Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Curved replacement windshields

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37slantback, May 4, 2020.

1. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was watching some car videos and admiring some of the rear glass on some of the late 50s cars. I always wondered what the hell do you do if the windshields or rear glass break on some of the more obscure cars. Even in the big three. Some models only had a few thousand made that year. I can't imagine having a windshield or rear window busted out and not able to find a replacement!

So, what are the stories boys?

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$$$$$$$ There are a few glass shops that can make windshields to order for obscure or custom rigs. The cost might be prohibitive for the majority of guys though.

3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, the pucker factor is high too. I was looking at the rear window of a 59 Montclair that wraps up over the top. Yikes.

4. scotts52

scotts52

A one off custom usually runs anywhere from $3500-5000

37slantback likes this.

5. You buy a parts car that only has clean glass to start.

RICH B, stillrunners and squirrel like this.
  6. A lot of the big manufacturers used common rooflines across their models, so a '59 Caddy rear screen will fit a '60 Olds, etc.. They can be re-made using 6mm acrylic, using an original complete screen as a pattern.

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My better half has a 60 Lincoln Parts Car that he bought when the previous owner took it in for service and overnight some aholes broke every window in the car. Replacement glass was more than the car was worth.

8. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I was thinking. I love the curved glass but thats a nightmare scenario.

9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scotts52, do you know of a particular company that does that?

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And how is it done?

11. Some really good glass guys .. can match up modern screens for their curvature & mass .. and if that curve matches the older model .. as does the sizing .. they can cut down the modern to fit.

Obviously this tactic does not work for all .. but I have seen an off topic, classic 1960's Saab .. .. which is impossible to find windshields for .. get a 1996 Impala windshield cut down to fit.

Mind blown.

Driver50x and 37slantback like this.
  12. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

37slantback likes this.
  13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

37slantback likes this.
  14. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys, keep them coming. I am sure bookmarks are being updated with those vendors mentioned above.

I see this as part of keeping these beasts on the road.

15. Auto City Classics is my go to for hard to find parts, they offer windshields and rear glass, they were the only people that offered a replacement station wagon gas tank for our 54 Ford, that's when I found out they had glass. HRP

Auto City Classics

37slantback likes this.
  16. I recall guys getting custom curved windows made by making the wood pattern and sending them to Sweden or something like that. This was for D'agostino and Zoochi type high end builds. Im sure those were 2K + about 500.00 in frieght each way.
    But buying a 3500.00 back window for a 1500.00 Studebaker? Seems Assbackward. You know what I mean.

If anyone needs a Forward look sedan 57-61 windshield. hit me up. you have to pick it up and I dont needed.

37slantback likes this.
  17. I've only seen used rear glass for my Ford and I hesitated to get it since mine is still okay. Why take something out of play that someone may need now? Windshields, no sweat and most are made in countries I have never heard of before. I de-coded my new windshield, just look up the code to see where it was made.

37slantback likes this.
  18. I had a really nice '55 Ford 2 dr. HT in my back 40 years ago. Planned to make a sweet ride out of it. My friend's turd head kid shot the back glass out of it with a BB gun. Ended up selling it to a guy that had a lead on a glass. Broke my heart to see it driving on the street.

37slantback likes this.
  19. @kidcampbell71 Just can't get my head on classic and Saab in the same sentence.:)

20. Lol. Yeah. It's a thing overseas. Slightly so .. here.

I was sleep jones-ing late night .. watching TV, & saw these guys do their glass magic. Not a Saab advocate .. but I did sip up some intel'. :)

21. BJR

BJR

Auto City Classics is where I got the new windshields for my 49 Buick.

22. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Thank you for this information, I just ordered my green tinted side windows for my 55 Customline. They were only $45 each plus shipping. Super cheap!

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app