Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help me ID this rear axle - update trying to clean rusty axles without sandblasting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Thanks for all the information, I'll put it to use Monday. HRP

2. Unfortunately, due to cleaning up this past Mondays storm damage I haven't had the chance to use any of the information offered in this thread, hopefully I will finish all the clean up this weekend, there is always next Monday! HRP

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Have you figured it out.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. John, I haven't had time to work in the garage, I have cleaned up about 95% of the storm damage from last weekend and hope to wrap it up Monday & Tuesday barring any damage tonight and tomorrow with the storm following the same path as last weekend. HRP

5. Since my compressor has quit working and I am not able to sand blast them in the cabinet I am trying to figure out how best to clean up the rusty axles, Before I got the rear end the axles had been pulled and for some unknown reason by the previous owner and left both of them outside but stored the axle housing inside.

The axle & the splines have a lot of surface rust and I don't want to damage anything by installing them in the housing, I was going to do this to try and figure out what ratio I have.

Know any back yard way of cleaning up the splines without sandblasting? HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  6. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

7. squirrel

squirrel

sandpaper and wire brush will probably get off most of the loose rust from the part that goes into the housing, with not too much work. then wipe with some type of oily/solventy stuff to get the rest of the loose stuff off.

Desoto291Hemi and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

White vinegar.

HOTRODPRIMER and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. I am going to clean some smaller pieces in a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid .
    I was gonna put in a gallon of white vinegar,,,,,,should I dilute it any with water?
    Maybe 50-50 diluted,,,,?

Tommy

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Citric acid dip and they would look like new,barring any damage.
    You wouldn’t be disappointed.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. I believe that off the shelf vinegar is already diluted to 5%. Regardless, I have used it right out of the bottle with good results. Next time around I am going to try the citric acid trick as it appears to work better.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Citric acid is bad for the bearings, press them off first and save to match up new ones. Don't forget to neutralize the acid after the dip. Paint everything after less the splines and bearing press surfaces.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

Early 8" 3rd's were fewer webbing,but 390 Fairlane would be 9",usually the rule of thumb was any v8 engine 351 ci or larger got 9" or 9 3/8" rear smaller got 8" rear there are exceptions but the large majority follow this pattern,high performance cars typically were some of the exceptions.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

A wire wheel on a bench grinder will work well on the splines if you run inline with the splines.

HOTRODPRIMER and Desoto291Hemi like this.