Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical gps speedometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Apr 30, 2020.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

how does a gps speedometer hook up and work?

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

What's gps? Something from the 50's? :D

3. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

It works off of a GPS module that is mounted on your vehicle. That unit then runs to a GPS speedometer and usually just plugs into the back via an electrical connection. It then works by calculating your speed based on your location versus the satellites.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. swifty

swifty

I run one in my 32-5 window cause the 40 Ford one started making terrible screeching sounds and it is a major job to pull the dash to get the panel out. Spent $100 on a GPS one- you stick it on your windshield, plug 12 volts in and switch it on. Mine takes a fair time to find a suitable satellite then it's fine. Local rego authority here don't accept them as they don't work in tunnels.

kiwijeff likes this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Check out classic instruments sky drive GPS system.
    Easy to install on an electronic speedometer and easier to program.
    No drama for the programming either, quick and easy.

dana barlow and OFT like this.
  6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i just looked at youtube and found some videos. thanks for the replies.

firstinsteele likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New traditionalists.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Much like JUMBO shrimp?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe so :D

All I know is that I could just install a custom made o-ringed plug in the speedometer drive hole in my transmission and not have to deal with signal generators or speedometer cables.

Along with that there will be no effect in the operation or accuracy of my speedometer if I change tire size or swap the gears in my quick change.
    So why not :D

Tman, Cosmo50, firstinsteele and 2 others like this.
  10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I just looked a few up. Some with mechanical like sweep needles that didn't look too bad but they all had digital odometers. Not terrible but not something I would do.

You don't have a tach either? Correlate speed on your tach with a GPS on your phone. Or just use your phone to track speed.

11. I have one in my beater and they are a snap to program, my only complaint about the speedo is since I installed a interior the car is much quieter and then I noticed the speedometer clicks every tenth of a mile.

I talked to folks at Classic Instruments and I was told they would look at the gauge if I would remove it and send it to them, they would determine what the problem is and repair it if possible, the gauge is more than 30 years old.

I was old if it was a manufacturing defect it would be repair at no charge, you can't for a better company to do business with. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  12. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I was running one a few years ago in my 1959 F1. It worked well and I was told or read that you wire the GPS box hot all the time, then when you start up, there's no wait for satellites. Doesn't draw enough to drain battery, but I was driving my truck nearly every day. The only problem I had was with the speedometer (bought separately) itself. I was driving one day and the odometer reset itself. I sent it back and they exchanged it. Then that one decided to just quit one day. I really liked the speedometer and it matched the other guages, but didn't want to try a third so I got a different one. Four years later and haven't put it in yet, I have just been using a regular GPS. One of these days I'll finish my truck, don't drive it much anymore. I also have a cruise control for it, never finished installing it either, if I remember correctly it works off the GPS also. I too like to be traditional, but some things are nice to have and make life a little easier, ie. my Aod transmission, power disc brakes and power wipers. Ron

13. Guys, I have a GPS Speedometer from Speedhut. Almost 20,000 miles and 10 years. Super accurate, steady, comes "on" before I can get in the street. I installed it when I went from a 4.10 to a 3.36 rear end. I have no complaints. But then, I am not as traditional as some.

Ben

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

That's how the track you......

s55mercury66 and BigChief like this.
  15. I bought the receiver, works with my existing electronic speedometer. This was after fighting a glitch with the gauge sender. Works a treat as they say on Wheeler Dealers.

16. BigChief

BigChief

Free speedometer apps all over the place for your smartphone which already has a gps in it. If you're on a budget and/or keeping the busted speedo in the dash for looks just grab a phone holder for an instant speedo on the cheap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And that’s really smart considering that you Aussies obviously drive the majority of your trips through tunnels :rolleyes:

18. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I’m with Bigchief. I have a app on my IPhone that I use all time. All you have to do is down load the app and mount your phone and your in business.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app