Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does a rear end sound like when its going to go bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, May 3, 2020.

1. The dual m exhaust with the cherry bomb mufflers sounds great going down the road.LOL.Bruce.

dirty old man and bobss396 like this.
  2. winduptoy I have change the rear end oil twice and no metal was in the rear end oil.Thanks.Bruce.

winduptoy likes this.
  3. ct1932ford yes at all speeds.Thanks Bruce. P.S. did you sell all your Buicks?

4. Mickeye, that what I was thinking .Thanks Bruce.

5. Do you have a torque tube driveshaft? Was it shortened?

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  6. NO she is all bone stock.Thanks Bruce.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I wanted to say that rear going bad sounds like this Brrrrtttt pffft .

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Don’t you work for a parts store? Tell them you will work for parts . Seriously, folks I have to stop this:oops:

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one in my high school '51 Ford that whined on deceleration from the time my old man bought it off a lot on Lake Street in 1957 until I junked it (rust) in 1961.:D

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Axle bearing be pretty constant but would be worse on one side. When pinion bearing start to go bad at first you will only hear noise under a load like climbing a hill.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Bruce Fischer and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Mopar rears are noisy in vans and wagons Bruce.

12. 173

Take out the driveshaft and see if the yoke wiggles

Bruce Fischer and dirty old man like this.
  13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Sounds like a straight cut gear, Quick Change does...on a good day..!

Mike

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Bruce, which rear end do you have? Are the wheel bearings you replaced pressed onto the axle and held in place with a bolted flange, or do the bearings insert into the axle housing and the axles are held in place with "C" clips?

The "C" clip axle bearings run on the axle shaft itself, if the axle is rough because of a bad bearing, the new bearing will still make noise. In that case, you either need to replace the axles, or get the "fixer bearings" that shift the bearings in the housing to run on a different part of the axle shaft. By your comment about changing the gear lube, I would lean towards you having the "C" clip axles.

With the pressed on axle bearings with the bolt on flange to retain the axle on one side (I forget which side its on), there is an adjustable spacer held in place with a clip that is under one of the nuts. Often that clip gets lost, and the adjustment gets out of adjustment, or the adjustment was not correct to begin with. That out of adjustment can cause a bearing noise.

Which axle you have will determine what to look for. Gene

15. 41rodderz My bosses husband told me he thought it sounded the something is bad in the rear As soon as I paint my Dodge truck , he going to take it home and see whats going on.Thanks Bruce.

16. O.K. I haven't thought of that Thanks.Bruce.

17. Gene, I have the c clips when I changed the wheel bearings the axels were smooth as a babys bottom.LOL.Thanks.Bruce.