Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WHICH ONE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim38, May 3, 2020.

?

Which one

Poll closed May 7, 2020.
  1. 1950 ford business coupe

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 1949 chevy deluxe coupe

42 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Chevy... absolutely.

1950... good.
    Business Coupe... good.
    Rotisserie restoration, assuming quality work... good.
    Nice shiny black paint... good.
    Later 235 engine, hopefully 1956 or newer with insert bearings and full pressure oiling... good.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a back seat. I think some of the business Coupes had seats and some didn't for that year? I forgot for sure. I think you can put one in regardless. If you don't have more than three little ones, I think you'd all enjoy the coziness of the Business Coupe interior.

And I think you personally would enjoy driving the Chevy with the smooth slightly buzzy 235 with the 3-speed column shift more than you would a fairly mundane V8 and automatic transmission. I drove a stock 1952 Chevy 2 door sedan years ago and enjoyed it.

The three speed cars come with a 4:11 differential. And that's perfect for around town and parades as you said. The cars with automatic transmissions had more of a highway gear. If whoever built that car may have installed an automatic type differential... and that helps the old Chevy 6 engines to live at highway speeds.

Good luck!

Desoto291Hemi, kiwijeff and slim38 like this.
  2. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Great responses guys. Yall are giving me plenty to think about.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I just pushed the votes to 50/50. I voted 49.

VANDENPLAS and slim38 like this.
  4. That Chevy is beautiful and what I vote for! My brother had a 49 coupe for a while before he got his 54 hardtop and I really liked it.

slim38 likes this.
  5. Chevy - so we can close your post on the back seat for the Ford.

slim38 likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Man, that's a tough question, but for the wife and kids, I would probably have to go with the Ford, with it's AC and auto trans. If I went that route, I would replace the bumpers straight away with stock ones, and probably change the grille around to suit me. That said, for me alone, I would take the black Chevy, and remove all of the bumper accessories. Since my youngest will be 30 this year, it would be the Chevrolet in my drive.

loudbang and slim38 like this.
  7. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

since i am a hot rodder and not a stocker kind of guy, i would go with the ford. i also do not have good luck with 6 cylinders. besides, you always have to do some work on any car you buy. if it's the ford, lose those stupid dummy spotlights if nothing else.

loudbang and slim38 like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't see the Chev engine but I'm guessing it's a later 235. For you, if the side cover includes the area above the spark plugs it's a 216 early. If under the spark plugs a 235. Also if the oil pressure guage only goes to 30 and its pegged when running, it's a full pressure 235.
    The Chev has a lot of additional options in the bumpers area with ends and guards. Very desirable to some (me). Nice stainless as a Delux model.
    For me Chev all the way and when you get a chance add a 12 volt system. Alternator and bulbs and volt-a-drops on the radio and heater. The 6 volt starter will work just fine.
    If for some reason the Chev is hard starting, dicker with the price, and the then change cables to a larger diameter (AWG) wires. .
    With the Chev the only draw back is better brakes came out in 1952. Good luck.

VANDENPLAS and slim38 like this.
  9. Hmmm..
    I'll agree that for a car lot price, I'd go over the Chevy with a fine-tooth comb. Take a magnet to check for bondo. One other thing... 'it's been done to original'. Does that mean it still has the 216 in it? One rod dipper breaks off and you're replacing the motor. Make damn sure it has a full-pressure 235 in it. Change the hubcaps and you have a near dead-stock car. That black paint will broil you in the summer sun. Closed driveline is a PITA to work on.

The Ford has more character, but does need some help. That would be your chance to 'make it your own'. Lose the briz bumpers for sure. The no back seat and stationary rear windows is a downer, but the AC is a big plus, and the late V8 will make high-speed cruising a breeze, and repair parts will be easier to find. Don't care for the color, but could live with it.

slim38 likes this.
  10. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@jimmy six. I didn't mention that engine is the 235 and i misqouted a 2 year old restoration. Its more like 6 years old. Great points you make though. This car sold at a barret Jackson auction for 17.5k in 2014 when first restored.

11. I think the question you need to ask yourself is, will you be happy driving 1949 technology as in the Chevy? While that has its charms, it comes with a lot of minuses too. Again, the black paint will probably roast you in the summer, and any mods you may contemplate to improve it will likely hurt the value unless you do a wholesale running gear change. Restored cars of this vintage are losing value as the usual buyers die off; minor upgrades will do little if any to help that.

