Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1941 Ford Pickup Refresh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by agshelby, Apr 21, 2020.

1. agshelby

agshelby

I've had this truck about 3.5 years. I picked this up on a trade and had intended for it to be my light duty work truck around the house. It has a very clean body with no rust or damage and it has never been off the frame. It did run and drive fine but I was tempted with the opportunity of a rebuilt 8BA shortblock with a mercury crank - with all of the machine work done.

So ....

I sold the existing flathead to a kid building a model A and tore into the truck. One thing led to another (brakes, shocks, reversed eye spring, rebuilt transmission) and then when I started the rear brakes I figured that I might as well have the Columbia looked into.

Here I am 2 years later and the truck is finally back on the road. Since I am stuck @ home with the quarantine I thought that I would do a rebuild thread, starting with the now and then re-winding and showing what I encountered with the build. There were not any bad surprises - just minor issues that I had to work around and lots of interruptions due to life.

Here is a list of what was done:

• New wiring harness
    • 39 Style Headlights
    • F-150 Front Discs w/chevy calipers
    • Reverse Eye Front Spring
    • 60s mustang master cylinder
    • Rebuilt original transmission (Rex Rods)
    • Refreshed Columbia 2-speed (Rancho Deluxe)
    • Assembled/Finished Flathead (Rex Rods, I will share specs when I get to that part)
    • Fenton Headers with straight pipe exhaust (Exhaust by Todd Tatro - he is opening a new shop @ his house called Crazy V8 Garage)
    • Rear sway bar
    • Posey Super Slider Rear Spring
    • Custom Pinstriping by Nuzy Originals
    • New Tube Shocks. The truck already had the dealer accessory brackets for tube shocks
    • 12v conversion
    • Powermaster Alternator
    • Powermaster high-torque starter
    • Fenton cast iron headers
    • Isky 400Jr Cam
    • Mercury Crank

The only bodywork needed was a passenger side inner fender due to battery leakage and I still need to make a cover for the master cylinder access. Sometime in the trucks history a hole was hacked out and covered with sheet metal and tar, so I just elongated it for now to access the larger mustang master cylinder.

I think that is about it - I'm sure that there will be a few things triggered in my memory as I go through my photos.

It's almost done - but I still need to finish up the 12v conversion, adjust the clutch and gas pedal, and make a tow hitch.

Anyways - here is the first installment:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Be careful, Ryan might make you an offer that you can't refuse! Nice looking hauler.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Love it! Time well spent and looks worth the wait.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - ya done good

6. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a fine looking truck! Nice work on the flatty!

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

very nice looking 41 with 39 headlights

9. Nice truck, I like it.

Petejoe likes this.
  10. One beautiful pickup! Ford nailed it with that body style...

11. agshelby

agshelby

The 39-40 ford styling is my favorite (plus the 41 trucks). However, the sealed beam headlight and bulky housing that came out in ‘40 always looked like an afterthought to me.

I used a reproduction ‘39 headlight assembly with a halogen headlight bulb that plugs into the stock harness. The buckets came in black and I repainted the inside to an ivory white (an idea from a friend based upon early VWs).

It’s a quick, easy project that makes the truck look much better. The halogen 12v lights are much better than the original 6v candles, too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. WOW!!
    That is NICE!
    Hope mine will get to that stage one day.

agshelby likes this.
  13. agshelby

agshelby

Pinstripes & Logo

I have no intention of ever painting the truck. It is faded into 3 different shades, it's scratched and chipped - but no body damage and absolutely rust free. I like the weathered look and don't want to have to polish or worry about scratches.

My favorite hot rod era is the late 50s - early 60s. In that theme, I had my friend Aaron @nunzyoriginals design some stripes for the truck. I’m not normally a fan of fake patina, but this came out perfect. He nailed the style and was able to match the fading and random pain chips perfectly. He has perfected his technique and the work is flawless.

The door logo is a tribute to my Dad - who got me into antique cars from a very early age.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Hotrodmyk, catdad49, nunattax and 5 others like this.
  14. the-rodster

the-rodster

Very cool.

I have it's stepbrother...

IMG_7369.jpg

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Excellent. You got it just right.
    Don't go overboard.

