Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Holley Performance has acquired Halibrand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OneRustedDodge, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Hey HAMBers,

It's a long story, but i wound up in federal court against Halibrand Performance in 2014/15 over the Halibrand trademarks I acquired, while the defendant was claiming ownership over them. Long story short, the side with the most money wins in a civil suit and he had me by the throat after a year and was forcing me to file bankruptcy over selling t-shirts at 25-years-old (i was under court order to not discuss any of this while he was the registered owner).

I kept tabs on the trademark in the time since, as Halibrand was not really being used as a brand, especially after the owner fell ill and passed away. Two weeks ago, the USPTO (US trademark registration) updated with Holley Performance as the new owners. I feel like they may do what is the most valuable with the brand, but I wanted to share the information here since there's quite a bit of Halibrand interest.

What are your thoughts on this? Could be interesting.

-durs

Attached Files:

cryobug, tractorguy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  2. craigibc

craigibc

glad to see it is leaving Kansas. I hope they can restore some credibility to the brand.

Joemama, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Interesting! I’m not a big Halibrand lover but it’s nice to know they aren’t going away like most things vintage automotive. I think Holley owns damn near everything now. Hope they do well.

mad mikey, hrm2k, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. badvolvo

badvolvo

I believe Holley owns Weiand. I just got done removing the new Weiand water pump because the back plate was leaking. What do you think I saw? IMG_3033.jpg

5. badvolvo

badvolvo

Gasket apparently, fit something else. IMG_3034.jpg

6. primed34

primed34

I didn't know there was a Halibrand left to buy. Be interesting to see what Holley does with it. I doubt the world needs anymore Chinese wheels.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

And yet , I have gut feeling the Chinese made wheels are coming.

Joemama, Hombre, Blue One and 4 others like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Didn't Holley buy So-Cal at one time, before selling it back to Pete ?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Does anybody remember W.R. Grace? I'll be glad to elaborate if anyone is curious. ;0

10. My Dad worked for W.R. Grace in management when I was born. Please elaborate. I know nothing of them other than Dad worked for them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Damn, Would you folks please hit the "Full Image" button before you post pictures.:rolleyes: Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 10.25.22 AM.png

i.rant, Deuces, AHotRod and 12 others like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very curious...Same W.R. as Grace Catalyst Technologies? (wasn't that name also synonymous with the 'life preserver' thrown to Richard LeJuerrne around 2001?)

loudbang likes this.
  13. So, am I reading this right, that you were selling Halibrand logo t-shirts and felt you held the trademark for doing so.? I'm a bit confused. Isn't it usually done with just a licensing fee paid to the trademark holder? Sorry you lost the case, sadly, like you say, the big money usually wins. I don't see Holley ever bringing back quick change rears or Sprint or Speedway wheels.

Deuces, clem, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Glad to see Halibrand in some form of continuation but its relevancy in hot rods and racing will never be as it was while in Teds' control, its the "way of the world" I guess.

Not Chinese!!!

20160910_165247.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Lil32, Deuces, Blue One and 5 others like this.
  15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Sweet!! Now go get yourself some
    CHINESIUM WHEELS

Deuces, clem, deadbeat and 9 others like this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Too true, Don... But they can go the way of Von Dutch... (ask any teeny-bopper!)

Deuces, nochop, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

What trademarks did you acquire? If you held them legally, how did you lose them? Who was the defendant?

clem, Deuces, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

WR Grace and Whittaker Corp. when on a buying spree in the early to mid seventies in the high performance industry. EELCO, Mr. Gasket, Ansen and Heddman Hedders were just a few of the companies sucked up by these outfits. Lee Eliminators was one of the umbrella trade names WR Grace used. Basically, these guys rolled through the SEMA show with a shopping list. Newly minted MBA’s were convinced that they knew how to take a very profitable company and make real money. The MBA’s lacked one thing: product knowledge and passion for the industry. It’s said that Bob Heddman sold for big bucks and ended up buying the company back at a 90% discount!

Deuces, Tman, HemiDeuce and 13 others like this.
  19. ......I love stories like that.:)

20. I think there's more to this story that we haven't heard yet. If the OP was selling items with the Halibrand logo and didn't actually own the trademark or had not paid the trademark holder a licensing fee, then he was breaking the law, plain and simple. I'm not accusing him of that, but it would be nice if he came back to this thread and explained a few things. We've all seen what "knock-offs" can do by undermining the legitimate products. Some are even quite dangerous if not built to proper standards and are a critical automotive part. C'mon OP, fill us in with the rest of the story. We await your return.

21. Stay tuned, will be back after he finishes unloading a shipment of knock off Gucci purses. ......just kidding, I have no clue what is legal or not.;)

Deuces, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

So what holding company / conglomerate/ mutual fund holds Holley's purse strings ??

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^^ this^^^^

Some companies just need to be left alone and die a graceful death.

Problem is some group looking to make a killing find a old company or trade name, buy it up, produce cheap junk ass parts, throw the old trade name on it wanting and hoping that, that name with its vintage recognition will make people run out and buy the parts.

Again the problem, they have no real knowledge nor do they really care as long as that trademark makes them money and when it stops they'll just let it fade away until the next set of buyers show up looking for name trademarks.

In the mean time we have companies like holley etc. Putting out parts made over seas to save money and produced at lower quality. We, the end user end up with junk parts.

24. Lincolnshire Equity Fund IV who bought it from,
    Monomoy Capital Partners.
    :) Car guys, I’m sure:)

clem, Deuces, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  25. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I don’t understand the original post. You were selling t shirts having acquired the Halibrand trademarks, and sued someone in civil court (defendant) who has You by the neck with deep pockets. Exactly why did you bring suit?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

NONE of this really matters to the Chinese anyways when it comes to stealing USA made products, and marketing them as name brand, or giving them a "cool" sounding name, like Assault intake manifolds, MSD copied ignitions, and even using a name like AMERICAN Shifters to get people to buy them for cheaper prices. At first glance, they even look "good", until you you look close and see none of the port sizes are the same, bolt holes don't line up, etc, etc, etc. . They already make and sell Gibson guitars; they actually have a fake Gibson name and serial number on them, along with "Made in USA" on them, fake Holley carburetors, all kinds of intake manifolds, wheels, exhaust components, etc, etc, etc. Heck, they even make viruses to spring on the world now. It's long past time people quit buying their crap, literally and figuratively. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Bob Lowry, neverdun, i.rant and 23 others like this.
  27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

None of this Chinese stuff is a problem if you buy good old American made vintage parts.
    Want a Holley carb? Rebuild a old one that was American made. Rebuild wheel cylinders. Rebuild a swap meet distributor. Refurbish a set of mag wheels. All it takes is time and in the end there is a sense of accomplishment. Not as easy as 1-800-send it to me and at times sourcing parts can be a time eater.

28. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

There is a book that explains why and how many companies do this.
    The name of the book is "The Buyout of America" and how Private Equity is destroying jobs and killing the American Economy.
    This book will really open you eyes to how these companies operate and how they sell off everything that's not nailed down and then sell what left to another Private Equity firm and it's all done legally because there are no laws against it.

Jimbo

Deuces, deadbeat, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  29. chopped

chopped

The Chinese sell cheap junk because Americans buy cheap junk. It's really that simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.