Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pandemic induced cruises

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 25, 2020.

1. They are popping up again here in the Portland/Vancouver area. I am getting a few invites and heads up's from fellow local car guys of various cruising popping up in the smaller towns around Portland and Vancouver. Downtown Portland though is clamping down on the cars again as the tuner group decided a couple of weeks ago to block off the I-405 (Fremont) Bridge and do donuts on it. Street racing has also picked up again with the empty streets. They are catching a couple of people every night now.

I took my O/T 68 Camaro out for a long cruise though over the weekend. It felt good to get out and row the gears.

61Cruiser and guthriesmith like this.
  2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

My wife is so bored she went with me on a short cruise. No organized cruise, just getting out and about. She was amazed at the looks/thumbs up/etc we got just riding around. We must have seen a dozen HAMB friendly vehicles running the roads.

mad mikey and guthriesmith like this.
  3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I don't know if it's just me but this whole thing just seems to be sapping all the energy out of me and things I should be doing I keep putting off for tomorrow. It's hard to get motivated. Like you other fellows I'm starting to see more people out and about when I take a rare trip from home. I think it has a lot to do with the weather getting better which it makes it a harder pill to swallow that this summer of shows and swap meets will most likely be a bust.

Gman0046 likes this.
  4. 4ty

4ty

Every good day here I've been getting out in the 40 and doing 20-30 miles and seeing some others on the road.
    Paul in CT

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Wish we had a local cruise for old cars only. Suspect most of these so called "cruises" being reported on around the country consist mostly of Soccer Moms and small children blowing their horns.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    nochop likes this.
  6. Is it a cruise, if you go alone? I'm using my RPU for the few errands I run.

61Cruiser likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our Governor gave us back our rights to golf, fish, shoot and build houses again. How nice of him. I'm driving the 34 to the course Friday, then on my way home I think I'll grab a trout out of my neighbors pond, shoot it and build a little BBQ pit to celebrate. :rolleyes:

8. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

image.jpeg I've been going out by myself, and the only up side is there is very little traffic.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Word is' that after this pandemic situation, things are going to be much different!
    (historically speaking, that is how it has been after every excuse the 'powers that be' can exercise their brave new ideas)
    What with all the plots (extended sidewalks, rolling curbs, etc.,) to discourage driving thru the downtown areas (Anti-Cruise laws) wouldn't it be a hoot if downtown cruising was NOW encouraged?
    ...to keep folks from conjugating too close at games, car shows, movie theaters, etc.
    It's a thought...

mad mikey and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sure there were motorcycles and late models, but there were in excess of 500+ pre-72 nice, finished cars. Soccer moms, not so much, unless they were caught up in it by accident. Most were lining the street watching from lawn chairs.

61Cruiser, mad mikey and David Gersic like this.
  11. SlamIam

SlamIam

Cruising is social distancing. Here in the badlands (90% of California land is rural) lots of people in small towns drive old cars as routine. Most are not in a hurry and rear-end accidents are rare. If we want to see rude drivers tailgating each other and driving like maniacs we usually have to get on the 6-lane state highway or visit a large city. In the Sierra Nevada foothills are hundreds of miles of rural roads through fields of wildflowers right now, so a morning drive in the hills followed by a roadside picnic is popular. Seeing people on the side of the road eating lunch feels like the late 50s when I grew up. I've enjoyed lots more shop time since this Covid thing began, I may even finish a project.

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

This Thursday marks the end of the 2nd week the coupe has been road worthy this year. We have already put on nearly 300 miles! Nothing organized, just out for a ride.

Sunday my son got his 57 Dodge wagon out and his family went for a cruise.

I see a time in the near future when my wife and I in our coupe, our daughter and her son in his 64 Chrysler, and my son with his family in his 57 Dodge will be doing a family cruise one nice Sunday afternoon. We did one in our off topic rides about a month ago. Come on sunshine and warm weather!

