Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans Mount Idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm one to use existing holes and or points of fastening rather than a total redo. That said I have an aftermarket 32 Ford frame built for seemingly a 700 or later trans. It has a nice drop out cross member but does not reach Turbo 350.

Now the question. Has anyone ever built a trans mount bracket that uses the 4 tail housing bolt's?[​IMG]

If a 700 can hang by these four bolts why not a 350?
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

TH 400 also mounts off the rear , Go for it .

loudbang, town sedan and olscrounger like this.
  3. belair

belair

If Pete Eastwood says a rooster would pull a freight trian, I'd say hitch him up.

4. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

loudbang, Johnny Gee and squirrel like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

True considering I plan to come off original mounting point with a flat plate (think upside down cantilever) so it can reach rearward just a tad further than tail housing bolts to intersect with cross member.

loudbang likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

A sketch of what you plan to do, might help us help you evaluate how well it will work.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It'll work Jim. I'm just throwing out the load against bolts at tail housing. Like I said if later longer heavier trans can do it so can a 350.

loudbang likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Well...the load on the bolts might be quite a bit different, depending on how you make the mount adapter. A sketch would clarify that.

loudbang likes this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

How long a length? Flat 1/4" plate would be enough for few inches..

loudbang likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just for you Jim. Not to scale but you get the idea.

Trans mount.jpg

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

More than enough. You could just go from the verticals forward to mount with small corner gusset.

loudbang and s55mercury66 like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

With that design, and heavy plate, you don't need to go to the upper bolts.

Nice sketch! thanks

Automotive Stud and loudbang like this.
  13. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Check out Paul Horton Welder Series I believe they have just what you are looking for.
    Part No 35010 and Pt No 35012

loudbang likes this.
  14. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Check out Paul Horton Welder Series I believe they have just what you are looking for.
    Part No 35010 and Pt No 35012

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My DD, OT, truck originally had a 700R4 transmission, and at 36K miles, it was dead on the side of the freeway in Redding, California; the 700R4 had bit the dust. My mother and Grandmother were on their way to Tyler, Texas for my college graduation, from Lynnwood, Washington (just outside of Seattle). Since it was an 82 truck, no one, not even the Chevrolet dealer in Redding, knew how to repair a 700R4. A local transmission shop backdated it to a TH350, and to connect the TH350 rear mount to where the 700R4 bolted to the cross-member, they made a 1/4" thick steel plate with 4 holes burned through it with an O/A torch; a real piece of work that I would up replacing. Also, GM paid 85% of the cost involved to swap the transmission out. I later made a different cross-member so the transmission mount bolted directly to it. But, the plate would probably still be in the truck if it did't just look like CRAP My Mother later gave the truck to me, after she spun the main bearings after running it out of oil! The drawing above, ^^^^^, is similar, just without the smaller brackets that attach to the transmission extension housing bolts. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This should shed some lite as to why I'm not fond of redoing attaching point of cross member mounts to frame per this tubular K member for which frame I'm working on has. I prefer to leave it alone.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Doane Spencer sez “do it”

C751A7FC-26C8-42E6-9A98-928D0820EC2B.jpeg

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  18. Hurst made something similar; should be easy enough to make a suitable version.
    s-l1600.jpg

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Johnny Gee

The question about the load on the tail housing bolts neglects to take into consideration that the tailhousing has a ‘spigot’ (? terminology) that inserts in the the back of the trans case. My point being, the bolts carry very little of the load in shear because of the interlocking of the tailhousing to the case. The two bottom bolts are, IMO, adequate. An alternative to four bolts might be to add a small pad to the new mount bracket that bears against the bottom of the case/tailhousing joint to share or eliminate entirely the shear loads on the bolts. Not really necessary, but it’s a slow night...conducive to overthinking...;)

Ray

Kevin Ardinger and loudbang like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To be honest when I started this thread the original idea was like that of the Hurst unit that Rich B posted but would be instead welded together as a single unit and was not going to connect to tail housing where trans mount normally goes. It changes consistently in my head "conductive to overthinking" as well.

I'm just happy that the idea is being accepted rather than looked at as a hack job. Which is why I really thru this to the wolves. ;)

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think that general idea (Hurst “style”) would be more than adequate. I looked again at your drawing and think it is more than needed, extending to the original pad mounting point, but no harm in that. I usually tend to overbuild, at least initially. I constantly look at professionally engineered parts/assemblies, trying to analyze and adopt the savvy to make better parts for myself. Usually, I am amazed at how much less an engineer thought was necessary than I did or would have. :D

You have several good choices.....

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The revised drawing (erasers are great) will only use the two bottom bolts that hold tail housing to the main case. There's a reason Hurst used only 3 bolts. Tail housing won't accidentally separate . I'm just increasing my safety factor but still using 4 bolts. o_O Or is the extra safety for someone else? :confused: I'll let you decide. :D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I like what you have drawn up in your drawing in post 10. I'd put a gusset on it though.
    The only issue I see with that is that it will raise the back of the trans the thickness of the metal. You may have to step it (cut and overlap) behind the trans mount boss on the trans to get it down that thickness.
    The thing I like about using that setup is you aren't adding any stress to the drop out trans mount. Running a plate forward off of it would add a lot of twist stress.
    If you haven't got it, this chart shows most of the dimensions on GM automatics and shows the back of the block to center of trans mount boss measurement on each. https://www.monstertransmission.com/Automatic-Transmission-Dimensions-Measurements_b_84.html It may not be of any use this time but it might verify your thoughts on what trans it was intended for.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not an issue. I know it's hard to till in post #16 put cross member is adjustable up and down. Yet another feature I wanted to take advantage of over redoing/moving/make new cross member and attaching points to frame.

25. I have a friend that builds to a very high standard (think Ridler, AMBR etc.)... on his current build, he too is using this same principle, but is mounting the trans from the top. So when viewed from underneath, the transmission looks like it just hangs from space with no crossmember.

Johnny Gee likes this.