Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31’ 5 window rear leaf spring?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gordon Reed, May 2, 2020.

1. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

Hello everyone! I just bought this ford model a hot rod project. It has a riley automotive, rear Z and front sweep frame, with a mount in the back for a leaf spring. I am going to be using a ford 8 inch rear end. I have brackets that were included in the purchasing of the car, that are apart of the “triangulated four link kit” sold on speedway motors. i am curious what size leaf spring i should use for this setup? I know that speedway sells the super slide leaf springs, but i don’t know if the mount on the frame supports a buggy spring, or a spring that would be used on a model a front axle. i will attach images of the mount on the frame for a spring, as well as the bracket that’s included for the “triangulated four link”. Thanks guys! lp_image.JPG lp_image.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like the frame mount is rather flat, so it was probably intended for a 40 Ford style spring. Measure how much space is between the bolts and it may give you a clue how wide a spring you can use. Maybe 2.5", maybe 2.25". Not the length.

The axle brackets look like they would be intended for coil over shocks if they are heavy enough. Otherwise just for regular shocks. Won't work for mounting a cross spring.

I recommend getting a Pete & Jakes catalog and looking at the different components and tech advice it includes.

3. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

Oh okay, cool to know. Do you think pete and jakes would have some sort of weld on mount for the top side of a coil over?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pictured rear spring mount is typical for using a '40 Ford front spring on the rear. Usually a cross spring and a triangulated four link do not play well together, but has been done on a light car. I would suggest that you pick a direction for the rear suspension and go with it. The cross spring with wishbones would be the traditional route. If you want to go the coil over route there are no shortage of places to get the parts. But as mentioned, coil over mounts are more robust than shock mounts. If you want to look at typical options, Paul Horton's Welder Series has a lot to look at.

5. Why not go to their website and look at everything they have...including tech sheets.;)