Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. BJR

BJR

I vote strip the rears also. Not that you asked.

2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My opinion is not equal to your labor but there is no doubt the chrome looks way better.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Hombre

Hombre

Shiney, works best on that Olds...

4. Smrtmike

Smrtmike

I just read all 18 pages and you have been doing some great work on this car. I like the chrome wheels

EnragedHawk and Hombre like this.
  5. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’m another vote for strip the rears!!!!
    The chrome looks awesome!!!

6. AndersF

AndersF

I vote strip the rears to. With the fengerskirts you could get away to keep them as is or just paint the spokes silver.

chryslerfan55 and EnragedHawk like this.
  7. Those black spokes looked terrible compared to the chrome, I would do the rears as well.

8. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Really happy with how the wheels came out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the input!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slim38, nochop, 40FORDPU and 10 others like this.
  9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I do have a quick question. I’ve seen little bits of flash rust show up on the wheels. How do I stop that? I was honestly thinking about just spraying them down with wd40 or maybe clear coating them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Clean them and keep them waxed

EnragedHawk likes this.
  11. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

And now you know why someone had painted them. :p
    And you thought stripping them was hard work...

Old trick is to use wax and an old sock.
    1. Stick your hand in the sock
    2. Dip your socked hand into the wax
    3. ???
    4. Profit.
    Wires are hard work and upkeep. But look fantastic when kept shiny and chrome.

12. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Aw man! Hahaha Oh well. Maintenance I can handle. I’ll get on that tomorrow. Any particular kind of wax I should go with?

Also, any idea if center cap spinners could go on these wheels? Thought they might look cool.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

EnragedHawk likes this.
  14. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Those shiny wires really changed The look of the car!!!! They and the car look great!!!!!

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    EnragedHawk likes this.
  15. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

I think Meguiars has a decent spray bottle wax. Mothers has a 'one step' spray on 'wire wheel cleaner' in a bottle. Not sure if that has any kind of protectant in it. Might want to just peruse the local parts store and see what they have in spray on waxs. I haven't waxed anything in years that didn't come out of a spray gun where I spray on and walk away. But it's usually whatever is available/cheap.
    My thoughts on wire wheels that are bolted on with visible lug nuts is, no spinner/knock off. Leave it just as the button center cap. I think your wheels look good as is.

A faux spinner seems kinda 70's street rod/ricey. The old Cragar 30 spoke wires can look OK with a button cap, with the knockoff spinner, it's pimptacular.

Reminds me of those SWANGAS wheels you see on 'hood buckets.
    [​IMG]
    shhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaow
    :p :D

EnragedHawk likes this.
  16. Hombre

Hombre

Glad you choose that way to go, man they look great!!

EnragedHawk and loudbang like this.
  17. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Thanks all! I love the wheels. Really happy with them.

Not much to update. Replaced the spacers up front because a few studs were stripped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, this next thing is dumb, but I thought I’d share. Some friends and I are going to start a local car club for budget hot rod guys. I’ve been working on some shirts for us, and I thought they were pretty cool so I wanted to share.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Picture mostly because I hate a pictureless post. I included my latest project. Picked up a 54 Chevy dirt cheap. Haven’t gotten far on it clearly.

[​IMG]

Anyway, not exactly a problem, but it’s getting to me.

For anyone that kept up with this thread, remember my solution to the car overheating? A big ass fixed blade fan. Works amazing.

[​IMG]

But holy hell its loud. It’s ok in town, but the highway is a nightmare. I’ve managed to ignore it strictly because it works so well.

I’ve tried putting in an electric fan, but it still gives me overheating issues. If there’s a shroud, it blocks off too much air and overheats on the highway. If there’s no shroud, it overheats in town.

I’ve considered a few options, but unsure on any of them.

1) switch to a flex fan? I don’t know how much that would curb the noise.

2) switch to a fixed blade fan with a clutch? I’m not exactly sure if that would work the way I’m thinking.