The Ford is a bit raggedy, but is presentable and it appears at least some of the heavy lifting in terms of mechanical upgrades has been done. If it's solid and sound mechanically, just about any improvements you do to it will help value. And I don't see anything that I'd feel bad about changing, so 'making it your own' will be guilt-free. Price is a bit high given only condition compared to the Chevy, but if it were in the same condition it would cost more.

I suspect that cash will talk when discussing price (particularly in this market), so you may be able to keep a few extra $$ with the Chevy, or have a good 'starter budget' for the Ford.

slim38 and loudbang like this.
  12. I vote for neither. You can do a lot better with 14k in your pocket. Let your wallet do the thinking, not your heart. Buy the car, not the story.

scrap metal 48 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. chargin03

chargin03

Black

slim38 likes this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh... it's the Ford that doesn't have a back seat.
    You and your family are going to have a lot of fun in that Chevy.

slim38 likes this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of money, but not out of line for a completely frame off restored car with no issues.
    Needs to be top drawer, though.

slim38 likes this.
  16. Slopok

Slopok

Nobody seems to care about her I see, so which one did you choose??? ;)

17. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@Slopok You are right, no one cares about my mother n law. Lol. Shes gonna be ok. Wont have surgery till swelling goes down though. Looks like i bought the Chevy. The older resto on the ford was starting to show. The chevy is super clean and runs great. Starts right up with no problem. You cant even hear the starter turn over and it runs straight with no play or wobble. It will be delivered to me tomorrow morning and ill get some more pics. The guy is retired and has a small dealership and sells a few classics. All in im at 15k. Thats the purchase of car, delivery to my front door, title transfer fees, inspection, antique tags good for 4 years and stupid state taxes(%6.25). For now ill drive it as is and down the line ill lower the back some.

Jim Bouchard, AndersF and Turnipseed like this.
  18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Had a 50 Ford tudor about 10 years ago and would rather have the Chevy. Been looking at the early Chevys lately and kind of interested in one for the next project.

slim38 likes this.
  19. Hombre

Hombre

I had as 1949 6 Cylinder Chevy a while back. I would run to that Ford no question about it, better styling, better engine choice by a country mile, and it's just a lot cooler. Black Chevy would be fine for Grand Pa though.

slim38 likes this.
  20. That Chevy is gorgeous, a real winner, but I would still go with the Ford since I think it would be an easier driver and more like a rod than a restoration. Don't care much for the color though.

Hombre, loudbang and slim38 like this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

As much as I like my Shoebox Fords...That Chevy rocks.

slim38 likes this.
  22. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without any hesitation, I'd choose the Chevy Sport Coupe! And I'm a Shoebox Ford owner. But I've always thought the 49-50 Chevy Sport Coupes and Fleetlines are the best looking cars from that era. I'm accumulating parts for a '50 Fleetline right now, it will fulfill a dream I've had since high school.

slim38 likes this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would like to shoot the designer of that era of Chevys,if the trans needs to come out it will have to come out through the inspection cover in the floor. The crossmember is all riveted in forcing the trans to come out the top along with the carpet and possibly the front seat so if it needs a clutch in the future drill out all of those rivets and do it the normal way. I put a clutch in a friends 49 business coupe and was cussing the designers the whole time.

Hombre and slim38 like this.
  24. Well even though I said if it were my choice I would go with the Ford, I think you will be tickled pink with the Chevy. Its by far the nicer car and should last you a long time.

slim38 likes this.
  25. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Congrats on the purchase. Pretty car and not way out of line on price. My guess is , you would have a hard time finding a solid one and restoring it for anywhere around that price. Plus you will be enjoying it right away.

slim38 likes this.
  26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

27. I'm a Ford guy who always liked the shoeboxes, but I'd go with the Chevy. For one thing, you will be able to teach your children to drive with a 3 on the tree, and they will be the only people under 50 who have a clue as to how to drive a 3 on the tree.

guthriesmith and slim38 like this.
  28. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@38fordpickup I did go with the 49 Chevy. It does puzzle my son when he sees me shifting gears. Lol

guthriesmith likes this.
  29. slim38 likes this.