Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just for fun, If you had dumb money to spend what on topic car or truck would you buy or build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Feb 2, 2020.

1. RmK57,

Beautiful 427 SOHC !
    That would be a Cracker Jack of a choice,,,,,that would truly be a bad dude !
    Is that a personal pic,,or from the internet,,,I would like a copy of that .
    Engines and transmissions always turn my head .

Tommy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Sorry Hitchhiker, But I would have to find some guy with a machine gun to shoot your ass if you did that.;) My favorite custom Merc of all time. But I prefer to think of it as the Jim McNeal Merc , because he love it for 60 plus years!! Bob only loved it about four! Larry

3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd get my '50 Fleetline done and drive the wheels off of it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  5. Easy, one of every Gordon Beuhrig designed cars, Auburn Boattail, Cord, Duesenberg, 51 Ford Hardtop, Herohata Merc, Ray Vega 38 Ford Valley Custom Tub, 53 Buick Skylark, 53 Olds Fiesta, 53 Cad Eldorado, Ivo T, Grabowski T. Dang I got myself a whole museum, Oh Well, I got "Dumb/Crazy amounts of money, throw in a Packard Darren too. JW

6. 8flat

8flat

'33/34 ford 5window 4" chop w/blown flathead fully road worthy and dependable for trips across country.

aussie57wag and mad mikey like this.
  7. To stay on topic, a 1964 Fairlane 427 SOHC.

chryslerfan55, LTM75110 and Deuces like this.
  8. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Any Ed Roth car or a Cheetah

mad mikey and rudestude like this.
  9. earlyride

earlyride
    from california

10. 6sally6

6sally6

Mid 60's F-100 with a SOHC 427 in it....Lenco tranny.......slammed about 5" from the ground...and big 'old fat tarz on it.
    OH!!!!!!!!!!!...and a 63 split window.
    6sally6

11. Toner283

Toner283

A 48 Tucker. Dropped, wide whites, chrome steelies, tuck 'n roll upholstery and a clone of the 350 hp Franklin flat 6 that Chet Herbert built many moons ago (and subsequently blew up on the dyno trying for 400 hp).

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

OIPXVLF93I2.jpg
    There is something about this car that just looks so right to me. Bob

13. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. siouxindian

siouxindian

mad mikey likes this.
  15. All that I could......:)

16. Crayons

Crayons

Either a Kellison coupe or a Woodhill Wildfire.

rattlecanrods likes this.
  17. Chettah, had so many of the slot cars always wanted a real o[​IMG]ne.

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Back in 1960 when we were ready to get me a car for the first time, we looked at (the measly savings account, first) that automatically limited us to what would be a good car for me. At the time, fast street cars were coming on strong with the Impalas and 409 powered cars. I have always wanted a station wagon, but settled for a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery as my first purchase with my own money.

Being a teenager, no one cared about greenhouse windows surrounding the whole car, giving the ultimate vision all around the blind spots. If it ran and ran well, it did not matter what car a teenager was driving. Of course, the sedan delivery had so much privacy over a station wagon, even if the wagon had curtains all around.

So, our teenage driving versus the real purchase of a cool station wagon was put on hold for quite some time. After we sold our 2nd 327 powered Ford Sedan Delivery, our hot rod stage took a vacation for family safety and security. A series of older station wagons fit our tight budget, so there was a string of small station wagons to fill that need. Surf racks on top and beach stuff in the back, along with all of the “kid” paraphernalia that was necessary. We still could not afford to buy a Chevy station wagon of any kind that would meet our family needs and satisfy the budget.

Those days are over after our son moved out, went to college and then finally got married. So, for that era, a large station wagon or SUV was the mode of the day. For these modern times, the urge to drive a classic vehicle has been rising. What a nice way to stay "locked in place", than to see a bunch of cool station wagons built at any price or needing some work. A completely new station wagon, new chassis, suspension, brakes, big motor, 4 speed/stick hydro, bucket seats, and necessary finishing accessories, including A/C.
    upload_2020-5-4_4-2-35.png
    So, a nice red 1955 Chevy 2 door station wagon would satisfy our needs. Even a 2 door 1965 Chevelle station wagon is still in the picture. (grew up in the 20s driving a 65 El Camino over 125k miles…) Finally, A Fish Bowl view all around for absolute clarity when driving, the room necessary for storage and just the attitude of “coolness” when driving in the local neighborhood. Then my wife got on the wagon (pun intended) and mentioned that a cool Chevy 2 door wagon might fit our needs. We are not getting any younger, these days… Yahoooo!!

