Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Graffiti 55 has a new owner!! Real car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Jan 30, 2012.

1. dcs13

dcs13

Any updates on the 55 ? I'm in Texas I'd really love to see the real deal...Love to own that car one day as well....

Quain Stott likes this.
  2. a3255g

a3255g

I'm in Texas. I like the cars in TLB & AG. I started out to build a TLB 55 & wife says, why don't you build it like the AG 55. Oh, so you like that one better? Yeah. Ok, years later I now have a clone/replica or close to Ag 55. I now am in the process of building an AG 32. Real steel. Some day I can go cruise with both. Everybody has a dream or dream car. I stuck with mine 40 years, so can you. I enjoy reading the folks here on this site. Keep it up & burn some rubber.

3. dcs13

dcs13

Its been 8 YEARS. Does anyone have an update on the AG 55 ???? Unless im blind, it hasn't surfaced since this sale ????

4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I saw a photo and a bi line in a magazine a number of years ago stating that it was the original AG 55 but it had been over restored and modernized and like the project X 57 no longer resemble the original. kind of like the recent restoration of the Kookie T of Norm Grabowski. To me it was over restored and now looks like a current day clone and has lost it's character . Larry

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I have wondered myself. Finding out someone had bought it and had plans to put it back to it's American Graffiti glory days made me very happy. Now to think who ever this is is keeping it hid from people like me who would just love to know what happened and maybe just a few pictures.

6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Perhaps like so many it was taken apart “to be restored” and never put back together again. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Agree, strange this thread went mysteriously silent for 5yrs. Damn, I was hopin' for a monumental (re)build thread.:(

Anyone? Bueller...?

8. dcs13

dcs13

Thats my fear. Someone bought it and maybe passed and no one knew the REAL significance of the car. Just cant believe its been off the radar that long. I may try to contact the original poster if theres no updates..

9. 55Belairman

55Belairman

I understood the new buyer wanted to keep things more on the private side . In the first post, it said that he hoped to enlist the help of Richard Ruth with the restoration. Perhaps someone who is close to the Ruth shop could ask Richard to give a general response, without being too specific. I would rely like an update, in fact, I was hoping that when the 55 was complete, the two surviving 55's could be shown together.

10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The original OP hasn’t posted anything on the hamb in awhile. However; when he was posting on the car it was always kinda of vague. The one update picture he posted was of a guy working on a car where you could maybe kinda possibly see a rear quarter panel in the background somewhere. I always thought it was weird.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. mkubacak

mkubacak

I did some asking around and the car is still in Odessa. They did not know the current condition. If I get any additional information, I will update.

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you for the update! Yes please post if you hear anything.

Did the original OP say if what the connection was between the old owner and the current owner. I would have figured if a car like that was up for sale more people would have known about it.

13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

14. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

^^^^^^^^^^
    I've got a similar ad from July 1985 and Steve Fitch was asking for offers over $15,000.

I thought recently (within past year or so) there was a thread about the car being bought from someone on the east coast and was going to be made back into the AG car. Ron

15. dcs13

dcs13

Thanks brother..

16. That car burned. It flipped and almost killed that skinny gal from Lavern and Shirley
    Opie was ticked. He almost beat up Indiana Jones.
    All while the shark scientist from Jaws was chasing the blonde from Threes Company.

17. Butch M

Butch M

I remember when it was here he had the coupe too

benchseat4speed likes this.
  18. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Now that is funny!

19. Oh man, that’s freakin funny.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Mac_55

Mac_55

Id like to see it in its current state aswell. Been alot of years since the sale.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  21. Farrah's husband that she burned up won that race...

lothiandon1940 and arkiehotrods like this.
  22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

This video is from 2010 when the guy in Maryland owned it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBlpNVDcxM
    KK

23. DinoFromDover

DinoFromDover

Any Progress on Locating the car & new owner ???

Torkwrench likes this.
  24. Seems odd that a guy who buys the most famous 55 Chevy in the world wants to keep things private. Would be interesting to hear something about it.

25. Not that I care but I remember the one in MD and I was told it was a replica and not one of the original movie cars.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. It may be part of a collection and the owner may be happy just to own it without feeling the need to show it off.

A very famous Harley chopper with an American flag painted on the gas tank (hint: it was in a movie :D) is parked in a warehouse near my Mom's house, alongside some other bikes and many cars (orig 427 Cobra, Shelby Mustang, Gullwing Merc, Ferrari's, Manx buggy etc etc). I have never seen it out and about or on display anywhere. Some people just enjoy owning and don't have the time or inclination to display it. The person I am specifically referring to spends time vintage road racing and blasting around in massive off-shore boats (he has several) so it's not like he's just sitting beside the bike, staring at it :) Could be a similar situation with the owner of the the '55.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  27. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought that very famous Harley chopper had been stolen, and never recovered...

Gizzy, chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  28. dcs13

dcs13

Bumping the thread in case there's any updates...

benchseat4speed and Just Gary like this.
  29. The last time I saw the car was an episode of Jay Leno’s garage in which he took James Taylor to a storage facility in north Hollywood (I think) and inside was the TLB 55, the value ( at the time) was $150k. Sounds like somebody wanted it really bad.

jim snow likes this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

And James said....hell it was a POS then!! You drug me out here for this?:D