Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Under dash air conditioner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigstar, Jun 22, 2016.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I just go out and buy a new compressor, find a suitable under dash unit and pipe them up.
    Oh, you will need to find a suitably sized condenser with dimensions that suit your radiator and a good fan.
    Nothing too hard with all that.
    Do as much of the work you can yourself and then take it to a shop and get them to gas and wire it etc if you don't have the skills.
    If you are not sure ask questions there is always somebody out there who can help you thru it...

I've done my own 64 Falcon coupe, 1959 F100 and now my first actual hot rod 1926 T pickup all with under dash units.

Attached Files:

firstinsteele and Sandgroper like this.
  2. 4woody

4woody

I'm interested in using a blower motor resistor to slow the fan of my VA "Heritage" under dash heat/AC unit. Just choosing 1980 Chevy C-10 at random I'm seeing some resistors with 3 terminals, and some with 4 terminals. Which type, and how do I hook one up? I've wired several cars, but I'd like more guidance before I start cutting wires.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1191844&cc=1030576&jsn=2231 [​IMG]

3. 4woody

4woody

Any help would be much appreciated...

4. blower-motor-wiring-diagram-1.jpg This will work but pay attention to how many speeds you want and match your rotary switch (ohm out the terminals to be sure which one is which)... to the number of resistors/terminals on the resistor pack. Mount the resistor pack in the airstream of the fan... easy!

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Put one in a 57 Fairlane. Had to install an electric fan in front of the radiator .The stock belt driven fan did not move enough air to cool the condenser in traffic in florida in the summer.
    After the electric fan it would put frost on the carpet.

6. 4woody

4woody

Thanks 49!
    I’ll dig out the schematic VA provided with the unit and see if I can meld that with yours. It would be nice if I could just use the existing switch as it’s built into the unit.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  7. 4woody

4woody

Am I right in thinking:

1. I could wire the blower resistor either in the white wire from the motor to ground OR the red power wire with the 30 amp breaker?

2. Once the resistor is wired in, I'd still have 3 speeds governed by the stock speed switch; They'll just all be lower according to which terminals of the resistor I use? (Assuming I use the low or medium terminal on the resistor, as I understand the high terminal would just send full power straight through)
    Scan_20200429.jpg

8. It appears that VA is using a different scheme to control the speed (series winding switching).. so i guess you better just follow their wiring diagram. The wiring diagram I sent was for a "normal" two wire motor, and by adding resistance, it reduces the volts/amps to the motor, but VA looks like it uses two different (at least) windings to change the speed... oh well.....good luck

9. CarolynVJ

CarolynVJ

Thank you very much for the diagram, you have no idea how I have been looking for it for a long time. I remembered a story. Once we were in a friend's garage, and we were examining a drawing of furniture. We decided to take a break to eat something and give our brains a break. Everything would be fine, but some guy called my friend and said that he had come to the hdb aircon installation. My friend was shocked, because he did not order anything, he asked the young man if he had confused the number. The guy claimed that everything was wrong, and when it came to personal information, it turned out that the customer had a completely different name, the young man apologized for a very long time, it was clear that he was ashamed.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    5window likes this.