3) buy a quality high CFM electric fan. I don’t mind this option, but I would hate to drop a lot of money on a fan that doesn’t improve my situation. I already have two that don’t do the job.

loudbang likes this.
  19. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

I like the idea of a fan with a clutch. Came from the factory on many cars. Got room?

loudbang likes this.
  20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It would be friggin close. I could space the radiator a little if I absolutely had too. I just want to make sure I get the fan close enough to the radiator to be effective without a shroud.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

With the fan as close as it is, a shroud isn't going to do you any good. There needs to be some space between the fan and radiator for the fan to draw air through the whole core. Is there any way that you can get that radiator forward?

loudbang likes this.
  22. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I could move it forward some, but not by much. The current fan and position work amazing, just too damn loud on the highway. Trying to find a quieter and functional replacement.

loudbang likes this.
  23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It sounds like you need a better stereo.

In all seriousness, while that noise may be annoying, it pales in comparison to driving a car that overheats IMHO. One of my biggest automotive pet peeves. A clutch fan might be your answer to the noise, but you're going to struggle to fit it all in there. Same would hold true for electric fans, which can actually create large dead areas on the radiator with the center of the fans not moving any air flow. Like a mechanical set up, you need to get the fan away from the radiator a bit to truly take advantage of the full surface area of the radiator. And since your car can stay cool, it tells me it's more air flow related than the rad being too small or other factors. Maybe a smaller spacer to move the fan back, and cut out some of the rad support to move the radiator forward, a clutch fan and a shroud?

loudbang likes this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sounds like you need to change the mufflers, they're muffling the music of that Rocket way too much!

oldsfrench likes this.
  25. Grabis

Grabis

I’m a big fan of dirt cheap 54’s. I’m 5 yrs in on a ground up build and hopefully I’ve removed enough rust that it makes it onto the road in 2021 .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Like your Olds. The whites look great.What the wealth of the whites.

27. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

I see you have picked up a '54, why do you hate yourself :p :D
    Everyone wants to be like Mike.

At higher engine speeds not only will it be quieter, but you will notice a pickup in engine power as the engine is not being dragged down from the parastic losses from that fan.
    Only problem is finding one that is not so aftermarket flashy.
    Ideally you would get a fan that has asymmetrical spaced blades, like the five or seven blade fans found on OEM.
    That spacing cuts down on noise.
    I think C3 Corvettes used a 7 bladed flex fan, that might be the ticket, or overkill.
    If you have any yards near you with 70-80's RWD sedans, I would suggest checking them out for a cheap alternative. Just make sure you don't use a reverse rotation fan.

Your current WP looks like one of the longer units.
    http://www.oldsmobility.com/oldsmo/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=391
    If you can do a measurement, the stubby pump with a clutched fan may just fit.
    68-72 Cutlass SBO/BBO non A/C used the ~5" snout pump. Only pain would be you would need to find a WP pulley to match your current setup.

Before going new aftermarket, check out the yardes for an electric fan assembly that would fit your radiator. Preferably something that may be more common, like a 90's Taurus. But the only thing with such a swap is an electric fan can pull quite a few amps. Factory ~60A alternator may not be able to keep up.

Too bad you are so far away, I would love to try a few things on cooling your car down with some simple to do mods.
    I'm being lazy at the moment, did you ever try putting an air dam under the rad support to help pull air through the radiator?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Hombre and loudbang like this.
  28. Nice!!! I just blocked off the heater hoses. Added seat heaters, so won't be driving much in the winter, just enough heat to break the chill.
    Keep up the great work
    Sam

loudbang and EnragedHawk like this.
  29. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

THAT has been on my mind lately, ha! I mostly miss hearing the exhaust. I'm leaning toward trying out a fan/clutch setup right now. Pretty sure I can get it in there.

In all seriousness, I used to have exhaust cutouts that I ran open all the time. That's probably why it didn't bother me so much. I've got it straight piped now, but all the exhaust noise is behind me with the fan noise in front of me!

Couldn't turn down a complete(ish) $500 '54! :D Already have a title in my name and everything!

I may try out the junk yard first. It would be a good/cheap place to start experimenting. I'm leaning toward fan/clutch unless I stumble across a good factory flex fan.

I did try out the air dam and even ran it for a while. I put in the air dam at the same time as the current fan. I didn't like the look of the dam, so I finally pulled it out. Everything kept working just as well.

loudbang likes this.
  30. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

[​IMG]

So just kinda shopping around, what do you guys think of this flex fan? Not too bad a price, it would bolt right up. I figure that and a shroud and I might be good to go.

Plus it’s a solid excuse to drive out to Summit.

loudbang likes this.