Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Aero-Engined Vintage Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteveLines, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Curtiss Krit Strip down and Engine Update

2. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

looks tickety-boo ?

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Love watching this car come together.

4. Chaps - I'm looking at fitting a modest powered vintage aero engine into a vintage frame. OX5, 80hp @1400 rpm giving circa 300 ft-lb, 330NM torque at the flywheel. Same engine as many in this thread. Does anyone have a steer on what sort of the driveline is commonly used flywheel/clutch/gearbox. It's likely I'll only need the clutch for first gear/starting/reverse. Gearbox output feeds into a differential rather than chain drive. Any suggestions welcome?

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB Chris, looks like you have a fine stable of cars, nice to see a Bug in something other than blue. Bob

Outback likes this.
  6. Thanks for the reply, full disclosure - Bug's not real, as in, not original. It's a few original parts, dimensionally accuarate BUT a pal of mine helped me make it from scratch. Call me a philistine or perhaps a cheapscate. That's the one I wanted to fit the aero engine in to, will have to stretch the chassis a bit. We sometimes just do things just because we can. The Christmas elf on my knee in the photo is my youngest son, I indoctronated him at an early age!

Outback and mrspeedyt like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Chris, I'd like to see some closeup photos of the Bug, sure looks close to right in that photo. Bob

9. Hope this helps. I aged the paint a bit to make it look right.

Attached Files:

• Bug.jpg
      Bug.jpg
      File size:
      177.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

FAEBCA7B-96F4-461D-92EA-3F9EFE6958FB.jpeg BA4A05CA-AC92-4182-B636-25BF1C934D91.jpeg
    First time on the road

elgringo71, James D, Outback and 9 others like this.
  11. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Rolf!
    Does it seem that you made the best from this Coronavirus times?

You finished your magnificent creation of low-flying automobile! It is beautiful and for the sure, it is a mechanical masterpiece. Did I see registration plates on it? Is it road-legal as original oldtimer in Swiss? Could it be accepted by VSCC in GB?

Would it ever be ready for joy-rides for old and crazy enthusiasts, from Bern? (the Spring of 2021?)

All the best for you and your family in so difficult and dangerous times...

Zoran & Olga

Outback and Rolfzoller like this.
  12. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Lean back and enjoy !

13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Wow, clutch and brakes outside the cockpit, no seat belt, reach over and pump your fuel pressure up

Ned Ludd likes this.
  14. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

12636A35-773A-43B8-A815-D25B4DAF94CC.jpeg E40A5E79-5B81-4AC1-BF7B-4D2A5C62232D.jpeg
    I just fixed the Brooklands aero screens combinated with the rear mirror

15. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Rolf!
    A long but wonderful adventure with your project - with a magnificent result!
    Enjoy in driving it, if possible at the first nice Spring days...

Regards, Zoran

Ziggster likes this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There used to be a turbine powered 32 Ford from the Tacoma, Washington area; I believe the turbine came from a helicopter. I saw it at a nostalgia event at Bremerton Raceway one year, mentioned it here, and someone posted a photo of it. Maybe they could again if they're still around? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. Ziggster

Ziggster

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

This one?
    [​IMG]
    https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/boeing-turbine-engine-lands-in-hot-rod

It would be surprising if there weren't other turbine-powered Deuces out there, as 250Cs get stuffed into lots of things, for example:
    [​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^If it is, it has undergone quite a transition over the years^^^. I want to say orange paint and aftermarket wheels. I imagine it's the same car, just been through different owners, and all have done something different to it. I mean, how many 32 ford roadsters, powered by a turbine engine, can there be in Washington State? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The Len Williams car, (ex Preston Tucker son's car) is still in the Lemay Marymount collection. Len was a good friend of mine and I rode in the car a several times. It only had 210 hp but maximum torque was at stall so it really got with it off the line.

Outback and 31Apickup like this.
  21. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

22. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

376D797E-3119-4562-82F3-C134D70AB2E1.jpeg
    the car is now road legal In Switzerland

elgringo71, Ziggster, James D and 8 others like this.
  23. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Rolf!
    Congratulations on so great success with a magnificent but complicated project!

As I understand, your Curtiss/Fraser-Nash could be used as a "normal" (meaning ordinary but modern) automobile, but also as an original old-timer, classic sport-special, one-off creation!

Therefore, besides being used for joy rides across Switzerland, it could be used in all old-timer events here, but also in Europe and especially important in VSSC races in the United Kingdom?

<no need for mudguards/fenders during use on streets and roads, the same as your great reconstruction of Salmson with the compressor?>
    --- ---
    As I know, except Curtiss engine and wheels that you bought, everything else was built by yourself and in cooperation with your friends? From rolling chassis up to complete body with many necessary and beautiful details...
    ---- ---
    I mentioned somewhere that I always love all of the old motorised vehicles:

• from English gigantic steam carriages built and used at the first decades of XIX century, followed by personal steam road-locomotives from some decades after,
    • after them - early gasoline automobiles, big and small (veterans), replaced by well designed and constructed automobiles from the first decades of XX century (Edwardian cars),
    • then, from between wars - big and small automobiles, cycle-cars included beside big luxurious giants (vintage cars), hot sport-cars and maybe some of the much younger...
    Well, my favourites: just behind aero-engines in automobiles, at the second place are double-engined automobiles and at the third place are automobiles with motorcycles engines... There are examples where all three variants are used in one combination, no matter if that was in cycle-cars, bigger sport-specials or veteran-vintage monsters...

It seems that your Curtiss/Fraser-Nash has all of such characteristics: V-8 aero-engine developed from Curtiss V-8 record-breaking motorcycle engine, developed from then mostly used V-twin motorcycle engines (not simple multiplication, but highly developed design)...
    --- ---
    I wish you many happy and jolly hours driving your masterpiece creation in many following years!

My very best regards,
    Zoran

Rolfzoller and Ned Ludd like this.
  24. big john d

big john d
    from ma

go to --- wright builds for air supremacy -------- periscope films has some grst films from the greatest generation worth a look

25. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Thank you Zoran,
    I can use now the Curtiss Frazer Nash as a normal car without mudguards and with no restrictions.
    The first registration date of the car is 1928 so they are checking the car according the regulations of 1928.
    I also received the “Veteraneneintrag” that means when I selling the car in the next six year the new owner must not get a new approval from the Strassenverkehrsamt,also the road tax is approximately 250 SFR. Instead of 2000Sfr. a year and I also have the possibility to drive up to six car with the same numberplate if they have the Veteraneneintrag.The only small disadvantage is that you are only allowed to drive maximum 2000 km per year.But it’s very difficult to get the Veteraneneintrag because every Kanton have there own regulation and in fact it depend on the expert who is checking the car.
    When I bought the engine I hade a lot of luck because the engine was removed from a car and I bought it with a V5.So it was not so difficult to prove the first road going ,also the chassis number was a correct Frazer Nash number.
    Looking forward to drive with you around the Sempachersee when you are visiting my place.

26. banjers

banjers

27. cfmvw

cfmvw

Torpedo Kid.jpg

Walter Baker with his Baker Electric Torpedo Kid in 1903.

Attached Files:

lurker mick, Outback and motoklas like this.
  28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

This is well worth the bump!

Ziggster likes this.
  29. "The Beast" is up for auction, since the owner sadly passed away recently. Hope it's not off topic....the motor is 1940s after all.

motoklas likes this.
  30. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

1936 Frazer Nash TT rep fitted with a 1935 Pobjoy Cataract 2835 cc 7 cylinder radial engine. 400917305_890021522682826_984557996273540862_n.jpg