Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone using an inflatable spray booth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 3, 2020.

1. new shop needs a new booth
    My original plan was to build out under this mezzanine and be my spray booth.
    It would be 34x13 x 8’ high. I’ve got the lights and air handling units. No wall or curling materials, no wire, and not much time.

FC4B1B36-676F-4114-8CB2-B02CE9BD9E69.jpeg BF2EB826-E851-47EB-B494-52788AED744F.jpeg
    It will cost me way more than $1200 bucks and who knows how long to get it finished. And just the way it’s laid out it’s won’t be easy to load. I know it’s wrong but everyone knows I’ll be doing other things in the spray booth area.

This is inflatable is making a lot of sense to me.

3B23DDEE-8008-43C3-881A-6534FC3599D3.jpeg

A35C07E4-6B0E-4FD6-8FCC-3466FBDBEEDE.png

I’m just wondering if my imagination and expectations would align with reality of what shows up.
    So that’s why I’m asking

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. raven

raven

No experience but my vote would be to just do it and move on.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. “It” being,,,,
    Do the build
    Or
    Do it buy the inflatable

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. looks very "throwaway able"

5. if you can "lose" the cost in the first job, anything past that would be a bonus.

kiwijeff and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  6. lilmann

lilmann

In my neck of the woods someone is renting an inflatable booth.....maybe check Craigslist and Facebook to see if that’s a possibility?

7. BJR

BJR

How much space does it take up when deflated. And do you have a place to store it when not in use? Also how much of a job is it to set it up?

8. How much are they renting it for?
    couple rents might pay for it.
    Them damn bounce houses for the kids cost a bit.

9. Not sure but I got the room and forklift.
    Some YouTube set up videos seem really easy.

10. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

How much does it weigh? at 39” x16 x13 it could be big and bulky and heavy when it deflated. You could build a pallet or crate to store it in and use the forklift to put it a way.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

How many (plus shipping) can you afford to throw away? Nothing kills business like poor paint jobs, repeat business makes money. Bob

CORRECTION: Repeat business in NOT the same job getting redone, it is the happy customer bringing another project for work and paint.

X-cpe, tb33anda3rd and s55mercury66 like this.
  12. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I painted my car last fall and saw those inflatable spray booths when I was contemplating what to use. I went a different direction and built a ‘spray booth’ in my shop from plastic sheeting, 2 x 4s, lathe and some box fans with furnace filters. It’s 9ft tall, 10ft wide, and 16 ft long(?) and cost me about $400. It worked OK, but the air handling was never great and there was more nibs in the paint than I hoped for. All in all it worked and the paint job turned out pretty good.

I think I could have rented someone’s professional spray booth for similar money, but now I have it and have used it for other small projects.

I know your question was for feedback about the inflatable booths, but I thought I’d chime in about a low-buck method along the lines of your other plan.

I added the picture of the paint job because, well, everyone likes pictures.

17F1AE1D-247B-4343-B608-0BC5172DC5EE.jpeg

13. I dunno.....seems like it would be a pain in the ass to setup and take down. Unless you have space to leave it up.
    I built a permanent booth in my shop. I use it for other stuff when not painting. Mostly a parking spot...:rolleyes:

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

No welding while it is set up. And no using your plasma cutter either.

15. evintho

evintho

How about this...………...

003_3.jpg

007_7.jpg

015_15.jpg

016_16.jpg

025_25.jpg

029_29.jpg

warbird1, scotty t, Dave Mc and 20 others like this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

We had one at a shop I worked at , wasn’t really that impressed with it I guess, my own money I’d be tempted to do it with plastic and 2x4s and some box fans

Flathead Dave likes this.
  17. Ive seen a few pf the ypunger you tube car builders use em, and the only negative i can think of, was one guy got one that was way to big for his shop.
    Never heard anyone bad mouth em.

18. METAL MELTDOWN and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. BJR

BJR

How does the lighting inside the booth work? I can't see any in the picture you supplied.

20. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

21. Heres a couple of young brothers who build off topic cars, who are building a truck for their Dad, using one recently.

22. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I made mine out of 3/4 pvc pipe and fittings. Covered it with visqueen with duct tape holding the visqueen in place. furnace filters and a box fan for air out. Took apart and trashed the visqueen when finished. Maybe 200 bucks invested. Still have the pvc and fittings.

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

My buddy and I were talking about getting one. My building is 40x60x14, but with machines and cars the space needs to stay fluid so I can move things around for what I'm doing. Naturally, everything gets covered with dust eventually. Ultimately what you're looking for is an isolated clean room, which the inflatable spray booth will provide. In the end, we wound up just making some curtains and dampening the surrounding area down and he just painted it in the middle of the shop, which came out so nice it was a class winner at a recent Detroit Autorama. But I do think the inflatable spray booth is a good idea, won't require building like the other examples here, can be setup the middle of the room and then disassembled, and then washed down outside when you're done. Just figure that it's not going to package back up as small as it comes, and you'll need to store that, and you'll need to make sure it's good and dry before you pack it back up or it's going to mold like a pool floaty left out too long. I say go for it.

24. In my old shop I built a nice frame from 1” EMT conduit, covered in 6mil plastic, roll up slides removable legs and put it on a hoist to raise the thing up into the ceiling. Worked awesome. Always out of the way.
    This new place is different and I can’t really do that here but I would if I could.

I did buy 100 wedding tent from amazon that works kinda but mostly to keep shit from floating all over the shop.

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Y'know, painting in one of those inflatable booths might put my in a happy mood, instead of my usual grouchy self.

No jumping.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    scotty t and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  26. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

200 $ Costco tent works great
    upload_2020-5-4_6-43-53.jpeg

27. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Sure was foggy in there when he shot the clear. Never used a positive pressure booth but it seems the air wasn’t being replaced quick enough to me.

Flathead Dave and kiwijeff like this.
  28. [​IMG]

I think Evintho has the best idea ever. Semi Permanent, built once, structurally sound, good light and doesn't take much space when not in use!

raven likes this.
  29. evintho

evintho

Not mine. Grabbed the photos off the internet years ago and saved 'em. I thought it was the coolest thing ever!