Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where to mount '26 Ford on '29 Frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chopt49, May 2, 2020.

1. chopt49

chopt49

Looking to locate the '26 roadster body on my '29 A frame. Is there an aprox location for where the firewall goes on the A frame? I need to modify the rear spring perch location before I place body as I am using a '36 banjo rear and the A spring in now behind the axle as a-posed to the top of axle. I want to get the rear tire placed in the right place. So I will use the location to determine wheelbase.

I will be using a '48 Flathead V8 and form Tardel's book I know where to place front engine mounts. Is it best to base off the rear of the engine to firewall?

I searched but came up empty.

Thanks

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Found these via Google
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chopt49 and dana barlow like this.
  3. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

To make life simple, I would start with the engine location and work backwards. Try to stay within the stock wheel base +/- a couple inches so things don't look weird. You're on the right track. I would set the motor in place, then place the body behind it and move things around until they look good. As you said, the center of the rear wheelwell will determine rear axle centerline.

ted kovacs, chopt49, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an ancient thread but scroll down to post 12. Jetmek nailed it as far as getting everything in the right spot. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-27-t-roadsters-on-model-a-frames-photo-thread.265824/
    Post 65 by Paul Hebert on page 3 shows that car an another nifty one without the photobucket watermark. then scroll on down the page past Squablow's nifty 27 front half of a tub with an early turtle deck on an A frame (saving those photos) on down to post 69 Where Paul's roadster is. I've got a photo or two of that one in my billetroof coverage on Photobucket. Then over to page 4 and post 101 where Woodsie posted some good shots of his. I saw that car at deuce days last year. He had been doing some work to it.

Maroon 27 at Deuce days..jpg
    shot from the front here. https://robertdavison.smugmug.com/Deuce-Days-Victoria-BC-2019/i-WXBGZHM/A

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Budget36, chopt49 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

There is a hole on the rear spring crossmember that lines up with the T body. One on each end of the member. I just bolted it there and made mounts for the fronts. Centers the rear wheel.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  6. What Mister Monkey said. Worked for me on both the Tourer and the Coupe.

7. chopt49

chopt49

well I just went ahead and mocked up suspension and placed body on.

I used Inked Monkey's idea and well I have some cutting to do, I even mocked up the Flatty... feels good to see it looking like a hot rod.

BZZDiP9KRRW%MRJxkcKysA.jpg

murf 32 likes this.
  8. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Simply put, put it where it looks good. I’d give yourself about a thumbs worth of room from the fire wall to motor. Over all though just line up the rear tire with the wheel well please. Nothing looks worse than a rear tire outa place.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I figure one of the reasons for doing this swap is to gain a longer engine bay.
    So if you do as Mr Monkey says that is what you will end up with.
    What engine are you intending to use???

10. Both the A body and the T body have body bolts on the centreline of the rear crossmember. They’re very slightly a different distance apart but I fixed mine down with a 5/16” bolt each side and clearanced through to 3/8” once all the other body bolts were sorted. It puts the wheel central in the arch with a spring over axle.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    irishsteve likes this.
  11. chopt49

chopt49

I am using a '47 Merc flathead. you can see it now "resting" in its approximate location.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Sure passes the eye test,
    but I need to get back 20- 30 feet to see if I like the proportion... just me...

14. chopt49

chopt49

photo update on the difference I will need to stretch the A frame - Looks like 7 1/2" maybe 7 3/4"
    I measured wheelbase as it sits mocked up - I am 1/4" off stock Model 103 1/2"

tE2cE0+2QjyIh2CE9eMunQ.jpg vtSTYD0BTDeCv7yU3FDqOQ.jpg FzQwOLJKTxuQtiBzUljQjA.jpg 2GGeXYIoRjiev0Bsv+cgig.jpg pxlz70UcTly%gp9j5kX0DQ.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2020