Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Neat build Marty and a nice nod to Dean Lowes' icon.

Your skills should inspire us all to get in the garage and try stuff, they certainly do me...

bchctybob, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  2. AmishMike

AmishMike

You should ask SEGA ( southeast gasser association ) to sponsor a trip south. Believe your roadster matches their rules & what they want to see in a gasser. Bunch of their cars on the HAMB. Great build & builds tks again

loudbang likes this.
  3. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Not quite 1am local and I just got home from the truck plant. I'll fill you in later. She looks good on the ground and rolling. Of course we'll all be following along with the track roadster build. Always good to see what's happening on your side of the hill, along with an after work beer, for a smile after an ass kicking of a day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. 2270 Marty, without class weight. 2430 on the line with class weight added. Right on the hammer for 301 cu.in. My current "street rod" RPU weigh's 2700 on the road with me in it.

bchctybob, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Dean, I knew you would have the answer. Maybe I will put it on scales soon, just to see where it's at, right now.

bchctybob, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  6. Yours will be heavier Marty. You boxed your frame. Kurtis didn't box my frame. He said "if you know how and where to mount your cross members, the frame will not flex. He must have been right. The rubber marks on the pavement were dead even on every launch. The 2270 weight was with the full interior, and maybe 7 or 8 gallons in the big tank.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got a surprise email a couple of nights ago from my friend @bymanr on here. He only enclosed a couple of pictures of a McLeod bellhousing (exact copy of the one in the '29) Chevy to Chevy or Ford. There wasn't any text, so I thought he was playing with me. It turns out, he bought it in 1995 and never used it. As things have it, he needs some of my services, and I certainly needed another bellhousing for the race engine/trans package I am setting up. I contacted McLeod about getting it re-certified, and they took my info, and sent me a RMA number to send it to them for inspection. With luck it will work out, since it is mint perfect. Thanks Rich !!!!!!! There will be a follow up post, about why I haven't posted any progress on this thread, or the Track Roadster either. IMG_4708.JPG IMG_4706.JPG IMG_4709.JPG

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That is mint!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Over the weekend, my oldest Brother and mentor passed. Jerry's love and involvement of motor sports spanned 7 decades, from the 50's to the 20 teens. I did my first driving, in his 29 Model A 2- door, while sitting is his lap. I was 6 and he was 14. He was the most driven person I ever knew, and could build anything, and quick. He built them fast, to go fast. He inspired me to to what I have made a life's work out of. In the 60 plus years, he dabbled in all facets, from Drags, pavement and sand, Circle track, Tractor/Truck pulls, and finally Bonneville. At 70, he built an o/t 90 T-Bird in 3 months, with a T/F (16 plug, dual Mag) Hemi, with a tilt body, ten years ago. Having never raced on the salt, he had to go through all of the steps of regulated speed. In 6 runs, he posted 264 mph. The funny car in the pics, built and raced it as a bare chassis in 9 days ! The "Megasuarus " 29' tall robot took 3 months, using a Sherman Tank as the base. It is still on the circuit today. I would tax the bandwidth of the internet telling all the stories, about the fast machinery that he built. Rest in Peace Big Brother ! 2012-08-10 115737.jpg 2012-08-09 170720.jpg Meg.jpg

10. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

I'm so sorry for your lose Marty. Between you and Dieter I've heard a few stories about your brother. What a great person to have for a big brother. Take care. Tim

11. I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like an incredible individual and brother.

loudbang, AmishMike and Stogy like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about your loss Marty. Sounds like you boys had a hell of a family! My thoughts are with you!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Brothers got'a love em!!!!

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My condolences Marty, your brother sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing about him.

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Billy, there were 4 of us boys, born between 1940 and 48. Grew up poor, we used to say, "give us soup can and a pile of rocks,we will make a competition out of it "!

raven, bchctybob, brEad and 7 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Condolences to you and the family in the loss of Jerry...I share in that loss with you the others here...certainly an incredibly talented man he was...may he Rest in Peace...

Regards,
    Stogy

loudbang and kiwijeff like this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

It’s always tough to lose someone you love but you still have those wonderful memories to keep you going until you see him again. He accomplished more than most of us dream of doing.
    Godspeed Jerry.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

He did a lot, for a guy that didn't finish High School, all he thought about was his baby blue 46 Ford Business Coupe. A Judge, gave him three choices, go to School, Reform School, or the Service. He chose the Naval Air, and at 17 years and 7 days old, he was in Boot Camp !

Just Gary, bchctybob, Blues4U and 5 others like this.
  19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My condolences to you and your family, sounds like he was quite a guy. Besides being your mentor, I’m sure he was proud of what you accomplished too!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. 18n57

18n57

I’ll bet your brother was proud of your accomplishments as well, may he Rest In Peace.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here he is, tuning the Nitro burning Chevy in the Coleman Bros, with me in the seat. P1010031.JPG

winr, alanp561, bchctybob and 10 others like this.
  22. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

So sorry to read that your Brother passed on. Sounds like you two made many good memories together. RIP

23. bymanr

bymanr

Marty, condolences to you and your family on the loss of your brother Jerry. He sounds like he was an incredible mentor for you. I am glad to be able to provide a little piece of the puzzle for the 29 project today. I hope it goes well with the recertification at McLeod.
    Take care Marty you are in our thoughts.
    Rich

24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sorry for your loss Marty. Godspeed Jerry.

25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Keeping you and yours in my prayers!

26. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Sorry to hear that Marty , I never met your brother but in the few stories that you told me you brought on a whole different tone when talking about him. You could tell there was more than just blood there. You would light up and show some mischief and a lot of amusement, must have had some great memories together.

27. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Had a hunch something was up. I was actually watching the 2 videos from Bonneville of Jerry in the Thunderbird on Sunday for some strange reason. My condolences my friend. I'd post the videos if I could figure out the technical side...They always put a smile on my face

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. My condolences to you, Marty, and family.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Sorry to hear about your brother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

30. Jimmy

Jimmy