Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HOME MADE CENTER CAPs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Apr 4, 2020.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Just like the title.Lets see picks of center caps that you have made/fabricated for your wheels. Not the standard rally wheel cap. Adapting different cap, or making a cap with a 2 or 3 bar spinner to a wheel/rim that it didn't grow there.Putting a ford cap on chevy wheel or the other way around. Anyone ever done that.
    I called myself searching so if this has been covered before delete it.
    Stay safe/healthy!

jnaki and Just Gary like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am interested to see what this thread turns up . A bit of tech info. would be a good thing as well .

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. earlymopar

earlymopar

My effort, 33'-34' Ford cap on 15" x 8" wheel for my Dodge pickup. I started with Wheel Vintiques Series 09 ("California Smoothie") wheels that were only made for a couple of years. I machined adapters to fit the Ford hubcap to the hubcap I.D. on the wheel and then used O-rings to retain the hubcaps (I have always disliked the damage that spring clips do to painted steel wheels)

- EM

CIMG1168 (3).JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Thats what i'm looking for. And please a little info and how you did it please.
    BE SAFE/HEALTHY.

5. Great topic. :cool:

Not precisely what you're looking for, but I made 1.25" diameter aluminum plates to cover the offensively modern logos on my project's center caps.:rolleyes:
    20190525_172457_HDR(1)(1).jpg

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

7. I have another guys take on some early Buick wires....and maybe mine on my Studie.......

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Back in college, I had to take an Art Metal class as an elective to finally fill up my elective credits for graduation. The previous semester, I took an Advanced Photography Class and that was fun. Moon disc full size, down to small plate, to a smaller center hubcap, and finally, to a curved lip ashtray, was my final project result.

I wanted to make a normal size Moon Disc replica on the lathe, as it was a directed project as part of the class grade. The disc was going to be hung on our apartment wall as a decoration.

On the classroom workshop lathe, mistakes were made and the full size Moon Disc plate got down to the size of two hands in diameter. It was too small for a real Moon Hubcap Disc. But, the lab assistant showed me how to make a small bowl and use the mini Moon hubcap as a lid. That project gave me an “A”, after I used an acid etching to create a pattern on the bowl and lid to match. The key was the wooden shape that is spinning on the lathe. Good shape, good results, if you are not in a hurry.

The next project was to refine the original Moon Disc flat plate as a wall hanging display. While the disc and the angled shaping tool got together, one tiny flinch and the smooth surface did a gouge that could not be fixed. So, ended my project with shaping a flat aluminum plate down to a small curved disc.

Jnaki
    Making a small hubcap in this process would add in a rolled edge for the final design to grab on to those wheel nubs. Good luck...YRMV

upload_2020-4-22_4-3-29.png
    pro version:
    upload_2020-4-22_4-4-0.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...of-tooling-is-required.1126813/#post-12830967
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/air-cleaner-debate.1170578/#post-13321247

upload_2020-4-22_4-12-18.png
    Small Moon Disc in Texas...

Eddie Hill at Bakersfield 1960
    upload_2020-4-22_4-13-3.png Bakersfield 1960 Smokers March Meet #2

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  9. bedwards

bedwards

Not center caps but making spinners that were missing from the wheel covers. These were made 5 years ago out of aluminum, polished and a clear coat applied before putting on the wheel covers. Would probably have never found original ones.

Just Gary, Hnstray and ffr1222k like this.
  10. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

In the 80s I couldn’t find anything I liked so I made a set of these. IMG_0349.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Just Gary and quick85 like this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Reading the post above about making moon discs reminds me of when I had my students
    actually do metal spinning on the lathe. It was actually easier to do on the metal lathe
    after modifying the compound rest. Sad that today's students are missing out on so much
    and that many of today's teachers know so little.

jnaki and dana barlow like this.
  12. tim troutman

tim troutman

I made a pair of these at least 15 years ago for a pair of ET 5 spokes still have never used them. still need a sand and polish. traced out a plastic cap base and cut out on a band saw 0501201818.jpg 0501201818a.jpg then sanded to shape

quick85, Just Gary and Jim Bouchard like this.
  13. A Boner

A Boner

Painted the caps on my coupe to match the color of the 5 spokes.....like the non-shiny look!

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I would have to disagree with your last statement. Teachers today know quite a lot in different areas and are much more "professional" as well. Now they may not know a lot about things that were taught in the past but even the teachers you and I had going to school did not know as much about what was taught in a bygone age.

The world is now a computer/technological one and that is what today's students are being prepared for...

quick85 and Just Gary like this.
  15. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Tina drags.jpg Here they are on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Did a little trickery on the mounting clips to fit 34 Ford caps on my early 50s Chrysler wheels. 34falleaves10_18.jpg

quick85 and Just Gary like this.