughts or help greatly appreciated, Thanks Ralphie

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Timing. It’s opening the exhaust valve while the mixture is burning, allowing it to burn in the exhaust pipe.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Maybe the distributator wasn't set back in the proper way.

mgtstumpy and olscrounger like this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Pretty sure running lean will do that also.

Pat

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Too advanced.

firstinsteele likes this.
  6. chargin03

chargin03

Could have knocked off a large vacuum hose.

7. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Good evening, I would need a little more information. Did they go from a points ignition to an HEI? What is the vehicle? Is this the original motor to the vehicle?
    Older vehicles with points and coils had their ignition voltage cut down to 9 volts thru either a ballast resistor, or a resistance wire. He will need to verify he is getting 12 volts to the coil.
    To start, The 1000rpm, seems like the idle screw may be set too high. This could be the cause for the exhaust turning cherry red as it needs to have the carb adjusted and the idle turned down. Stock SBC like around 500-700rpm idle at 8 to 10 degrees advanced on timing.
    If it is a Holley carb, I like to turn the idle air mixture screws all the way in then back them out
    1 1/2 turns. You can use a vacuum gauge to check everything and make sure when they set initial timing the vacuum advance on the distributor is plugged.
    The rough running can be multiple things from plugs, wires, air/fuel mix, a vacuum leak around base of carb or timing. Best thing to do is make a troubleshooting list and check off each one as it is verified.
    I hope this helps and can get you somewhere.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary, kiwijeff and lo c dan like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of motor

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

too retarded, it is firing with the exhaust valve open. that is why the manifold is red hot. verify firing order, then put a timing light on it....

10. BJR

BJR

Bad gasket under the carb, or a vacuum hose off causing a bad vacuum leak making it to run lean and hot.

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Way out of time, retarded (too late).

Just Gary, ottoman and firstinsteele like this.
  12. Mark is right,,,,,timing extremely low will make manifolds glow .
    Hotrodmyk ,,,is correct as well .
    At least that is the first thing I thought of .

Get the timing correct ,,then go from there.

Tommy

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Verify "0" or TDC on the balancer and pointer for accuracy, using a piston stop tool.

When the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke the distributor rotor should also point or be aligned with the #1 terminal on the distributor cap.

There's a few different ways of getting the ignition timing turned around, but if you check it this way, it will be correct every time and should fire right up, maybe need a little advance - 10 deg. or so.

If the timing is retarded or late the manifolds will start glowing real quick and may warp valves.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. jaracer

jaracer

Just the opposite, retarded timing starts the fire late and it ends up burning in the exhaust. I had the mag slip (retard) on my race car and the headers were glowing cherry red.

ottoman and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Retarded timing. Advance the timing .When you get the timing correct, turn the idle screw out and slow the idle down. When you get the timing correct it will be idling even faster. JMO Lippy

ottoman, WB69 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

Uncross #5 and #7 plug wires and check the firing order again.
    Advance the timing.
    Check for a vacuum leak, and/or proper float setting. Gene

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Always been a timing issue when I've experienced the red hot manifolds like you described.

olscrounger and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Timing is everything.....just ask my girl..........

Just Gary and Flathead Dave like this.
  19. Mimilan

Mimilan

If it is points ignition, now would be a good time to teach him the "magic black art" of timing a distributor with a test light.

20. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Thanks to all, forwarded info to Grandson, he and friend will get back to us, Thanks

sgtlethargic likes this.
  21. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Just heard from Eric, he and friend are landscapers and can't get to car till next Sunday, Thanks once again, Ralphie