Jnaki
    upload_2020-5-4_4-3-1.png or
    upload_2020-5-4_4-3-26.png

chryslerfan55 and mitch 36 like this.
  19. Pop Chevy

Pop Chevy

Back in the late 70's I had to pass up a real Cheetah for only $8000 ! Well my wife and I were just getting established and sure didn't have any extra money laying around. I regret that to this day. A bucket list car for sure, another one would be an old streamliner. Ah it's good to dream !

The37Kid likes this.
  20. I'd find out where Pete Eastwood lives. Take my cash, & ask him for what he would buy. There's my purchase.

High test 63 likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If we had the money to spend at will without any consequences, then it would be a 1940 Ford Woody Station Wagon minus the woody part. We have owned 2 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery models, one with a Flathead and one with a 327 SBC. The second one was the one with more power and the same SBC motor with a Paxton Supercharger would be in the new steel station wagon.

A/C for comfort and a happy wife. Nice Recaro style bucket seats for flexability and comfort on long roadtrips. Bucket seats are fine, but full adjustable reclining seats are the best. (Including lumbar supports.) It would be an all steel body with roll up windows & doors that lock. The custom suicide rear passenger doors would give it a definition and easy access to the rear seats or compartment with the seats down.

The rear door would be a split window up and a drop down door. The rear window in the rear door would be big, but proportionate to the door. Larger enough to see what is behind the station wagon at all times in the rear view mirror. We do not like blind spots created by the full body sedan delivery and this time, it would be relatively open.

Jnaki

Why a custom station wagon and not stay with the woody body? My high school surf transportation was a Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. The money strapped teenager ran that sedan delivery all over So Cal coastal beaches in the search for good waves. The second version of a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was a 327 powered sedan delivery with all of the goodies, but had to be worked on to make it a great hot rod/cruiser.

We really wanted a 1940 woody, but over time, it was impractical with constant upkeep on the wood and plus, there was the high cost of actually purchasing one. Even the ones that were rusty, had wood rot and a were a total wreck were too expensive for our tastes.

My wife wanted one that would be drivable and different. So, we stayed with the sedan delivery until it was time to sell it for our growing family. All of these years later, that 1940 Ford Woody stayed in our conversations. But, getting older since the 20 something days just did not justify spending all of time and energy doing a rebuild or ground up build and constant maintenance.

So, with this proposition of having money to spend on any kind of build, it would be done to our specs. We would have a one of a kind hot rod built for anything, the coastal cruises, deserts, mountains and visiting family and friends. (SBC +A/C are the necessities, plus, suspension/braking upgrades) Would we care if the purists would frown on cutting up and modifying a 1940 Ford Woody? Is it their project or station wagon?

The old folks could once again, take road trips as if we were 20 somethings. This time in a nice 1940 Ford all window, custom station wagon. Even my new/old surfboard would fit inside with room for people in the back seat. Ahh… the advantages of modern technology to fit the old school stuff.

upload_2020-11-24_4-34-21.png

mitch 36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

For this discussion and keeping it traditional, as much as I would love to own the Big John Willies or a 32 5 window give me either a 63 split window, fuelie car with A/C. or a 49 chevy woodie wagon (real wood) but with updated susp (disk brakes) and V8 engine to allow it to be a great road car...

23. A Boner

A Boner

Rolling Bones...here I come!

mad mikey likes this.
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent choice of engine, and indeed a Ford body!
    dh253 (2).jpg

aussie57wag, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

I want Groucho's green '32 tudor sedan or Mark's red Model A sedan.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If money was no concern I'd build a street legal version of Ohio George's Willys coupe!

[​IMG]

I'd make it with his final engine the SOHC Ford, even though I'm a Chevy fan. Those are such a cool engine I'd just want something that unique.

27. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'54 Ranch Wagon with '54 Merc wagon taillights, interior, nose, & trim. Powered by '55 El Dorado & a nice, tight dual range hydro.
    Mercury should have kept building a 2 door wagon after '51.

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'd build something similar to this without a Flathead with a soft suspension to be used as a daily driver and highway runner.

Elcoupe.jpg

Deuces, nunattax and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. If you had stupid cash to spend on an on topic car what would you buy? That is the question. Well if I’m honest i’d go get a certain yellow ‘32 coupe ( you guys know which one) that or build myself a super traditional roadster with a Lincoln flathead for power, split bones and a driver friendly suspension for everyday use.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil 32, chevy57dude and 41 GMC K-18 like this.