Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Power Steering

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Christer Lindström, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Hi,

I would like to convert my 1930 Ford AA Truck with Power Steering.

I have installed a pump already and need a suitable Power Steering Box. I’m looking for something that will fit nicely. I have no problem to fabricate brackets and do machine work if necessary. Any suggestion or input would be much appreciated.

Chris

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In most case's you'll need a matched set of pump an box,as some are not compatible with others.
    But none of that may be what you even need !

Sometimes the seaming need for power steering is; Do to messed up things done to a car by owners; Like putting tiny steering wheel on,for some wild idea of looks or a fat belly{that little wheel makes a car hard to steer. Or tires an rims been added that are not what front end was designed for.{tire too big or too low PSI,an many times a new rim that has the wrong out set giving high scrub or too wide for steering steering design. Other things that also make hard steering are;Bad adjustments to steering box,or caster too high a number,or steering arm has been mod. to other then stock size. Fact is many think there car steers bad,do to it's a old design,when it's really that the design was messed up by some one long after car was built.

BJR, Truck64, 66gmc and 1 other person like this.
  3. She's completely original :) Bild 8.jpeg

Jeff34, sevenhills1952 and fiftyv8 like this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Probably the easiest way would be an electric assist that is inserted in the steering column but you are probably running 6volts.

sunbeam likes this.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I had a 1967 GMC C15 pickup and that had a pretty useable power steering ram set up (maybe known as power assist) that was pretty simple and easy.
    If you follow that same style of steering box into later years, I am sure you will find there is a power version of that box around as well.

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Smallest oem power gear big enough is probably the 605 round top gear.

If room for the gear isn't a problem then go with a 800 series gear.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Christer, your truck is showing a Swedish plate, I guess EZpowersteering.nl may have what you need. The make electric ps conversions for vintage cars and trucks . I friends got a kit from them and he was very pleased.

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I agree with everything dana barlow said about needing power steering. But sometimes the old shoulders need some help. I recently converted my T coupe to power steering and I absolutely love it. My T is far from stock though.
    As far as electric assist power steering, I have EPS in another car. It's great, but there is just no place to hide it well on an "A".
    To convert that 30 AA, I think you would have to convert to cross steer. I know of no conventional way to make power steering with a side steer set up. I used a CPP 400 power steering box in my T. My car is a hot rod so things went where I needed them to be. To convert that stock AA is going to take work from the steering column to the right front steering arm, and the LF frame is going to need boxed at least at the steering box mounting position. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it involves a lot more than just mounting a steering box and pump. And yes, the pump and box need matched. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    camer2 and firstinsteele like this.
  9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Man...that nice, completely original, I wouldn't change a thing!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Truck64 likes this.
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Electric PS maybe an issue if you are still running 6 volt and generator etc, that could be a weak link.
    Let us know what you decide and maybe do a project thread for us to enjoy...

11. dwollam

dwollam

Maybe just convert to an F1 or F100 steering box? Much improvement and still looks pretty stock.

Dave

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It is true a lot of people drag something out o' the weeds, freshen up the engine, though complain about hard steering and poor braking. Grease gun is your friend.

13. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Maybe jack it up both sides just so wheels off the ground. Then see if it steers hard. Maybe it's simple, steering box adjusted too tight, needs grease, etc. Tire pressure.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

14. Mimilan

Mimilan

Use a power steering ram and leave the steering box as-is.
    But don't use the old style with the "pindle valve" on the ram or your truck will be weaving all over the road.

What you need is a "Servo" in the column [like sprint cars use]
    This has the torsion bar valving in it, to control the ram.

Doing it properly will cost $$$$

Sweet manufacturing make them

power steering servo.PNG

fiftyv8 likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the side of the electric conversion, there have been a lot of improvements lately. The best one in my opinion is the speed controller on the driveline/trans so you get 35% assist at a standstill and none at freeway speed.

Other plusses include no reservoir, no pump, no hoses, no brackets, no bulky steering box.

Down side, it aint traditional and hard to hide, most of them are designed to work only with manual rack and pinion boxes, they are not cheap, they require 12 volts, relay, controller and wiring know-how.

16. birdman1

birdman1

Charlyn makes p/s units for farm tractors. All that was done was cut a section out of the steering shaft(enough to install the steering motor), then hook up the pressure and return hoses. The motor is about a foot long, so is easy to mount. This is for Farmall h andm, John Deere a and b. Very good units, they sold a million of them.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am sure that these inline power steering units work well, but if Christer Lindstrom wants to keep his AA truck pretty stock, then he wont want to be cutting up is steering column which also houses his hand lever engine controls and horn.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would call Borgenson..A 605 box and cross steering would be a dream; but remember that the steering will probably be much quicker but low effort!

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Power Steering box from a Toyota 4x4 p/u with a solid front axle.

Mimilan likes this.
  20. nobby

nobby

up to 1984 mk3 ford transit van with beam axle - twin rear wheels

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

How about a couple of pic's of your pump installed so we can see a bit more.
    Am I correct in assuming when you say that it is a stock AA that you want to keep it that way?
    If so then a ram attached to the chassis and the push arm hooked up to your pump should be as much power for what you want especially since your speeds will be slow.
    If the amount of power is not quite right there are inline valves available to adjust or proportion to your needs.
    I used a canteen style pump from a Chevy and hooked it upto my Dodge power rack and it worked a treat...

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I know it’s not HAMB friendly , but it’s damn easy and works slick . Pre 85 Toyota 4x4 power steering box and aftermarket pitman arm . Bracket is super easy to fab . I used one for 70 plus miles and it’s still gettin the job done .

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. Wow, what a fabulous response from all of you :)

My AA is fully restored and the steering box and all suspension and steering components are rebuilt. When I jack it up, I can turn (not rotate)(yes that too) the front wheels easily and the steering wheel spins. It's definitely lubricated, so there are no problems with the truck being old and stuck.

I have desided to install a F100 steering box. The worm and roller type will give less friction and 18:1 ratio over 15:1(I hope those numbers are correct) will probably be enough to make me happy. If not, I will instal an electric PS under the dash later.

Again, thank you all!

24. nobby

nobby

what you really mean is
    1. I want a smaller steering wheel
    2. I want self cancelling turn signals
    3. I want to quicken the steering to one and a quarter turns each way lock to lock
    4. I want power assistance
    5. I want to lessen the road noise by using a harmonic damper

you simply have to go cross steer, rather than push pull.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  25. jimvette59

jimvette59

I think you are in for a lot of work. Why ruin two original cars. Can't you move the seat ? The steering wheel was about ten inches from me in 1964 now it hits my gut. I don't know how a car can shrink.
    JMHO. Still crazy after all these years ?