Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1954 Bel Air patina'd kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Nov 19, 2017.

?
  1. Drive the hell out of it?

41 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. Refinance the house. Paint, chrome, upholstery. Full kustom?

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. robracer1

robracer1

If you like to drive it a lot, just cruising, driving out of town, going out to dinner ect. then don't put a expensive show paint job on it. If you put a show paint job on it you will not won't to drive it a lot in fear of damaging the paint!

2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I honestly believe it's worth more, An More enjoyable just as it sits! Anyone can have a painted one, An Will not have the"draw" it does Now..

autoworx1 likes this.
  3. That patina stuff is cool if you wanna look like every other dude in texas with a bagged old car, put a nice single stage color on it to not break the bank.

4. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Can’t believe I just came across this Build - I Love it!
    What’s with all the Patina Haters? Paint it and it blends in with everything else!

autoworx1 likes this.
  5. 392

Leave as is and enjoy it. A lot of guys are worried about looks and spend lots of dollars and time and miss the fun. Remember nothing neater than riding in a beater.

6. Well I am the world's worse about driving one rough so take this with a grain of salt.
    As much time and money as you have in that car I can't imagine why you would not consider painting. Hell if its about cash you can get a Maaco job for less that 500.

7. The custom paint was what I was thinking before I had seem what moose did on photo shop. I also like the idea of a factory paint two tone. Can we please see it @themoose factory two tone same colors blue and white.

autoworx1 likes this.

8. OK...Lets have a look........

blue and white.jpg

9. Yep that looks really cool... I love the blend of custom and factory. Thanks moose.

themoose likes this.
  10. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Moose, you did it again! I honestly didn't think you could out do the first one. I'll have to admit, I think I like the factory two tone paint mixed with the custom touches better too. Your work on the car has me thinking about buying some side pipes!

I just received the rest of my stainless trim this afternoon. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll have the passenger side wing window and trim installed.

leadfootloon and themoose like this.
  11. driverquality

driverquality

As my name says, I’m all about driver quality cruising cars vs lawn chair haulers. Yours is certainly a work of art in my eyes as is, but @themoose hit it on the head with his second “paint job”. My vote is to drive it as is for a year or 2 then tear it down for the booth when you are ready for a change.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

autoworx1 likes this.
  12. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

40two, leadfootloon and Shadow Creek like this.
  13. Side pipes!!!! Brilliant that will look outstanding... I think you should put that on your list of stuff to buy. Cool car for sure.

14. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Finally got the other tires, hubcaps and stainless trim on. Now I just need interior. 20180428_110458.jpg 20180428_110609.jpg 20180428_110532.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Went for a cruise last night. The small, small town of Lane, Ks.
    20180625_172322.jpg

40two, leadfootloon and Rick & Jan like this.
  16. NAES

NAES

David Gersic likes this.
  17. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

I say it looks so COOL the way it is. You do not want to 46441b64e550dc7f27db347b491744c30b47d79a.gif do this!

Chavezk21 likes this.
  18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I voted patina without reading the thread because I didn't want you to leverage your house to paint it.

Knowing now that you are not doing that, and seeing the PS renders, I really like the OG paint colors version also. The good news is it is killer just like you have it, and will be killer if you paint it and bring the chrome up to new. You really can't lose here!

I have had one apart for a while so I also vote for drive and enjoy it before you take it back apart. I miss driving mine.

19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Fantastic job by the way. You should be proud of the car.

autoworx1 likes this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not just the price of the paint job. If you make it shiny you are going to need to address the chrome. Pitted and worn chrome looks cool on a patina car but out of place on a painted lady. Those bumpers are going to cost more to chrome than the paint job. Then there's interior and so on, and so on...

Leave it, drive it, enjoy it. It looks great!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Otocon

Otocon

I know this post is a little old but I have a question I’m hoping to get and answer to.

From the look of it, you did not have to sink any of the rear window into the body. If that is the case, where did you make your cuts at the back window when you did the chop? I can see the one above the window but what did you do below it? Thanks

22. BJR

BJR

No such thing as a "patina'd custom." Customs were always painted back in the day. Unless they were a work in progress, which meant they had primer where the body changes were being done. :D

lurker mick likes this.
  23. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

So a "custom" painted 50 years ago wouldn't show any patina on the paint. Interesting.... I'll buy as much of that paint as you can sell me.

24. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

You're correct. The back glass is full height everywhere except on the very lower corners. There is probably 1" of glass hid behind the trim and quarter panel in lowest corner of the back glass. It's the only way I could get a line I was happy with that flowed off the roof line. I did remove 4" of the roof so that the back glass could be slid forward. This obviously caused a 4" gap in front of the trunk. The package tray also needed to be trimmed to allow the window frame to sit at the correct height. There were several relief cuts made in the rear section of the roof to allow the metal to relax to the new curve that the back glass forced the roof to take. I'll see if I have pictures of this.

25. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I made small changes along the way but these pictures give you the big picture.

Attached Files:

26. Thanks.
    I have wondered about that.
    I missed this some how when originally posted. Great car, great look and vibe.

autoworx1 likes this.
  27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

28. BJR

BJR

I am not knocking what you are doing, just the terminology. Old customs were painted or about to be painted. If they are patinaed they have been sitting for years and need to be repainted. Not shown in the delapiaded state.

29. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Do you have to play in the MLB to be a "baseball player"?

bobss396 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

It’s crazy how the one website that a lot of us come to get very useful information ends up being a forum for others to tell you how you’re doing it WRONG. You stated this wrong, you painted this wrong, my car is better, it wasn’t done like that in the 50’s. etc.. It sure would be refreshing to post a picture of your project, ask for a dimension on a frame, find out how to convert a 6v generator to 12v or maybe post a picture of your garage paint job without having everyone tell you how much better they could have done it or how the “terminology” of your thread isn’t right. Good lord. It gets real old hearing from all the guys that do it “right” all the time.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020