Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 2x2 carb setup. Which carbs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by macdave06, Apr 25, 2020.

1. macdave06

macdave06

Putting a 273 in my 51 dodge. I have a 4bbl intake I'm planning to convert to a 2x2 setup. I've got the adapter portion figured out, but I get lost in the sea of carb options. I'm not looking for crazy performance or anything, just something that will run properly and cruise. The original carb was a 2bbl Carter BBD, but the CFM ratings are listed anywhere from low 200's to 500.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

2. How do you plan to convert? Like a slingshot set-up? but I think you'd have better luck with a 500 cfm 4 bbl on your existing manifold. Easier to set up and tune and probably better mileage.

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. macdave06

macdave06

Yeah. With a vintage speed adapter. Once I confirm it works properly I'll weld it and blend it back into the intake so it looks like it came that way. I plan to run it progressive so it should act like a 4bbl mostly running off of one carb.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And better performance.

Wait a second! You have a 4 BBL manifold the you are planning to weld a Vintage Speed adapter to? All of the Vintage Speed adapters I have seen are aluminum. Either you have figured out a way to weld aluminum to cast iron or you will be ruining a nice aftermarket manifold. If the former, congratulations; if the latter, I would re-think your plans.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    loudbang and town sedan like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have a set of 94’s rebuilt with an old school polish job that I was going to run on one of my sexy sixes but I have other carbs running right now. My set is converted to run 2x2. You got a host of options . Is your adapter for the 3 bolt carbs?

6. macdave06

macdave06

Yes I am planning to "ruin" an aluminum manifold. It's not anything rare or special. Besides, if it works properly its not ruined, just different.

7. macdave06

macdave06

I have yet to purchase an adapter, but yeah they are offered with the 3 and 4 bolt patterns.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Similar to the fellow overseas? Go for it, have fun!

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Oh oh I have the finned adapter as well even a couple of those finned Maund stacks.

10. Straight linkage would be better.

11. macdave06

macdave06

Why do you say that?

12. macdave06

macdave06

Do you have pictures? That sounds like a pretty cool setup. I was looking at running finned stacks as well. I've got a set of MT finned valve covers to go on it. Probably paint them to match the block and polish the fins.

13. macdave06

macdave06

Found this lot local to me. Trying to get the guy to part a couple carbs and the stacks but he wants to sell it all together.[​IMG]

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Let me get some pics for you.

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon