Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1954 Bel Air patina'd kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Nov 19, 2017.

?
  1. Drive the hell out of it?

41 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. Refinance the house. Paint, chrome, upholstery. Full kustom?

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. I’m digging it.
    I have a 50 mercury. Old faded metallic paint from late 60s early 70s.
    Do the chop and rust repairs. Spot in the work with lacquer.
    No chrome to re-do.
    Cruise the crap out of it.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

chryslerfan55 and autoworx1 like this.
  2. Every car in the 50s/60s was painted and beyond perfect.
    Ignore all the pics that may say otherwise in the “tired of homogenized hotrods” thread. They are fakes planted by the communists.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm truly glad I didn't open this thread an see it painted.... Absolutely Love this car's Look! Any interior shots/work?

4. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

20190914_160916.jpg
    Hah, Thanks! No, for some reason I decided to build an AV8 coupe. All my funds have went towards it over the last year or so. I still drive the Bel-Air every summer!

5. BJR

BJR

You asked what you should do in your first post, calm down.:eek:

6. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

You are 100% correct. Show me where you answered my question? This is funny. I get told to calm down when you literally took time out of your day to let me know that there is, “No such thing as a patina’d custom”. To all car people: Stick to this man’s strict instructions on how things HAVE to be done. If you disobey you will be placed into car purgatory. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  7. You know a lot of these guys are old curmudgeons stuck in their ways. That’s ok, you gotta accept everyone for who they are and appreciate what they bring to the table. They got knowledge. You are 39. Think back 20 years and remember trying to explain to an 85 year old why some music you like was cool. I’m 52, so for me it is like trying to sell Billy Idol and Boy George to my 80 year old grandfather who barely spoke english.

I liked your Caddy powered Chevy Coupe, I really like this 54 Chevy too, just the way it is. I think, like you, I dig the traditional old cars with a modern punk twist. No harm. Just expect people to get their “Depends” in a bunch when you let your freak flag fly here. It’s part of the charm.

Rock on.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and autoworx1 like this.
  8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

It looks like a custom that was built 50 years ago and with time its aged a bit and the paint isn't perfect. Thats part of its character and makes it intriguing more so than a freshly painted car in my opinion.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

autoworx1 likes this.
  9. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Thanks Lone Star! That was the goal. It still needs a couple things but overall it's basically "done", whatever that means.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. rivguy

rivguy

Your Chevy looks terrific, the body mods are so well done. The Buick tail lights are unique, at least to me and I'm over 60 years old. I'm kind of jealous because your car has that perfect patina look of worn through paint. My old car has surface rust all over the top and a couple of big blotches on the trunk. I'd just drive it the way it is for now. My vote goes to the two tone OEM paint scheme. I'm sure you could trade some of your metalworking skills for a paint job of your liking. Just enjoy it either way.

bobss396, autoworx1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. I like it the way it is, shiny paint was never something I was that much into. My Ford rocks the part white and part primer thing. I do have all the trim and clips for the car and it is all close to show condition. I had to straighten out most of it.

I'd like to paint it, but that puts the car in paint jail and I can't drive it. Money is not a question. I would have to have a 2nd car if I were to put it in the body shop. THEN I have to sweat about where I park it.

The Buick lights set the car apart from any comparable car I have ever seen, very well done.

12. Otocon

Otocon

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to see.

13. 34Larry

34Larry

Hey man, you've created something big with this little beauty, really outstanding. You asked for advise so I offer mine as having owned and driven a sweet 54 chev. while in the Air Force 58/62 in Wichita, Kansas. Paint it. !+
    I had very large plans for my 34 over on the left here. By the time I reached the point to paint it, it was out of this world expensive for what I planed on, a tri coat metallic red. I had help in the final phases of the build and it was suggested to go with "hot rod black", a far cry from what I had planned on. Money and labor intensive needs poked in their heads and my decision was made. We found "Kirkner Paint" on line, in kit form with
    • 1 – 3/4 Gallon Kirker Hot Rod Black – UA-70388
    • 1 – Quart Medium Activator – UA-1600M
    • 3 Sticks, 3 Strainers, and 1 Dust Mask[​IMG] for under a hundred bucks.
    I'm not suggesting you go with HRB, I'm showing this just as an example, they have other major colors also at great prices.
    Give 'em a look see on line:D.