Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which carter AFBs are best for blown SBC.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weemark, Apr 27, 2020.

1. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

Ive been looking for a pair of carters to run on a 4-71 on a 350 and ive been offered two different pairs of carbs. There isnt any difference in price between the two pairs, just thought i would mention that in case someone said go for the cheapest pair.

Out of the two pairs is there a better pair to have that would be more suitable for a blown sbc?

One pair is two 4761S. i believe these are 500 cfm carbs and were built for the aftermarket market - they never came on any engine from the factory.

The other pair consists of a 9502S and a 9504S so are later carter competition carbs. These are also about 500cfm each, im not sure if these come on any engine from the factory or if they were just aftermarket carbs.

Any info appreciated.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Does the fuel inlet side matter?

pretty sure they were all aftermarket carbs. I have a pair of the earlier ones on my Barracuda, and the later ones on my Chevy II.

3. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

I would prefer the fuel inlet to be on the side rather than the back of the carbs, more for convenience than anything else.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I meant, left or right side? Do both carb styles have them on the same side?

5. carbking

carbking

4761s is genuine Carter 500 CFM no choke universal linkage.

The other 2 are F/M clones, even though they are probably marked Carter. One is emission calibrated, the other is not.

There is no question here, use the genuine Carters.

Jon.

weemark likes this.
  6. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

Sorry both carbs have them on the same side. The inlet is on the left hand side of both sets of carbs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  7. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

Yes the other ones have like a black ribbon across the front of the carb which says carter competition series or something like that.