Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is It Worth It???? Model A Frame WITH Matching Title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Apr 24, 2020.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody really cares. They would rather just bash California, because their state allows behavior that is a functional duplicate of criminal behavior, and they are proud of that.

Strange thing to be proud of.

nochop and BigDogSS like this.
  2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like we're well on our way down a rabbit hole. JMO

nochop likes this.
  3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Ha ha ha. This thread took a different direction than I thought it would. I’m sure by now someone else has quietly jumped on the titled frame deal with no one the wiser. I served it up like a giant softball with the owners name & how to get a hold of him. Normally the wife is pretty reasonable & accepting of my hobbies, but this whole Covid thing has created a giant pain in the ass for buying a house. ALL banks are asking for 6 months of payment reserves before they will give you a loan right now & my wife feels that spending $500 won’t look good on our bank statements. We sold our house that we’ve lived in for the last 12 years right before this covid crap hit & now we don’t want to do anything financially to make the loan process harder. So thank for all the financial advice on loans & if I can afford stuff, but I think I’m good. I really appreciate everyone’s input on the frame matter & if another titled frame comes up when the time is right I’ll have all this info to use to my advantage to sell the idea to my wife. So thanks fellas. Everyone here is awesome & as always you are all a wealth of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

You said if someone changes numbers that is a crime. What if someone bought a title and stamped those on a different frame, say 7 years ago? I always heard the only thing that didn't have a statute of limitations is murder or treason. Not arguing just curious

5. chopped

chopped

I've saved so much in legal fees using the HAMB lawyers that I can afford a E-Bay title.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At some point, the person who committed by the crime can no longer be prosecuted. That varies by state.

At no time does it make the number legal.

If it can be proven that a number is falsified, or illegally transferred, you can still lose the vehicle, in perpetuity, as can any subsequent owners.

Statutes of limitation do not apply there.

You cannot rob a bank, and keep the money, just because you weren't prosecuted in time. The state, or the Feds still get to take the money back.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can joke all you want.

This is literally my job.

I am licensed by my state, and carry a bond, all to keep folks from making poor life choices, regarding vehicle titling and registration.

As I tell everyone, when you pick your hill to die on, make sure it's a good one, and not a really stupid one.

kadillackid, nochop, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  8. WTF really

WTF really

This reflects bad management lol

rusty valley likes this.
  9. I have a friend in Mass. that bought a bone stock model A coupe to build a hot rod from. He sold the original engine, and built the coupe with an Oldsmobile engine. he registered the coupe and all was fine for a couple of years. Then, he got a letter from the Registry of Motor Vehicles telling him that his coupe was illegally registered. it seems that the now owner of the engine put the engine in his stock model A, and got his stock model A registered with the engine number. it took my friend about 2 years to get things straightened out, and was unable to drive his coupe for that period of time.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

I bought a 26 T touring body and parts, and a bare engine block. I had a bonded title inspection done on all the parts and successfully got my Iowa title. I will build the car with another engine, but I will never get rid of the bare T block. That bare block will go with the car should it ever get sold.

nochop and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. 5window

5window

Contrast that to PA where they vacated my title,paid no attention to the frame # or the engine # (1975 350 Chevy) and issued me a totally new VIN. Each state is pretty weird at times.

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since this has gotten far afield I'd like to drift further. As I understand it Alabama requires no titles on vehicles over 35 years of age. The question: how does one register a vehicle bought in Alabama (with no title) in his or her own state which requires a title and bill of sale for registration?

13. RMONTY

RMONTY

You say they dont "require" a title...CAN you title one? If so, maybe therein lies the answer. You title it in Alabama then have the title transfered to whatever state? Just spitballing...

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

This thread didn't take a direction that I didn't think it would. I knew it would go to shit. LOL. In my county the authorities would say....It's a damn model A ford frame! Who gives a shit if it got stolen, looks fine, give me the ten buck inspection fee. LOL.

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just an fyi, here in Wyoming, there are no statutes of limitations on any crime, period, and Ohio repealed all of their statute laws sometime back in the '90's. Not all states are "statutely" equal.

16. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

The numbers on the A frame, and they did not all have one, are not on the frame rail, They are on a cross member under the floor. It looks like the frame in the picture has a tubular replacenent. So I have to say that your wife was right!

17. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I've been to a fair number of rod runs, car shows, and national events. The majority of the cars seem to be model T's and A's with small block chevys installed. There are generally a bunch of police at the gate, directing traffic and such. I have yet to see one stop and jack up a body to check a frame number!

The identifying number on model T and A are on the engine block, Some A models had a matching number on the frame, under the seat, If I follow your logic, every one that has a motor, other than originally installed, is fraudulently titled and registered and subject to confiscation. Correct?

18. alchemy

alchemy

Wrong as the day is long. They are on the topside of the left frame rail, right near the cowl.

19. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I went out to the shop and rechecked mine. Right where I said it was. My Dad used to say that Ford never built two of anything alike, It appears he was right again.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Sorry, but I've seen a ton of Model A Ford frames and I've never seen the serial number stamped on a crossmember. They are all stamped on top of the left frame rail, usually near the inner edge, right where the cowl should sit.

I've personally only owned maybe a half dozen A frames, but my brother has had dozens for sure. All stamped like I said.

gimpyshotrods and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  21. 5window

5window

Especially here

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nothing stopping anyone from RESTAMPING the number were it is easy to read. That should get a reply from California.:rolleyes:

Bob

5window likes this.
  23. 5window

5window

I wonder if it is legal to re-stamp your legitimate title number or frame number on various parts of your frame? I suspect this also varies from state to state.

24. alchemy

alchemy

I had a frame inspected for the bonding process by a State DMV guy and he pulled up on his computer the exact location to check for the number. I expect every DMV employee could have the same info available to them.

25. My T is built around an original but modified '23 frame and registered as a 1923 Ford. Pretty sure the engine number doesn't match! No inspection for classic cars or street rods in Maryland...

The37Kid likes this.
  26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I bought a 29 V-8-powered Ford Roadster here in California in 1962. It was registered as a 1930 6-cylinder. I went to DMV, and asked what to do. The guy issued me a number to be stamped on the frame rail. I drove down to a nearby welding shop in the rain, had them stamp the number on the frame rail for $5. I drove back to DMV to the drive-up window, rang the bell, a different guy came out and said, "Open the hood." I opened the right side so he could verify it. He said, "It belongs over here on the left frame rail." I drove back to the welding shop, another $5, then back to the DMV where he verified it.

Two months later I got the updated registration. "1930 6-cylinder." Two frames later it was still registered as that. I stamped the numbers myself the next two times. I guess if I was caught, I could just pull two plugs. I'm not sure they could tell the difference.

rusty valley and The37Kid like this.
  27. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

My A has numbers on the frame rail. There are body build numbers on the floor cross brace, right in front of the seat - drivers side....which is part of the body.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  28. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

[​IMG]
    (Sorry the picture is upside down) This was the vin # that was stamped on the frame rail. Little hard to see, but I imagine after years of being under the body it’s not going to look perfect. I’m no expert, but it looks legit to me & it matched the title. Not to say that at some point it may have been stamped falsely.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. rusty valley

rusty valley

i've always enjoyed the "deer in the headlights " look from the dmv clerk when you tell them you have no title and want to buy plates. they seem to be just flabergasted that a car could exist with out a title. i have bought old pickups from farmers who bought it new and say they have no title. too lazy to look/dont care about you. these dmv people are not car people, they have never been to a junk yard, or a swap meet or even a garage sale. when i build a car much of what gets used is perhaps a tranny i bought 20 years ago at an auction, a frame i bought from a scrap yard 10 years ago, i have piles of axles, you get the point, and yet i am supposed to have a receipt for these items? you got a receipt for the shoes you are wearing? how about the garage sale lawn mower you use? we are not talking about stolen late model cars, its all junk we gathered up over a lifetime. so...i for one will title it the easiest way possible, which thank goodness is not a big deal in minnesota

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  30. Budget36

Budget36

Really?

Where ever you are at, feel free to stamp away. HF has a decent set, put your own numbers as you see fit. Should work out for you just fine.

Why the fuck some are down on Ca., for making people follow the law is beyond me.

I know, sucks to be a law abiding citizen.