Register now to get rid of these ads!

Made my own cast alloy nailhead valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carb-Otto, Nov 15, 2006.

1. This is too good to be missed BTTT.

2. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Hey!!

Sweet. I'm really revved up now man.

Thanks for the link dude.

And a BIG BTTT for a post that needs to be saved somewhere!!!

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

F@CK YEAH DADDY...THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

Simply awesome and nice finish work...PLEASE make them for sbc too..lol

4. flatoz

flatoz

been watching this from the start, cool valve covers, and a great thread.

5. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Great idea and post!

6. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

that is genius

7. I use a propane burner and it works fine.Crucible is made from exhaust pipe. I use a slip on handle on a flat wing to handle and pour. I am just beginning. I have no trouble casting in steel molds but sand is a real begger for me. I am going to try again may sat.
    Trying to cast some 426 Wedge badges i designed. (cause i am tired of people telling me my engine is a 440 because the car model is a 440 series. Wish i had a friend nearby who had done some. i have a friend who is a retired denturist who still does a bit at home. i wonder if he would be the guy to ask? Any tips would be put to use. I dont want to get the local foundry to do them. I want to learn this of possible.
    Those are some awesome valve covers
    Don

8. junkmonger

junkmonger

Cool thread!

I've been working on a similar project for some time, but still cannot find a reasonably priced foundry. I'm hoping I don't have to build my own small foundry, 'cause I really don't have the time. Once it's done though, I'll be happy to post a tech how-to on the whole process.

If anyone knows of a reasonably priced foundry in the St Louis or Indianapolis area, let me know...
    Mike

9. rixrex

rixrex

Beautiful....works of art....It seems there are several orders already, me included..on my 425 I run an old set of aluminum finned covers that say Riviera in the center, yes they are hard to find, they came on Gran Sports only.....rixrex

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Please post a pic of those Riviera valve covers! I've never seen a set that said Riveria, only the more common finned covers that have "BUICK" cast into them. I'd very much like to see those, and get the factory casting/part numbers from the inside.

-Brad

11. Austin Spencer

Austin Spencer
    from Las Vegas

12. Tore

Tore

Your the boss !!!

13. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

Man, you guys in Scandinavia are awesome. Seems like everywhere I go I run into someone from Finland, in particular, doing cool things with Buicks. Check out this guys site:

http://gamma.nic.fi/~marlin/Rmaster.htm.

Gary

Gary

14. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Thank you everyone for your comments! It is always good to hear that people know something about Finland. Yes, it's cold in here, and yes, we kicked Russians ass on WW II...
    Still working on valley cover and about 1957 other projects... But I'll post pics when it's ready.

15. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

Great job, and let us know when you are selling the rest!

16. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Well just to dig up some craftsmanship, as I was reading this and noticed the date from 2006, I seen the age of the member and realized he was only about a year older than me.
    I then thought "holy cow" in 2006 I was only 25 and more worried about bars and women then honing my skills. Geeze was I a slacker. I can only imagine what this members skills are with 15 years of additional experience added.
    By the way was any of those 1957 projects completed?

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. fordor41

fordor41

A buddy of mine built a Olds alum 215 and wanted alum valve covers. He bought two blocks of alum and machined out 2 valve covers. After they were done I asked him why he didn't just buy a couple valve covers. He said "they make alum covers for this engine?"

18. Cool old thread. I did something similar. Wanted a 4bbl isolated, equal length runner manifold for the 230/260 series Chevy straight 6. Required putting Devcon liquid steel dividers in the Siamese ports, then making a pattern forb the aluminum manifold casting. Came out pretty nice, Had a local small foundry who did the casting, not very expensive. Carved the pattern in mahogany, made a plaster cast of that, lined the female cast runners with 1/4" clay then cast the runner patterns in plaster. Finally made runner molds from fiberglass for forming the sand cores. Made a fiberglass match plate to help make cope and drag.

P8150026.JPG P8150025.JPG manifold 1.JPG manifold 2.JPG manifold 3.jpg manifold 4.JPG manifold 5.JPG manifold 6.JPG manifold 7.JPG manifold 8.JPG manifold 9.JPG manifold 10.jpg manifold 11.jpg manifold 12.jpg Engine closeup..JPG pontiac_3..JPG

JUSTIN PERSINGER and pitman like this.