Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I played with fiberglass, what a pain in the ass to make a flat flange inside of a short hood scoop. I thought I was out smarting it by getting a square piece of 3/4 osb, cut a rectangle out of the middle, prop it up so I could get under it, covered the wood so the mat and resin didn't stick to it, place scoop over hole and wala.
    Not so fast, there's not enough room to move, now I have hairy resin everywhere, shit, got to mix more resin, damn now it's dripping on my pants, why is my phone alarm going off, how am I going to turn it off with my hairy gloves..ugh

2. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Well, dang. What I was gonna say has already been said. What th' heck. That is nice work. I appreciate ("to add value to") it because I used to do it. I miss the whole clanging, sparking, molten mess. And the look of fresh dressed metal.
    Edit: Haha. I just read "blower hat". I was going to suggest a scoop yesterday but I resisted.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    harley jim likes this.
  3. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Re: "...just might drive it..."
    I don't see why not.

4. Caprice89

Caprice89

Got my first dent. Hit a small post. Good thing this is not a show car. IMG_20200427_173945.jpeg IMG_20200427_174001.jpeg

Sent from my online shouting device

Lil32 likes this.
  5. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Finished installing the iron work on the stairs I remodeled. Now it's time to install my new 4600 stall converter in the Hemi Hunter. IMG_20200427_201848794_MP.jpg IMG_20200427_201936651.jpg

Saxman, X38, 48stude and 11 others like this.
  6. Finished planting garden stuff. Now Im going to my other place and plant some false orange seeds in the fence row. Trying to grow a ten foot wide thicket of thorny hedge around the premeter of that 14 acres. Already have Osage orange and blackberry canes growing. planted some of those Christmas nuts in that future hedge row. Maybe they will grow? Also in the pasture I want the Bermuda grass to crowd out the fescue so Im going to hand spread some triple thirteen commercial fertilizer on just the Bermuda grass.

Lil32 and osage orange like this.
  7. raymay

raymay

Attended a cruise with my 37 Chevy in a local town to honor a Mother turning 90 today. Nice turnout with local Police, Fire, other first responders and several friends from our car community. Nice to get out for a ride, see the wonderful smile on the lady's face and appreciate the thumbs up she gave me as I passed by. After lunch I headed back out to donate another pint of blood. Working toward my 22 gallon donation pin.

20200428_115838 (2).jpg 95340048_3054563937932967_9215447774949015552_o.jpg 95388411_3054562884599739_4771265150353145856_o.jpg 95577765_3054565004599527_5486914153358557184_o.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  8. No lawn mower today had an emergency fix on a septic tank, kinda shitty but it all came out ok. George Dickle and Coke to finish the day.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Lloyd's paint & glass and Lil32 like this.
  9. Went to the cardiologist for a follow up on some tests we did, he says everything's good and cleared me for all kinds of activities except housework. I'm sending off my entry fees for Bonneville tomorrow.

Rand Man, Lil32, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  10. Did my part to jump start the economy by ordering a bunch of parts for the roadster project. Felt it was my patriotic duty.

65pacecar, Lil32, bob b. and 2 others like this.
  11. The first round of my scoop turned out good, the flange is flat so I trimmed it up and after my tele/video doctor's visit I put 2 more layers on it. I also scored 2 new window regulators for the 57 p/u for half price.
    20200428_132459.jpg 20200428_162049.jpg

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF8090.JPG DSCF8074.JPG DSCF8098.JPG Drive By Birthday Party for my Grandson turning 8 was Great! Custom made cake for the times will be remembered. Bob

X38, Ron Funkhouser, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  13. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

April 29th 2020 Moving along with the shop inventory and organization ops. Moving South along the West wall, the next shelving unit is mostly occupied with BillyBob parts. These were for improvements when BillyBob was still a stock truck. There are some maintenance fluids and tools here also and they are now relocated forward in the organizational line of march.

