Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Throatless Shear question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtx1800, May 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've posted on the Garage Journal but....lots of folks here do metal fab too and won't see that post and I'd like their experience on the subject.

We have used and abused a Harbor Freight throatless shear for several years and the blades are shot, time to replace. I know a constant refrain will be to just buy a Beverly B-1 and get the best, it will last a lifetime. I am way past 70, lasting a lifetime might not be that long[​IMG]

The Baileigh unit looks like the other imported models, it is just pricier. Will anyone with experience on both the MPS-1 and other imported models chime in on their experience. Is it worth the higher price?

Thanks for your help

stillrunners likes this.
  2. can the blades be sharpened and adjusted? already have a Chinese shear, maybe it can be fixed before sending more money over seas?

3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have a Woodward Fab throat less shear that works well. I do not use it everyday so the lesser quality unit (compared to a Beverly) suites my needs. I know that when it needs new blades they should readily available.

michael j bates likes this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Replacement blades on ebay

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I bought a used Beverly from a new/used equipment dealer in southern Minnesota some time ago
    Those types of business are worth looking into. I'll see if I can find the name. I also bought a Pullmax from them.
    I bought a 8' combination Whitney Jensen brake born in 1946 from Gladwin.

michael j bates and vtx1800 like this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blades are not available for the Harbor Freight unit that we have. (well that's a lie....I have an extra set of dull blades....they just don't sell them now) I've not looked into sharpening them. Maybe I need to research that a little.

7. alchemy

alchemy

I bought a used Beverly B-2 for about $125, had the blades sharpened for about $100 at the factory, and bought a cast iron stand for it. It now looks and works great, but sits in the corner. I've used it very seldom. I find it's just easier to use hand shears since I'm by myself most of the time.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the input, I decided to spend the kids inheritance and bought a Beverly B-1. Several places (with lower prices) displayed them on their web site but didn't have any in stock. I was told they are hard to get. Once place told me if I paid up front they would order one but it would be 16 weeks before I would get it. I found one on the east coast, last one.....and the price wasn't terrible but no bargain.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

We have a couple of Baileigh tools I would buy the Beverly shear if you want something decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.