Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Show me your 1941-1946 Chevy trucks with dropped axles.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by free07110, Apr 28, 2020.

1. free07110

free07110

Have a 46 Chevy Pickup I did with my dad over 20 years ago. Mustang 2 front end. Street rod look. I getting ready to start to redo it in the winter and will do another frame off but want to go more original/traditional look with still having modern powertrain. Came across original rolling frame and interested in using it. I Would want to do drop I beam in front and blocks in the rear like I already have. I currently have a good stance with the mustang front end but like I said I would like a more traditional truck. Wanting to see Chevy trucks with dropped I beams to see the stance and how it looks before I get the other frame.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I don’t have any pics of that body style handy. But, according to your location, appears you are right down the road from where you need to pick up the axle. www.droppedaxles.com

You might check his website since he does have several pics on there typically mentioning the amount of dropped axle, springs, etc. Sid is a great guy and long time friend. My son even works there part time. My name might be on some of his tech articles too.

Okie Pete and free07110 like this.
  3. free07110

free07110

Yup. Been in touch with Sid but wanted to see some pictures of trucks.

4. Gofannon

Gofannon

5. ^^^^^
    Might be a hint. Sometimes it's as simple as what works.

6. free07110

free07110

7. free07110

free07110

I agree newer front end is the easier path and have that on my truck now. Actually have a true mustang 2 front end from 74 mustang. Just figured if I’m going back to more of a original look I should attempt original front end as long as I can get the stance I want.

8. This is the only one from Sid's website that I found and I would guess it only has a 3" axle and no other modification based on the stance. I would definitely try to sway you toward the dropped axles. I don't know why you couldn't get the stance you want with enough drop in the axle (up to 4") and either a couple leaves from the springs removed or a set of Posie's springs. I would also argue that the dropped axle setup is easier (other than your situation where you already have a frame set up with Mustang II). Everything pretty much bolts up like original as compared to swapping to something else. Anyway, I understand the reasons folks update to other suspensions, but I just lean toward the way they were designed originally for multiple reasons. I am even building my 15-year-old sons 51 Chevy with a dropped axle and Posie's springs which will be his daily driver. Hopefully someone else will chime in with pics of some of these.

Just had another thought. If you are on FB, Sid created a page for dropped axles there too where there are lots of pics. If I could remember what it was called, I would tell you...but I can't right now and bailed on FB about a year ago myself or I would go look.

1946-chevy-2.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  9. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sid has a frame . When I brought home the 42 1 1/2 ton he told me he had a 1/2 ton frame incase I wanted to change it into a pickup . I told him I liked the truck as it is and thanked him for the offer.

free07110 likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, I'm a traditionalist all the way, but I wouldn't remove a nicely installed MII IFS from a running Chevy pickup.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  11. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

523A84D6-9359-43B2-92F5-742830E5B666.jpeg It’s no a 41-46 ,it’s a 38 Bow tie with a 6” Super Bell Tech drop axle, couple of leaves removed every other one starting from the second shortest leaf ,small front tires ,tall rear tires for the stance, front still has 2” suspension travel ,ride is nice on good roads

54chevkiwi, Gofannon and free07110 like this.
  12. I suggest you find a truck with an axle and drive it first to see if you really want to go that route. ...not fun havin a truck you don't enjoy driving.

free07110 likes this.
  13. free07110

free07110

The whole truck needs to be redone. It wasn’t the finest rebuild, has issues of how the crossmember was installed and not properly done. When I do a frame off again it will need to be cut out and redone right or swap to a donor frame. This is why I’m debating on which route to go.

14. free07110

free07110

Crossmember was not done right and needs to be redone. At that point do replace the crossmember or use donor frame. That’s why I’m debating on.

15. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Heres mine.Had sid drop my axle 4 inches and 3 inch blocks in the rear.It drives like an old truck. wich I enjoy. 1946.jpg

-Brent-, free07110, neverdun and 2 others like this.
  16. I was wondering the same thing, you can't tell what suspension is under one of these trucks from a photo, irregardless of how it was installed or type of suspension.
    The only thing you could gain from a photo would be to see how much a 3-4 inch drop would get you vs stock height.

free07110 likes this.
  17. With those big fenders no one will know. I am in the same position right now trying to decide which way to go. Stock 50 gmc that needs to be lowered.

18. free07110

free07110

Love the stance! What tire size are you running? Cruise good at hwy speeds?

19. free07110

free07110

Correct, can’t tell most suspension setup on these trucks. Hard for me to tell if it’s a s10 frame or a stock frame with mustang 2 without looking. My goal was to find one with a drop axle and see if the stance looks good and low enough like my current setup. My plan is to go away from the late 90s early 2000 billet street rod look I currently have and back to more stock look but with a lowered stance like I have.
    The older I get the more traditional stock truck look better but stance is still big.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  20. free07110

free07110

Anyone else with drop axle? Probably starting this this winter. Trying to finish up my 32 roadster before I start this.

21. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

I dont think there are enough words to express how much i goddamn want this thing..
    Id trade my 54 for it in a heart beat!