The remaining contents of the shelving unit were triaged as still useful for the BillyBob or Deerslayer builds, scrap pile or swap meet pile. I found several treasures I had lost memory of. I didn't do much with the third shelf down other than tidy it. Too much heavy lifting. A 848 Stovebolt head and a three-speed transmission with overdrive, for example.

The rest of the parts are mostly door parts and engine maintenance parts - ignition parts, hoses, etc.

[​IMG]

14. 48stude

48stude

Finished my ewheel. removed my old POC ewheel and mounted my newly built wheel to my work station. Bill
    P1020719.JPG

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We had to make a run to get some cash at the drive-up bank, locally. It was strange as we had not gone out of the house for almost a month, due to the rules of “locked in place and stay at home.” There was no need to go anywhere as we have already seen the local area many times over. We had deliveries of food since we are susceptible seniors, even with masks and gloves. So, our son said get with the times and order to get deliveries.

But, the big thing was we needed extra cash for the tips of each delivery person coming to our front porch. The stash was getting low, so we made the trip outside for the first time in a while. We were still keeping to the rule of necessary car driving as we just rolled down the window and pushed a few buttons. No contact with anyone, as a matter of fact, the roads were almost empty, but people still needed to get somewhere or back home. One old Ford truck was seen rolling down the main drag to the ocean.

As long as we were outside, we made a short jaunt to the beach to see what it looked like. Well, the whole South Coast of the OC is inundated with the dreaded, “red tide.” The ocean everywhere never looked so awful. It looked like a day after the downpour of rain that lasted for weeks. But, there is no rain in sight. Just the awful looking red tide. So, as beach aficionados, that would keep us away from visiting anytime.

The odd thing is, there is nowhere to park near the beaches as they are open (to keep the crazies from protesting something about their rights). The lots and entrances are all fenced in to keep the people from parking. So, no one was on the beach…or pier.

Back in the surfing days, nothing kept us out of the waves. We all paid for it the day after if that awful water was not drained out of our sinuses. I certainly paid the price with a few days of being stuffed up and feeling terrible. One good, rare thing is that during the day, the algae blooms (phytoplankton in the water) can cause the ocean to look red or dirty brown. But, at night, when agitated, it can create a blue “bioluminescence.” (see current You Tube videos)
    upload_2020-4-29_11-1-26.png
    Jnaki

On the way home our Ipod playlist hit a Santana song called “Soul Sacrifice.” That happened to be the good example of everyone’s situation these days, but it made us bob our heads as we drove home to become “locked in place.” The fun thing was to immediately go to the large TV screen and look for the Woodstock version of “Soul Sacrifice.”
    upload_2020-4-29_9-53-48.png
    We became the 45,056,676th viewers since it was put online. 45 million plus? That is a big wow! It made us want to get up and dance around, while still being “locked in place.” No headphones for us, so, turn it up and dance!!!

(SINCE FINDING THIS POST, 3,000 MORE PEOPLE HAVE WATCHED THIS SOUL SACRIFICE UP TO NOW...)
    (Yes, it was a little funny, a couple of seniors acting like we were “20 somethings” back in 1968-69) anything for a laugh in these oddball times and restrictions. Stay safe...

Soul Sacrifice Santana at Woodstock

Attached Files:

16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Took apart a 57 & a 58 WCFBs in preparation for my dual quads! Fun stuff[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 62rebel

62rebel

Bought a Holley 600 ... to have just in case

osage orange and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My work on my sons 40 Chevrolet is getting close to being done. Yesterday the final test was done with the carb linkage/foot feed/radiator shroud/15” fan. All went well; never went over170-180 degrees.
    Today was the front fenders, grille, and hood. It also went really well only needing some minor tweaking. I’ll leave the head and parking lights and the front bumper to him. He was waiting for the back of the bumper paint to dry and I went home. 123BEDD6-E4AC-4159-BEA3-A84830CBFF53.jpeg E16A6E37-CD1D-4586-B4E2-9F2145AB07D8.jpeg CCF2E2F1-4FFC-497A-95D3-A23818932C11.jpeg 775E2770-F1C7-49F4-AD0E-A60DC10F3422.jpeg 6DE78E61-B843-4CD2-A599-35BC421D4722.jpeg

