Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mallory double life spark plug wires

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gearhead695456, Apr 26, 2020.

1. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Hello I have one of these vintage Mallory distributors (kinda looks like magnito) I'm wondering were do I get the wires needed? Or do I make them? Theres a rubber boot looking thing under the cap looks like was made into the wires ? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You could make them up but PM GMC Bubba on here.

3. Rand Man likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

just buy a set of stock replacement 7mm wires, cut the end off, and put it together.

town sedan, wraymen, 30tudor and 4 others like this.

5. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

I get that part but the rubber keeper under the cap not sure what to do with. Btw, Bubba retired in February.

6. The wire pushes straight down through the (2) caps. Please don't use 8mm anything, it ruins the rubber seals at the top.

town sedan and lurker mick like this.
  7. Rand Man

Rand Man

I asked bubba what wires were needed on mine. He said to just use 7mm wires. When he shipped it back, it had a new set of wires installed. I guess he just stuck them in. Seemed like it made sense when I looked in the cap. Guess I’m not too helpful. Never mind.

town sedan and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

did you remove the 2 screws in the top to see how it works? there are small nail like points sticking out of the cap below the cover. the wires (with no terminals on them and cut flush) stick down into those nails. when you tighten the 2 screws, the rubber is squished and that is what keeps the wires from pulling out

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yeah, that’s what I should have said. I remember the nails. It makes sense if you look at it.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

oh...it's not obvious that you first remove the top plastic piece, then insert the wires through it, then through the rubber piece, then onto the pins, then carefully work the rubber down, and then the plastic, then screw it down.

silicone lube and lots of patience should help.

olscrounger and Moriarity like this.
  11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Do a search for Packard 440 wires.

town sedan and lurker mick like this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These caps work very well when used right. The inner cap has holes with "spikes" in them. One thing you should do is disassemble the unit and inspect the receptacles to make sure all of the holes are clean and the spikes are free of corrosion. The newest of these caps is probably close to 50 years old and have a good chance of having crud or corrosion problems. I have used lots of these and just about all of them had a cleanliness problem with one or more of the wire receptacles.

After you have the cap clean, just push the wires through the outer cap and the rubber insert so that they protrude slightly more than the receptacles are deep. Then, work the wires into the receptacles making sure that they center on the "spikes". Then just squeeze the assembly together enough to make sure the wires are firmly seated, insert the two screws and snug them up. Be careful not to strip them, as the threads are in the plastic cap. Because of this, the originals screws are quite long. I have had caps that have had one or both screws replaced with shorter ones. If the screws don't go all the way into the inner cap, I would suggest going to the hardware store and get a pair of the longest screws that fit. I have had a few caps with shorter screws where the threads in the inner cap were stripped. Most of these were made serviceable by using the proper length screws and using a little care in tightening them. If completely gone, the can be re-threaded to the next larger size (I think it would be a #10), or repaired by using an insert (helicoil) or even the epoxy thread restorer product made by "Loctite".

I use Packard 440 wire from The Brillman Company with "Rajah" ends from the same source. Done right, these are the best ignition wires you can use (unless you like listening to the crop reports on AM radio while driving)..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

My brother put a Mallory dist. in his 66 Vette 427-425 and he knew somebody who worked on B-52's at homestead AFB and gave him some military orange wire was 7 mm. It went in that dist . cap and with Rajah clips on the end it worked perfect.

town sedan likes this.
  14. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I like the cloth covered ones from the HotRodcompany, . www.thehotrodcompany.com Lube the wires up with silicon grease. If you go with electronic ignition, you need the radio suppression oms

Attached Files:

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brillman...they have other stuff too
    https://brillman.com/

lurker mick likes this.