Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brass oilers

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Chappy444, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Going through some boxes of stuff and came across these 3 brass oilers...
    I know basically what they were used for but I was looking for more info on them.
    Anyone know what specifically they may have been used on?
    Only one has any markings... the smallest one is labeled with Reed manufacturing, Erie PA, Economy. Pat'd. Sep.23.93 (I dont know if that is 1893 or 1993)
    Thanks for any input
    Chappy
    20200401_205101.jpg 20200401_205114.jpg 20200401_205108.jpg

Tim, tractorguy and continentaljohn like this.
  2. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I will go out on a limb and hazard a totally crazy guess that patent was not 1993. But I have been wrong before.

tractorguy and Chappy444 like this.
  3. I'm with you sliced

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Chappy444 likes this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

My first job in a machine shop was in 1969. An older guy was known as Oil Can Nick, he ran an old planer mill that had a really large table, it must have been about 15’ x 30’. Every morning Nick filled all the brass oilers, they were common on old equipment before the days of centralized lube systems.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I ran and worked on many pipeline compressors that had the oilers on them . Oiled the crossheads and unpressurized areas . The best I can remember one of them had 14 oilers that would require oil ever 12 hour shift . It was a scary job , climbing around on this massive piece of cast iron , with a 1400 hp motor balance flywheel spinning in the middle of the mass .

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Very cool oilers... We used them at our spring shop not only to lube the machines but also the materials going thru the rollers. As many materials like nichrome will not coil without lube...

7. B0B39BC6-10C4-4530-9C45-B441CFEE29B6.jpeg 2FF60CF5-58F7-4564-887E-AF8DA3127D6C.jpeg Cool
    That economy one is real nice
    They are worth big bucks to collectors

I got this guy that sits on my desk at work.
    Should polish it up one of these days

8. I am with you on this... i assumed 1893 as well, And I did find a Reed manufacturing company in Erie, PA founded in 1896 (still in business)… now the question is did the patent come before the business??? and if so, how did a business founded in 1896 get a patent in their business name in 1893...

That same company currently has an Oiler product called an Oil Bucket described as "REED Oilers effectively deliver threading oil as the gun-and-trigger approach makes it easy to pump oil directly on the work"

interesting either way and a good diversion for my mind in these boring locked in the house days. LOL

thanks for all the responses guys,
    Bill

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. That's a nice one... I laughed at your polish it up comment... I was staring at them last night thinking I should take them apart and clean them up real nice... I am running out of things to do inside the house after it gets to dark to work in the yard and on the house... never thought I would say this, but if this lockdown is what retirement is like then I don't want to retire...LOL
    Chappy

tractorguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I really need one installed on the kicker knee badly !

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. Sportster? I have a bad case of XLCH knee. Really sore at times.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Polish them ....Nice paper weights.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

No Sportster , FLH . I never could determine why the old iron head sportsters were so tough to start . They will hurt you badly , when you lease expect it to .

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have a 1960 XLCH with 38 degrees of locked advance! Sometimes it reminds you who is BOSS!:D:eek:

15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Interesting how a thread about a device designed to drip oil morphed into a thread about Harleys.........

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Redirect :D but it is amazing how many vintage machines automobiles motorcycles to machinery to make both the cars and bikes. Heck even my sewing machines have image.jpg them.. they really aren’t more then a grease fitting for light oil applications. Small ones have a piece of felt in them to slow flow

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. There is something about Oilers that is really cool to look at, you just know they came from long ago. Cant explain why they have that effect on me.

18. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Brass steam whistles too.

continentaljohn and harley jim like this.
  19. These were called "sight feed oilers" and were used on all kinds of machinery from steam engines to "hit and miss" engines, inboard boat engines, tools, you name it. It is a "total loss" oil system that you would adjust the timing of the drip by adjusting the thumb screw on the top to supply just the oil it needed.
    "Economy" was a popular "hit and miss" engine manufacturer that used that logo. My family has been involved with collecting antique engines for probably 60 years and I have never seen an oiler like the one marked "Economy",even though we had several over the years. I would guess that one is quite collectable...

20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry I have Harleys with oilers also! Gary P4040002.JPG P4040001.JPG

continentaljohn and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. I found one in a box and cleaned it up a bit. It looks a lot like one of yours[​IMG][​IMG]

VANDENPLAS and continentaljohn like this.
  22. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

All the hitnmiss engines used them. 1893 Patent date is correct. My pal has dozens of them on engines and machines at his shop and collection. Heres mine on a hitnmiss I am doing right now

Attached Files:

23. noboD

noboD

Last time I looked McMaster Carr still sold them, still used in industry. Luckenhiemer{sp?} made lots of them.

24. That is cool,
    I know a man here who has a homemade ice cream concession stand and he runs his churn with a hitnmiss motor. He makes the very best strawberry ice cream.

25. That may be the same guy that has the hit and miss ice cream concession
    stand at the Tuckahoe steam and gas engine show. It is good ice cream...

26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 3 of these very cool vintage " LUNKENHEIMER " brass and glass Oiler's. From a time period when things were made to last a lifetime.
    oilers 1.JPG oilers 2 (2).JPG oilers 3 (2).JPG
    DSC_3304 (2).JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Jack junior is a 1 1/2 hp Fairbanks Morse model Z. This engine is "headless" with points inside the cylinder. (No spark plug) This engine also has the original "stamped steel" hand cart mounted on that cart with wheels. My brother has one just like it that we hauled out of my aunt's spring house in Connecticut. It had been there for pumping water since the '20s. Pretty rare engine, I have never seen another one in my 60 years of doing steam and gas engine shows...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am glad that you can appreciate this particular little engine. It is indeed unique, I had never seen one like it before either. Each summer down at Toledo Washington, at the annual Cowlitz Prairie Grange #737 threshing bee, there is a variety of beautiful antique tractors and engines and all kinds of wonderful vintage machinery that shows up each year. One year I saw a hit or miss engine that was a "Galloway ", I shot some slides of it and turned it into artwork and made shirts out of the artwork.
    galloway (2).jpg
    DSC_3306 (2).JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  29. noboD

noboD

If it burns gas and makes noise I am interested.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.