Of course, we will done our face masks (at least have them along), and stay our social distance apart, in accordance to our Governor's permission. Gene

mad mikey and Roothawg like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We need to bring back the drive-in diner and drive-in theaters. Safe in the comfort of your own cars back seat. Drive-in bars? Nah...scratch that one.

oldsfrench, nochop, Petejoe and 3 others like this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

A mention was made about a 500 car cruise in Oklahoma of pre 72 nice finished vehicles. Does anybody have any pictures? Sounds like wishful thinking to me, the picture I saw were mostly late models.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  15. dwollam

dwollam

We took a 110 mile drive yesterday in the Model T's and our '31 Roaster Pickup. It was a beautiful day and the gravel roads had all been graded a day or two before!

Dave

20200428_142338.jpg

RMR&C, alfin32, Rocky72 and 12 others like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's cool.

mad mikey likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I guess we all have our own opinion of what a pre 72 finished car cruise should look like.

18. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

We hauled a '67 Goat out to Lincoln, NE over the weekend & had dinner at a KFC in Beautiful downtown Beatrice.
    KFC was out of coleslaw & theirs is the best! (Well, tough times, you know...)
    It was quite a site! The main drag had a slew of cars & the local Sheriff was even part of the Caravan.
    Saw a candy '59 Chebby, some Tri-Fives, some bitchin' Camaros, an old Ford Pick up, '56 Olds, like a '32 High boy to name a few. Very cool- Dinner & a show!

mad mikey, Gman0046 and guthriesmith like this.
  19. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

My town had one a month ago and the cops were pulling everyone over and trying to run off the people, it was sad.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I am sure that lots of late models end up in these cruises too. I’m just more excited that folks are actually doing this as a pastime again at least for now. Even when we did it in high school, there was only a small group of guys with pre-72 stuff (Yea, I am likely a young guy in this conversation). Most were later Mustangs, Jeeps, Camaro’s, etc. I don’t know how many miles I put on my cars back then going up and down about a two-mile stretch of road in town challenging other cars and making friends. I like the idea of us being the group that can show the younger generations what cool cars are and that there can be fun outside of gaming and social media.

Also, I’m betting that several of these cars don’t get driven much and are coming out of garages. I just talked to a high school buddy that may try to get his high school car roadworthy enough this week to drive it in the cruise Saturday. It is OT for here, but pre-72 and hasn’t been out of his garage in several years. It is one of the iconic cars for our town that I remember seeing go down the road sideways more than straight and was likely some of what led to my own juvenile delinquency. ;)

61Cruiser, Rolleiflex and Roothawg like this.
  21. Roll 'em out guys and gals! I will be back out when my header inserts get here from Speedway...

22. No show's, no cruse in's, no club meetings, but the gas is cheap and I drove the old beater to the hospital to do my labs, It seemed so strange that I didn't have anyone approach me and ask me questions about my car.

6 months ago it took me at least 20 minutes to leave the parking lot talking to friendly people, didn't happen today but I really enjoyed driving around with the cowl vent open and the temperatures in the upper 70's.

I even carried my camera and never took a single photo. HRP

mad mikey likes this.
  23. 6sally6

6sally6

Maybe all the "hand-wringerz" have come to their senses and are starting to act normal again. (although I have seen some foolz wearing a mask .....in their car.....by themselves!):rolleyes::rolleyes:
    6sally6

Montana1 likes this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah like you really need citations, fines and insurance hikes.

25. Same thing in central FL. Everybody is getting out. Lots of bikes and hot rods. Cruise-in Friday and Saturday nights (SD and low attendance so far). This Friday they're going on a 100 miler up the west coast.

Several restaurants opening up again (carry-out still). Looks like things are going to go again! Saw three hot rods just going to Wal-Mart the other day!

mad mikey likes this.
  26. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

Man budgets that is one sweet looking model a sedan, I like it ,,the rake is perfect.

27. Pretty big cruise tonight in the town I cruised in high school. I would guess there were around 100 or so pre-72 cars and pickups. Lots of later model stuff too, but pretty much all specialty stuff. Hung out with lots of old friends some of which I haven’t seen in 30 years or so. Good time for sure. I took my soon-to-be 16 year old son and hearing all the stories of how things were, he wishes people still hung out like that every weekend.

Montana1 likes this.
  28. Went on a 100 miler on Fri. Everything was cool. Look up 37spiker on U-Toob if you'd like to see it.

29. A pic of my beater a buddy just sent me from his Chevelle he has owned since high school.

DBDCDD6B-FCA7-4689-AB55-DE6A42E67B8C.jpeg