Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pancaked Hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Apr 26, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

When I get back to working on my 49 Chevy Truck, the plan is to mildly chop the top........probably two inches but maybe 3. A friend suggested that he thought they looked better if the hood was also pancaked to lessen the bullnose on the truck somewhat. Anybody out there with any pictures of the old Chevy trucks with the hood pancaked ?

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Can't say I've ever heard the term.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  3. I always get hungry when I see a pancaked hood..

town sedan, Texas Webb and ekimneirbo like this.
  4. williebill

williebill

Lots of work, but looks very cool on the right car or truck, if done well.
    But only custom guys will give a shit. Nobody else understands anything about it.

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Looks like Youtube has some good examples of what it takes to get it done.

kidcampbell71 and ekimneirbo like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Hello,
    Here is a drawing I did of Jack Rudy's Chevy pick up truck from So Cal. I saw the truck at the original 2017 Lions Dragstrip Museum Grand Opening. It was parked out back in the Cacklefest area. It just looked like it should be there from the late 50's when Lions opened.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...iday-art-show-11-29-19.1175259/#post-13343267

The drawing is very simple and plain. but the real truck is a work of art.
    upload_2020-4-26_11-51-5.png
    It had everything in a 50's custom truck that would be necessary for being period correct and just one fine pick up truck. If we did see custom trucks from the late 1950s time period, this would be the style that was prevalent.

Jnaki
    Go online and look up JACK RUDY or just his truck. There I am sure you will get the answers you are looking for the hood modification.

town sedan and ekimneirbo like this.
  7. Google Eric Clapton Chevrolet 1949 AD truck, Roy Brizio built, they took 1” out the roof and another inch from the Hood.
    Lots of build pics on Brizio’s website.
    Stunning pickup!

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Looks good if done right in proper proportion to the rest of the vehicle.
    Pancaking just to pancake is not very tasty.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Ok you know how YouTube is you go from one thing to ten things away. I caught this with this quote in the beginning Boyd Coterpin and and a H.A.M.B. banner at the end. So please see it through it more than hoeky in the middle, ah, beginning middle and end but there is damn good custom stuff......:)

I forgot the link

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I pie cut a hood on a 46 ford car. Not my idea by the way. Remember when you pie cut a hood it opens the gap at the rear top of the hood also. Lippy

14. Lots of compound curves. You'll need to be a pretty good metal worker to pull it off.

15. Pancake/piecut. I think we're talking piecut or sectioning here. I thought pancake was welding the hood on and making a smaller hood opening in the middle?
    [​IMG]

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

true, the op is talking about sectioning a hood. Pancaking is making the opening flat.

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The terminology may vary over time and and different locations, and I don't claim to know the real origin of the word.
    What I was referring to is removing a tapered section from a hood, and in this case (49 Chevy), making the hood somewhat flatter and less bulbous.......like getting a nose job. That was the way the term was presented to me while discussing how a top chop affects the looks of a 49 with a friend of mine. I think over time words may get misused enough that they take on meanings for the less informed (like me) until they become broader in definition. I think often, the objective is to change the nose of the hood rather than the top surface. My apologies if I'm using the term incorrectly, but I think it has taken on a broader generic meaning these days. I do think it would have been more correct to say "sectioning" in the pictures below, but thats what I'm interested in, "sectioning". Thanks for "scooling" me ;)
    View attachment 4661511

View attachment 4661512

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2020
    54delray, loudbang and town sedan like this.
  18. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

For what it’s worth, @ekimneirbo , my definition of pancaking is the same as yours. Been wrong for a long time I guess.....

neverdun, loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  19. town sedan

town sedan

Flat as a pancake? where's that rabbit photo.
    -Dave

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

When you look at those tape lines from front to rear does that look like a piece of pie or a pancake? I believe that side view is where pie cut came from. Lippy

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, the original meaning when people were customizing cars in the 50's was that a pancaked hood was welded shut and a new opening made that was smaller and made the hood itself flat without changing the shape of the car. clearly the term has been misused by current customizers when what they are really doing is sectioning a hood. (I went ahead and deleted the magazine cover pics above that show off topic late pickups with horrible giant billet wheels)

24. loudbang, ekimneirbo and razoo lew like this.
  25. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Here is my 48 F1 that I modified: 2" chop, 3" cab channeled (moved the floor up) and 3" sectioned hood.

Before:

Truck in garage.jpg
    After:

View attachment 4663006
    Hood:

3 in. taping.jpg

Cut 3 in.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2022
    town sedan, loudbang, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

X38, 54delray and K13 like this.
  27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That truck almost looks factory...just cleaned up a bit. Very tastefully done.

loudbang likes this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

So you sectioned the cab and doors too ? The bed looks a lot better sitting higher in relation to the back of the cab.
    Wife came downstairs while I was looking at your truck. She really liked it too, especially the color. Then she asked me when mines going to be done ?

loudbang likes this.
  29. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did this one for a friend a few years ago. Don't remember exactly how much it was dropped at the front, but it was 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inches I think. Just marked a line right around the circumference of the hood in the middle of where I thought it might be easiest to weld and metal finish.
    After that, I pried the two halves apart, so the hood could sink inside the bottom piece. Dropped it 1 1/2 inches, and put a few sheet metal screws in it. Sent it back to the guy to look at and put it on his truck. Told him to move it up or down to see what position he liked it best at, then screw it back together again at that position and bring it back to me. He lives 4 hours away.
    First of all, he wanted it welded together in one piece. The original design has a dropped channel for the trim piece to sit into. He wanted it smooth on top. So I replaced all that channel down the middle with a 1 1/8 wide strip of 18 gauge cold rolled sheet. Two welds an inch apart down the middle of the hood. After that, I cut around the perimeter to drop it and sent it to him.
    After getting the hood back, I marked the cut line, removed the sheet metal screws, and cut off the excess material. Spot welded back together, etc. Spot with mig, grind down tacks, then tig weld the whole seam.

After the drop, there is a big gap at the front edge. I tried to mock it up by just prying the two pieces together, but the leading edge of the hood had too much slant. Thus, I cut it right over the front, where the photos show, and moved the whole front edge forward, then put a filler strip in on the opening left across the top of the hood.

IMG_3504.jpg IMG_3505.jpg IMG_3506.jpg IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3508.jpg IMG_3509.jpg

town sedan, loudbang, Hnstray and 2 others like this.