Register now to get rid of these ads!

All aluminum body Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Floater03, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

A friend e-mailed these to me,anyone know more info?
    Walt Austin built out of Jim Humes shop Bellingham,Wa.
    Check out the polished flames.

Attached Files:

2. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

This has been floating abound for years. This car was built from Kirkhan a Polish company who makes Alum Willys and Cobras http://www.cartype.com/pages/3416/kirkham

Jim Hume who is a metal master did all the fit and finish. Car was at 2012 GNRS was this was verified by a few who spoke with Walt.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Kirkham is a U.S. company. The the aluminum body components and some other items for the cars they build are made in Poland to their specs. Other fabrication and machining are done in the U.S., including in their own facility.

If I remember correctly, the original customer for that car lost interest or ran out of money. After that I don't know what happened with the cars ownership.

4. There is a aluminum body Willys for sale in the Goodguy's magazine classifieds this month. HRP

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I believe there is at least two aluminum Willys, so it may or may not be the same car.

6. jpm49c

jpm49c

Salt Flats Speed Shop in Utah hand built one. It was for sale. He is on the HAMB and had some pictures posted

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. jpm49c

jpm49c

8. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Saw that too HRP, not sure about this one,someone sent pics to me with no time frame

9. There were more than 2 shops building them.
    So I expect there are more than 2 cars.

10. Saw it at Goodguys in Washington last summer. Parked just across from me in the showplex. Incredible attention to detail.

11. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

12. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Completely diffrent cars. This car was only recently finished and built in Washington state. I examined it closely at the 2012 Goodguys show in Puyallup. Beautiful car and a incredible example of what a craftsman / artist can create from flat sheet of metal.

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

14. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Old thread, but there is an aluminum Willys in Hotrod magazine this month. It does not say where the body came from. Does anyone know if it is Kirkham

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Quite awhile back there was a young guy in a metalworking class who was building an all aluminum willy's body by hand. cant remember where. Lippy

16. 5window

5window

There's an article about an aluminum body Willys in the June issue of HOTROD

17. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Lippy, I seem to remember Lazze working on one in a number of his classes.

uncle buck likes this.