Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. the frame goes to Charlie and the cart will be loaned to @BP32 to put under his 32 ford pickup frame.
    I screwed the cab down to a lower cart I have, this will allow me to finish the top wood and fit the windshield without climbing. IMG_9938.JPG IMG_9939.JPG

brEad, kiwijeff, Shadow Creek and 9 others like this.
  2. IMG_9941.JPG IMG_9942.JPG IMG_9943.JPG
    off the frame, the door alignment is still right on and they open and close as they should.

kiwijeff, Shadow Creek, TFoch and 7 others like this.
  3. pumpman

pumpman

I was wondering what in the hell was going on with this great build. Thanks for the update and look forward to more.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@tb33anda3rd are you finishing the lower cab areas or is this the extent of restoration? Just curious as there is a fair bit of lower North Country Ambience...We all this way know ALL to well...great journey so far...;)

anothercarguy, loudbang and pumpman like this.
  5. I am going to fix it. the trick will be to get it blend in with the rest of the paint.
    in this photo you can see I was "playing" with some paint on the driver side visor along the nail line. IMG_9939.JPG

kiwijeff, TFoch, Runnin shine and 5 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An experience in balance, capture and respect to what was before us...all good and Pussy approved...I see he has checked all out and can hit the sack now...:D

kiwijeff, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. I've never heard it referred to as "ambience" before, I like that. I can see it now, car for sale...lots of ambience. Lol.

Btw, @tb33anda3rd, don't mean to hi jack your thread. You're doing a great job bringing this one back, and documenting so we can all watch and learn. Thanks.

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. waiting for the new tires. they were in the "cart" but never pushed buy.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Getting closer, looks 100 percent better than what you started with

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. delivery day: 60977045353__ED72CC85-5525-4769-87EC-F8A4D00CCCE3.JPG loaded up the frame for charlie, a welding table I built for a new shop and a frame I painted that houses a flag for a client.

cactus1, brEad, OFT and 7 others like this.
  12. Charlie was almost all ready for the frame. he still needed to put the front spring together but he was not happy with the condition of the main leaf. we set the Frame on jack stands. IMG_9946.JPG IMG_9949.JPG

OFT, kiwijeff, Shadow Creek and 6 others like this.
  13. brakes all done, front end ready for final assembly. IMG_9950.JPG IMG_9951.JPG

cactus1, brEad, OFT and 9 others like this.
  14. the slacker has the motor and tranny waiting for when the rolling chassis is done. IMG_9947.JPG
    IMG_9948.JPG

brEad, OFT, osage orange and 9 others like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

You know, for two Chevy guys you guys do nice work. :DBob

16. removed the hinge from the windshield frame, clamped it to the body, predrilled holes and put all the screws in. IMG_9954.JPG IMG_9955.JPG IMG_9956.JPG

TFoch, OFT, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  17. I took all the screws out
    IMG_9957.JPG the hinge had quite a bend in it when it was slid out of the frame. I straightened it by hand and put it back on the frame.

TFoch, loudbang, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  18. I then installed it on the truck. when it goes in for the final time it will get a gasket between the hinge and the header. frame fits well and sits against the truck straight. IMG_9958.JPG IMG_9959.JPG

brEad, TFoch, OFT and 7 others like this.
  19. I found a couple old windshield opener bars, I actually found two sets, a real nice shiny new set and this older set. I also found only one knob in my stash. I don't know why I saved it, it looks like it could shatter at any moment. IMG_9960.JPG IMG_9961.JPG IMG_9962.JPG

TFoch, Stogy, OFT and 8 others like this.
  20. I also put the two little screws I forgot in the gas tank rail IMG_9963.JPG

brEad, TFoch, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  21. I only found this today, so its been cool to read up to this point. You two are doing a fine job with that ol Ford. Keen to see the Chevy dash in there.

22. felt like bending up a little sheet metal tonight so I started making a new seat riser. got three of the pieces done. IMG_9974.JPG IMG_9975.JPG IMG_9976.JPG

chryslerfan55, TFoch, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  23. here are the drawings and measurements I made to make these pieces. IMG_9978.JPG IMG_9979.JPG

24. I laid out the bends and the area that needed to be raised. IMG_9977.JPG
    IMG_9980.JPG

chryslerfan55, brEad, OFT and 5 others like this.
  25. I used the bead roller to make the raised portion and then neatened it up with the hammer. IMG_9981.JPG IMG_9982.JPG IMG_9983.JPG

chryslerfan55, brEad, OFT and 5 others like this.
  26. I then made the final bends and clamped it up IMG_9984.JPG IMG_9985.JPG IMG_9986.JPG IMG_9987.JPG

27. I need to make these little tabs in the morning then fit it to the truck before welding it up. IMG_9988.JPG

chryslerfan55, brEad, OFT and 7 others like this.
  28. Nice work my friend. HRP

29. .. very much so !!! Yes, indeed.

TFoch, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.