16. agshelby

agshelby

I’m going to add a tonneau cover and matching spare cover in solid black - but no other cosmetic changes planned.

catdad49 and 40FORDPU like this.
  17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Great idea. You don't want to turn it into a museum piece that no one can touch.

JIM

18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice truck. I say continue with the build thread and I hope you have plenty of pictures. If you have pictures of the bottom of the cab, I'd love to see them. Mine is like a jigsaw puzzle.

19. agshelby

agshelby

I don’t have any great photos of the cab bottom. There are some of the exhaust that show parts but I didn’t focus on the cab.

Brakes

I drive this truck regularly and wanted to have it brake reliably in city traffic.

I went with f150 front discs with Chevy calipers (the caliper brackets are from from speedway) up front, while the rear are the Lincoln style self energizing type.

Master cylinder is a 60s mustang and I added In speedway prop valve and residual valves to round out the install.

I also put in new e-brake cables along with the correct cable guides and rubber bushings along the wishbones.

Before:

The truck had the dealer ad-on shock mounts which were on the incorrect sides. They are stamped "L" and "R" on the backside of each mounting bracket.

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Rear

[​IMG]

Master Cylinder

You can see the underside condition in this photo. I have not cleaned the body or frame.

My master cylinder access was hacked up at some point and I elongated it for the new master cylinder. I am going to put in a better cover and seal it later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  20. agshelby

agshelby

My truck came with an original Columbia. It worked, but the cables were very hard to move and the controls were in terrible shape.

When I was doing the rear suspension I decided to have Ben Thomas @ranchodeluxe go through the differential.

Once he tore into it he found that it was in excellent shape and had already been rebuilt and upgraded (bullet-proofed). He replaced all seals, cleaned it up, and rebuilt the vacuum control on the rear axle.

I took apart the speedo switching unit and cleaned it out, repacking it with the John Deer Cornhead grease. The gears were in perfect shape and it works fine. I also cleaned and rebuilt the vacuum unit at the engine bay.

Before

[​IMG]

Innards

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Speedometer switch

[​IMG]

Caked grease

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Vacuum control

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Sliding it in:

[​IMG]

21. studebaker46

studebaker46

Great truck my friend the flatty sounds perfect. where may I ask did you get the repo 39 headlights. Again great job. Tom

22. agshelby

agshelby

Thanks - I am really happy with how the truck is coming together. The sound is a bit off in that video due to an echo off of my house, but it does sound great in person. It's hard to capture good sound quality with a phone recording.

I think that I got the buckets from CG Ford parts, but I am not 100% certain. It was been about 3 years ago and my memory is fuzzy on the source.

catdad49 likes this.
  23. the-rodster

the-rodster

IMG_4253.JPG

catdad49, nunattax and olscrounger like this.
  24. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Your truck is coming out really cool. Looked like great bones to start with. Keep up the great work!

agshelby likes this.
  25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool truck and love the upgrades!

agshelby likes this.
  26. agshelby

agshelby

Some unusual mods from the original owner that help make this truck a little cooler:

The bed rails are made out of heavy pipe and expertly blended in:

Adjustments.JPG

The rear pan, with ‘39 tail lights used as turn signals:

IMG_5142.JPG

The truck has an oversized radiator which is about 6” longer than stock.
    There is a home made chin pan to cover the extra length.

To make up for the extra length it has copper lower pipes instead of hoses. They were painted black. I stripped the paint and clear coated them.

I retained this stuff as part of the history and character of the truck.

IMG_3314.JPG 58161512862__5FD1E55F-064D-4FF0-AC65-27905C5B7DF3.JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    catdad49 and Shadow Creek like this.
  27. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

Sweet...………………..

28. agshelby

agshelby

Wiring is all done, but I’m Still looking for a good quality headlight switch. I’ve had two reproduction ones fall apart. The 41 is a different switch than the 40 and harder to find. Daytime driving for now -

[​IMG]

29. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great looking truck keeping original look. Not to 1941 but always hated chain tail gate holders I would be tempted to use more modern rubber plastic covered cable hiding inside under cover you plan on

30. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida