Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacingRoger, May 3, 2020.

1. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

I had an ignition problem, and I bought a new coil, figuring that was it. It wasn't. Got the problem solved, but now I have a decision to make. I try to carry a plethora of spare parts for road repairs, so I'm thrilled to have the extra coil. But what would you do, and why? Leave the new coil in place and keep the old for emergencies, or reinstall the old coil and keep the new one for a spare?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Keep the new one on, saved the old reliable one for that event you are expecting:)

3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most places won't let you return installed electrical parts so that pretty much makes the decision for you. Throw it the tool box.

5. I’ll keep the old one for a spare,
    So many times the definitive step in trouble shooting is substitute was a known good part.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

Is it a match for the original? I might try mounting it next to it if it is mounted on the firewall, put a cap over the coil wire socket. I have mounted extra modules for my duraspark ignition just to have the safety factor.

7. squirrel

squirrel

depends how the car looks with the new one in place, compared to how it looks with the old one in place. Because it's all about appearances (when it would work, either way)

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

In this time of crappy parts (china) it can't hurt to have extras of all replaceable components.....

9. I did that with a solenoid recently, the used good one I carry around.