Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods License plate restoration resource

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el porto rod & custom, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I looking to find a reliable resource for getting my 1939 California license plate restored. I'm located in Southern California and hopping to find someone in this area. With the Covid 19 situation affecting the usual Pomona and Long Beach swap meets, I'm having difficulty finding some of the folk I've used previously. Hope to get some help here.

Attached Files:

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the YOM plates for my '54 Ford from this guy: oldpl8s. IIRC he is in Pasadena. He does restorations as well. Super nice guy and fair prices IMO. I picked them up from him at the LARS. Might be worth a PM.
    Found a web site: www.OLDPL8S.com

loudbang and 1oldtimer like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bought all my YOM tags off eBay that didn't need any restoration. Some were NOS.

4. 5window

5window

Quite a few listed in Hemmings. But, do a HAMB search. This is a topic addressed regularly. Good restorations are going to cost you and you'd better first make sure your DMV will accept them as valid once they are restored.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a DMV threat that license plates that were 'defaced', 'restored', etc. could result in criminal prosecution.
    Of course, this is California, the capital for threats and underhanded lawyer gibberish.
    But they swear it's so...(they do that everyday in court, too)

loudbang, 5window and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. mkubacak

mkubacak

I have wondered about this. If the plate is "restored" properly, should the slapdick that is approving the plate even be able to tell if it has been "restored"?

When I purchased my Model A, I had to take the YOM plates the seller had used on it and included with the purchase down to be inspected. I also had to take them in when I renewed the registration. I wonder what they looked at other than the plate was legible and in good condition?

loudbang likes this.
  7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

They look to see if the plate is made of steel instead of aluminum. There is a least one company that makes exact reproductions except in aluminum.

loudbang likes this.
  8. California plates are aluminum now

loudbang likes this.
  9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I understand but an original plate is required in most states meaning it would have to be steel.

loudbang and Peter Nowak like this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

my friend took a tin snips and cut up pieces to make a plate that says 26T . welded it together, painted, and the state of minnesota accepted it. i still can not believe it

loudbang and Peter Nowak like this.
  11. He's also here on the HAMB

I've been told by 2 DMV locations over the years that the plates I was trying to use needed to be restored first
    before I could use them. I went to another DMV and they went through just fine as is.

California plates were either aluminum OR steel in 1947.

loudbang likes this.
  12. El porto, those look really straight and you could re paint them yourself if you wanted too. Do a search on here for posts, there's a few different ways of doing it. Mine is to clean up (blast), light prime, med (few layers) letter paint color whole front of plate, light background color whole plate (front and back), color sand to get letters/numbers to correct color and then clear coat. Use good automotive paint.

My house numbers in spray can:
    house 003a.jpg
    house 007a.jpg

13. Nice job. Were contemplating the DIY suggestion. Thanks

14. Thanks for your reply. I'll contact him

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets us know what you decide to do.

16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

el porto, Make sure those plates are DMV clear before you sink any money into them. I'm sure they will be.

17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

BTW, I had my CA black plates restored to better than new (over-restored? LOL) and took them to the DMV, the clerk looked at them and said --> "Wow, these plates are in great shape!!", took a photocopy of them and sent all of the paperwork to Sacramento. I had the registration back within a month.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  18. 5window

5window

Since PA only has a rear tag, I run the assigned plates on the rear of my '31 and O/T '65 Mustang and run YOM's, that don't match on the front. No trouble, so far. Of course, this is meaningless for CA. post pictures of your before and afters.

19. Look up catfish here on the Hamb. He does a fine job on them. If you can't find him let me know and I'll PM his number. In St. Louis

20. Thank you for replying. I haven't had great luck in finding the correct "catfish" when searching on the Hamb. If it's not too much trouble, please forward his contact information. Fred

21. Joe H

Joe H

My Missouri plates from '37 are black and white. I powder coated the black back ground the hand painted the white. When I messed up the white, it cleaned right off the black without any issues. They came out good enough for the DMV and look good from a few feet away.

22. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

BigDogSS and 5window like this.
  23. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Line 1 of the California DMV YOM application:
    Plates may be restored but not replicated.
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...41dd-b475-0e9b740c7dad/reg352.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

BigDogSS likes this.
  24. cpd682

cpd682
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from DFW, Texas

https://vintageplaterestoration.com/

25. Grimpala

Grimpala
    from DFW

26. George

George

The Police shouldn't care what dead plate you have on the front. Same here in Fla.

5window likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

Not sure what business you're in, but I didn't think $105 is too bad. It includes shipping, materials, clean-up and knowing how.

28. 5window

5window

Folks who serve and protect, but also have to wear their hats like this are often bothered by things I don't think they should worry about. But, generally, they treat me rarely and fairly.

[​IMG]

29. George

George

License Plate Express in Iowa did mine for the '60 Plym.

30. I cannot actually speak for her and she is not local but if you are willing to mail I would be willing to bet that the @raven 's wife (Amy) would restore one or two for ya. It would be perfect if Amy did it for you. She can restore about anything.

I would drop the raven a message and ask him.