LAROKE, Petejoe, The37Kid and 12 others like this.
  19. I ruined A rear tire on my OT 82 chevy 3/4 ton wrecker. Durn Radial sidewalls are too fragile. So I was fixing a set of bias ply tires for it 6 ply bias Buckshot mudders on the rear and just fixing to round up some front tires. And My eldest son came driving up. And his wife was following in a brand new 4x4 3/4 ton 4 door chevy. He gifted me his 2006 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton. Said it had no trade in value. Pretty nice truck extended cab. with a towing package rated to tow 14000 pounds. Needs tires so I suppose two more bias buckshot mudders will do the job? And its too high from the ground so a set of running boards are needed.

20. ERguitar

ERguitar

Finished body working my passenger door and just had to hang it to feel like I'm making some progress. KIMG0098.JPG ]

RAR1947, osage orange, LAROKE and 6 others like this.
  21. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

DId nothing car related bit did finish building a grapple for my tractor front end loader. Got a few more adjustments and a bit more welding but it works great.

Attached Files:

22. autonoob

autonoob

Building gun storage for my Dad. This DIY project will keep me busy during the quarantine period.

Attached Files:

osage orange likes this.
  23. Finished up some yard work, then cleaned and coated the 56 wagon frame with a rust treatment will let it cure for a couple of days, then wire brush and paint some of it, Lots to do on it before starting mock up and assembly.

65pacecar likes this.
  24. rudestude

rudestude

Was doing some kind of crude, but helpful, mock up and mental down loading of some ideas on a adjustable coilover mount for my Studebaker Champion, driveway build, project today.
    But due to some soggy weather , that always sucks, it got moved to my kitchen temporarily....being single allows me to do that...and I think I came up with something that I'm going to try.
    Actual parts will be of steel and not paper and wood. 20200314_194052.jpeg 20200314_193718.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Are these going on the Cad ?

Mike Miller likes this.
  26. The Buxom woman in the white coat standing on the sidewalk. She certainly is a Heavy Duty beauty!

27. Nice son!

Ben

Old wolf likes this.
  28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

They probably spent more than the so-called fortune that they are looking for is worth....

swade41 likes this.
  29. ^^ Amen!

I watched a show with Geraldo Rivera looking for Al Capone's hidden treasure. An hour long show of Capone's life punctuated with Geraldo "digging" into some false wall. Total BS and I told myself never again.

30. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

April 30th 2020 Going thru the BillyBob parts on the shelving unit, I found two gems from the past, the first accessories I bought for my first car, a '59 Ford sedan, "Henry". A bare foot shaped gas pedal and a piston shaped shift lever knob.

The shift knob set screw had issues. When "speed-shifting" from first to second, the piston knob could come off the three-on-the-tree and you could end up missing the shift, bruising your knuckles on the windshield and raking your forearm on the shift lever. I have fonder memories of the foot pedal and plan to use it in the upcoming BillyBob build.

Years ago, my brother wrote of these two items on the BillyBob site - "It all started when my maternal grandparents bought Krash a '59 Ford Three Hundred Custom, four door sedan for high school graduation. The Ford was powered by a 223 cu. in. six cylinder and a three speed transmission. As was typical of a 200 dollar car, much work was needed. Krash responded to this challenge by spending his meager funds on wide oval tires, a piston head shift lever, and a foot shaped gas pedal. Krash's careful accessory selections seemed to anger Dad who, for some inexplicable reason, felt that repair of things like bad brakes was more important. Dad just didn't understand the importance of looking cool. Why wide oval tires on a wore out, ten year old, four door sedan was cool is beyond the scope of this essay."

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.