Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford small block transmission help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FatfenderJ, Apr 30, 2020.

1. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

I am working on getting the parts ordered to install a T5 into my 32 to replace a C4. I am not a Ford engine expert, or even novice really, and the question came up when figuring out which flywheel to get how the engine is balanced. The guy I am working with said they can be neutral, 28ish, 50 something. This is what I found so obviously not neutral balance. Any idea how big this weight is? Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  3. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Block number

Attached Files:

4. squirrel

squirrel

1968 block. But that's the block....

5. Deuces

Deuces

6. squirrel

squirrel

question because I don't know, can you put a different crank in that block? Because that weight looks really big. But then, both the 28 and 50 look big. Maybe look at the damper, too?

here's a comparison.

weights.jpg

7. Get the part number from the flywheel when ya take it out. EZ lookup on the web. My $$ is on 28oz.
    If my ford memory is correct, the crank would have needed to be changed to warrant the later 50oz weighted parts for that older block.
    The harmonic balance part number will also help ya.
    And remember the starter needs to match the flywheel tooth count.

8. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Where is the number on the harmonic balancer?

9. squirrel

squirrel

early on the left, late on the right. Look to see if you can find a cast engineering number like the one on the block...it will start with a letter, C or D for the early one, E or higher for the later one. The Ford numbers work by decade and year, so C is 1960s, D is 1970s, E is 1980s. E0 is 1980, C8 is 1968, you get the idea. That's the first year that part was used.

damper.jpg

Deuces and FatfenderJ like this.
  10. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Its definitely a late harmonic balancer

11. squirrel

squirrel

then it's probably a later crank and 50 oz weight. Might want to double check the part numbers though, just to be sure.

LWEL9226 likes this.
  12. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

It is probably a 50oz rotating assembly in an early block.
    Although to me that seems bass ackwards.

IIRC the 28oz imbalance flexplates have holes where the 50oz are more oblong as shown in Jim's post above. Also I *thought* the 50oz flexplate also had the slots opposite the counterweight is located, to aid in balancing.

There are several types of 28oz imbalance dampers.
    Classic 3 bolt found on early221/260/289s.
    4 bolt found on the 302/351 and I *think* last year 289s.
    Some of the 28oz imbalance dampers also have the counter weights done differently.
    There is also a 28oz damper that doesn't have the large 1/4 pie shaped counter weight on the hub portion, hub is similar to the 50oz damper but the outer ring is shaved like the 50oz, just not as much material.
    [​IMG]
    Part numbers are key.
    If you can sneak a mirror so you can identify what rear main seal is being used that would also help in indicating what imbalance your crankshaft may be.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    squirrel likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected there might be a 28 oz damper with the weight at the perimeter.

14. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

I can't find a part number or the harmonic balancer. Is my best bet to pull out the transmission and look for the part number on the flex plate? Is there any easier way?

I try not to take things apart that run until I have all the new parts on hand. Time can get away from me.....

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd leave it alone if you very thing is working until next winter. I like you want all the parts but working in this direction it always tougher because of linkage and other things like a drive shaft, yoke, etc.

16. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

I have the transmission out and I'm still second guessing which weight I need. If I cut the weight off the flex plate and weigh it will this tell me definitely what the weight is? Assuming I dont damage it removing it.

I can't find any part numbers on the flex plate or the back of the crank.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would imagine that a shop that does engine balancing could check it [flywheel] for you.

18. IIRC, when Ford switched to the 50 oz balance because of the different crankshaft, they also switched to the one-piece rear main seal. This required slightly reducing the crankshaft flange diameter so the seal could be installed, so look at your crank flange. If the flange is the same size as the crank bore in the block, it's a 50 oz crankshaft. If it's larger, it's a 28 oz. Either crank will fit in the early block with no issues

You can also buy a flywheel with a removable balance weight that I'm assuming can be changed; 2019 PRW Catalog-web.pdf - Google Drive I'd suggest contacting PRW to verify that.

All automotive SBFs used a three-bolt damper through '69, the switch to the four-bolt was in '70. The three-bolt version did live on however in marine applications, extending into the 50 oz era but it's unlikely you'll run into one of those. As was pointed out, Ford did machine these different ways depending on year/application so checking part numbers is the only definitive way to verify balance factor in some cases.

The 50 oz crank does have a small performance advantage in that it's about 7 lbs lighter than the 28 oz version so the motor can rev faster/easier.

FatfenderJ likes this.
  19. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

20201208_062129.jpg 20201208_061228.jpg 20201208_061001.jpg It does have a 3 bolt balancer. I went to the local machine shop and transmission shop and they couldn't help me. I cut the weight off and it weighs about 5 oz so no help there.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't know anything about Fords, but doesn't the crankshaft have a specific bolt pattern that only accepts the correct flywheel? It would seem logical that it was made so someone couldn't put the wrong flywheel on it. If so, maybe measuring the bolt pattern would solve the problem. Also, does the existing flex plate have a part number on it?

21. Nope.
    Same bolt pattern.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  22. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Is it worth pulling the balancer off to see if there is a part number on it?

23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yet another reason to like GM...............:p

24. That's a 28oz damper, no question. Ford did make a three-bolt 50oz version later for marine use, but it had a locating flange for the pulley that has to be machined off to use the automotive pulley. Yours doesn't appear to have been machined.

FatfenderJ likes this.
  25. Don’t mix up a dampner or flywheel for a 400 with other SBCs

26. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

If you take the effort to drop the pan, the crank will have a number on the first counterweight.
    1M is 221-289
    2M and 2MA are 28 oz-in 302
    2MAE is 50 oz-in 5.0
    interchange5.gif

FatfenderJ likes this.